The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We'll tell you, but you've got to promise to never use this phrase again. 

No deal, at least they didn’t ride the pine all night.

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

3 by the sound of it, whether thats loans or permanent signings we'll soon find oot 

…and it sounds like Arnott and Coulson are probably heading on loan, perhaps with Young when Lang and Musonda are back.

7 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Has Connolly been given more of a free role?
I thought he was brought in as a winger, with Zanatta on the other side? But several times in the games we have played, he seems to find himself in the same areas or positions as Dario.

4-2-3-1 is always going to give the wide guys a bit more freedom to move about, I guess. Better for Connolly's game. Nice range of passing and crossing - you want him dropping into a free space to pick a pass... and avoiding getting into close contact with a defender as he'll always lose that battle.

Edited by renton

Tempo. That's what impressed me in the game. Never stopped. Passing was sweet, movement on and off the ball was good, and it was good to watch. I know we won't have that sort of time in league games but you can only beat what's in front of you. Agree on Poplatnik though. Started well and looked busy but disappeared. Keatings did more as a late sub.

Can only play against what's in front of you but Brechin were a poor affair and fair play to the hardy souls who came to give them some support. A very dominate performance, few goals, clean sheet. Can't complain at that. 

Thought zanatta was different class last night, caused all sorts of issues for them. Played well up until his goal but then after he scored he looked a different player, running at the defence with confidence taking folk on and getting past them. I know its only against brechin but if we can get a bit of confidence in him i think we have a player.

I was a bit worried at the attendance last night. I know these league cup games are generally poorly attended but given the circumstances you would have thought we could have pulled in more than 594.

I hope it's not a sign that a reasonable percentage of our support has drifted away over the last 18 months.

19 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I was a bit worried at the attendance last night. I know these league cup games are generally poorly attended but given the circumstances you would have thought we could have pulled in more than 594.

I hope it's not a sign that a reasonable percentage of our support has drifted away over the last 18 months.

I guess it’s still a bit pre season like and Brechin are hardly a draw but that was the first competitive game at Stark’s in many months. I know it isn’t on the season book and the process for getting tickets may have put out of a few who’d have preferred to just rock up on the night but that’s a disappointing take up.

Edited by Enigma

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Aye, when you consider we took there abouts same figure away to Cowdenbeath on Saturday I'd have thought we'd have managed to entice a fair few more for last nights game with it being at home. Cracking night (weather wise) for it as well. 

3 hours ago, therollorose said:

Ah, I thought for some reason the Livi game was last… so there’s still time for a very Rovers esque collapse 

You should still beat Alloa, and it has always been tight against Raith and Livi, luckily for us home advantage has got us through in those games, wouldn't surprise me if it's a draw and pens though.

A little commentary from the Cowdenbeath thread after Luke got a few minutes:

“The young lad mahady is as raw as they come and reminds me of lewis coult in his stature and running style and general play from what I saw. His willingness to work his socks off pressing hard and working between centre halfs was great to see from a young kid he clearly has a good attitude. Looks fairly quick as well which is good. I wouldnt be adverse to another striker coming in but perhaps greedy and dont think we would go down that route and potentially a centre mid or centre half on loan is our next signing.”

“Mahady is raw but very fast, something we’ve been missing.“

How many tickets were available?
As I know for the friendlies (particularly Stranraer), we only made 600 available and not the 1000 Level 1 permits.

Me personally I couldn’t make it, but was at Cowden on Saturday and I’ll be at the Alloa game.

For those at the game, how was the new flood lights? McGlynn clearly buzzing off them in the post match looking at the Sky “thank you” haha. (That McGlynn interview in general is absolutely fantastic - 3 new signings en route also)

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not sure what the hard limit on tickets were, as someone else said we only made available less than the hard limit for Fife's restrictions. 

Also, there was still streaming available so we would have made some up on that, add to the fact its a Tuesday night, league Cup game before the proper season starts and against opposition that was hardly going to get the blood pumping. No offence intended.

Yeah, I'd bought tickets for the game last night, and then due to circumstances ended up staying home and streaming it. Without the streaming option I probably would've dragged myself to the game, but it just became much more convenient on the day to catch it on the laptop (albeit it meant I paid for the game twice.)

The other way to look at it is if this was pre COVID would we have had less than 600 last night? Probably not (purely on the assumption it was capped at 1000). From checking the online ticket booking system yesterday the south stand was sold out so suspecting that was about 500 and 94 between the north and railway stand to take it to 594 seems about right. There were actually a few Rovers fans in the railway stand as well and I suppose nothing stopping you buying a ticket for there even if you weren't a Brechin fan. 

Fair enjoyed the change of scenery last night being in the north stand I must admit.