The New Raith Rovers Thread

I see we've drawn Alloa in the SPFL Trust Trophy. 

I think I speak for us all when I say, f**k sake. 

f**k sake indeed. It's Forfar or Formartine. The club got it wrong. :lol:

Screenshot_20210706_143958_com.twitter.android.jpg

Edited by Michael W

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Should be just kept us out of it when it was redrawn. Nobody likes it and its been irrelevant since adding colts.

I don’t know, quite a few seemed to like it very much that night at Firhill.

That Firhill game was more down to the general feeling around the club.  I wasn't that bothered going into the game, but a combination of Friday night beers and the young team going for it meant the atmosphere was great.  

I know I’m probably very much in the minority here, but I genuinely don’t mind the Challenge Cup. 

Even just last time around, we had the home game with Glenavon, which featured one of the daftest goals I’ve seen in a while and the Glenavon players going radge, a really good game against Elgin who we only just managed to squeak through against, and then the Partick game which was brilliant from start to finish. 

Those games alone arguably had as many if not more highlights than our last 10 League Cup campaigns combined. 

4 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

B is for b*****d.

We didn’t get our Final day out, but here’s another rebranded version of the Challenge Cup. At least it’s still a knockout tournament.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I know I’m probably very much in the minority here, but I genuinely don’t mind the Challenge Cup.

Even just last time around, we had the home game with Glenavon, which featured one of the daftest goals I’ve seen in a while and the Glenavon players going radge, a really good game against Elgin who we only just managed to squeak through against, and then the Partick game which was brilliant from start to finish.

Those games alone arguably had as many if not more highlights than our last 10 League Cup campaigns combined. 

I really like the Challenge Cup with the "foreign teams in it, but this season's whithout them it's a non event. I resent the colt  and "B" teams too, which IMO severely devalue it.

22 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I really like the Challenge Cup with the "foreign teams in it, but this season's whithout them it's a non event. I resent the colt  and "B" teams too, which IMO severely devalue it.

I don’t like them being in it either, but other than Rangers B last season and Motherwell’s B team one season maybe, they’re all huckled out in the first round or two. 

None of the B teams have ever beaten a Scottish full time side in the competition, so we generally don’t have to put up with them for long. 

31 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I don’t like them being in it either, but other than Rangers B last season and Motherwell’s B team one season maybe, they’re all huckled out in the first round or two. 

None of the B teams have ever beaten a Scottish full time side in the competition, so we generally don’t have to put up with them for long. 

Tho I must say I was glad when Rangers' kids beat Sollihull Moor and Wrexham last year. On the other hand colt teams playing foreigners away deprive other teams of a great away day.

Edited by Raith_Raver

5 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Tho I must say I was glad when Rangers' kids beat Sollihull Moor and Wrexham last year. On the other hand colt teams playing foreigners away deprive other teams of a great away day.

Aye, as much as I always wanted the Irish, English and Welsh sides to lose every time they played, I also hoped we’d draw one of them away from home, it would have been a brilliant trip. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

4 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Aye, as much as I always wanted the Irish, English and Welsh sides to lose every time they played, I also hoped we’d draw one of them away from home, it would have been a brilliant trip. 

Must admit. The only decent thing about this competition was when we got drawn to play Boreham wood away. The game was a brutal 0-0 (win on pens) but a trip to London for the day/night getting smashed then watching England get gubbed by Spain later that night was brilliant. 

B teams can do one 

The Challenge Cup is definitely secondary to the league and the ‘big’ cups but it has provided some great moments.  Without it, we wouldn’t have had Easter Road and Baird slotting home the winner. Partick away last season was an incredible night too as others have said. Still disappointed we didn’t just play the final at the start of this season, especially given that we could have got a crowd back for it. Could have been another great moment (if we’d won)

Glad they have binned the non-Scottish teams although would have loved to drawn one away. Wish they’d bin the Colt teams too as they’re just a nuisance and keep this Colts in the lower league pish going.