The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Braw, 2x tickets bought. Someone fancy booking out Wee Jimmies for all Rovers fans? 😅

10 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I actually agree with the kids pricing and voiced that the adult price wasn't that dear either despite being joint 2nd highest. What I was unhappy with was the removal of an earlybird renewal discount for those that had bought a ticket last season and in doing so ended up having paid more than most. EG those that paid £200 for the season ticket as opposed to those that only paid about £156 for the 13 individual streams.

However, apparently season ticket sales only account for a small percentage of the annual income and we had about 1000 season ticket holders so. It was said that season sales (£200k) is only a small percentage  (5%, 10% or 15%) of the total income, Lets say its in the middle and it's 10% of the whole income.

1000 x £200 (Average of adult and concession) = £200,000, there for  a 10% discount would be a £20,000 drop in income.

If that % figure of the total income is equal to 10% and that amount is £200k then a 10% discount on that  would = £20,000

£20k sounds a lot but in reality but it's 10%  of £200,000 and in the end only 1% of the total income.

eg

Total income £2M (I doubt it!!)

Season ticket sales = 10% (£200,000),  10%  discount on 10% = 1% of the whole (£20,000)

£2M, 1% = £20,000

If that's wrong my apologies, I ran out of space on this fag packet 😉

EDITED TO ADD I'M NOT SAYING THAT SEASON SALES DO ACCOUNT FOR 10%  OF THE CLUBS INCOME, THAT IS MERELY AN EXAMPLE OF A SMALL AMOUNT.

My gripe is the disabled season being age related.The increase for some is £100+ which for me is way too much so wont be purchasing

Simple mathematics  money in equals money out to sign better quality players. People have a choice in whether to buy season tickets or not (at a price the club assesses as required to be competitive).

dont moan about pricing then also moan about signings - the club can only invest the resources it has!

Edited by Elnamaw1

31 minutes ago, Elnamaw1 said:

Simple mathematics  money in equals money out to sign better quality players. People have a choice in whether to buy season tickets or not (at a price the club assesses as required to be competitive).

dont moan about pricing then also moan about signings - the club can only invest the resources it has!

Simple mathematics don't always work in football, if we doubled the season ticket and gate price would we make double the income?  Likewise if we halved it we wouldn't get double the number of fans through the gate? In both cases when it's been tried at other clubs it didn't work out that way. 

The amount of discount I was talking about would probably have related to less than 1% of the club's gross income. Going by last years accounts £20k isn't such a massively critical part of the annual wage outlay of around £500,000. Therefore I seriously doubt it'd be the difference in bringing in a great deal of serious quality.

What the club desperately needs is to build up and expand it's s season ticket numbers, and on that score I think sales are probably down on previous seasons. I suspect if sales were good they would be letting us know all about it as they have in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if the drop in renewals ends up costing them more than a token discount would have, and to those figures at least simple arithmetic would be sufficient. 

Football is an expensive business and as I said elsewhere relatively speaking I think £300 is OK for a season. However Rovers have offered an early bird renewal discount for many previous years, scrapping it this season for those who bought in last season will prove to be an error of judgement. 

Not Rovers related but was surprised to see Hamilton offering no PATG option at all and if you want in you either have to buy a season ticket or buy a 10 game package deal for £150.

11 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Not Rovers related but was surprised to see Hamilton offering no PATG option at all and if you want in you either have to buy a season ticket or buy a 10 game package deal for £150.

That's one way to drive the fringe fans away

Simple mathematics don't always work in football, if we doubled the season ticket and gate price would we make double the income?  Likewise if we halved it we wouldn't get double the number of fans through the gate? In both cases when it's been tried at other clubs it didn't work out that way. 
The amount of discount I was talking about would probably have related to less than 1% of the club's gross income. Going by last years accounts £20k isn't such a massively critical part of the annual wage outlay of around £500,000. Therefore I seriously doubt it'd be the difference in bringing in a great deal of serious quality.
What the club desperately needs is to build up and expand it's s season ticket numbers, and on that score I think sales are probably down on previous seasons. I suspect if sales were good they would be letting us know all about it as they have in previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if the drop in renewals ends up costing them more than a token discount would have, and to those figures at least simple arithmetic would be sufficient. 
Football is an expensive business and as I said elsewhere relatively speaking I think £300 is OK for a season. However Rovers have offered an early bird renewal discount for many previous years, scrapping it this season for those who bought in last season will prove to be an error of judgement. 
Anyone not renewing isn't not doing so because there isn't a early bird discount. At £300, I'm struggling to see what kind of meaningful discount they could give anyway? £20/£30 at the most so what's the point... we're not league 1 anymore.

If the majority of our season ticket holders renewed at a discount, that's the difference between signing a player or not.

Not sure what you want from the club but your sense of entitlement is definitely on show. Well done to everyone who bought season tickets, donated cash, bought streams, strips last season. The thanks we all got is that the club survived unprecedented challenges and we saw the best Rovers team in years. God knows, the board expressed their gratitude on many occasions.

But the pricing reflects reality... something a number of people on here moaning about this seem somewhat detached from.

Anyone not renewing isn't not doing so because there isn't a early bird discount. At £300, I'm struggling to see what kind of meaningful discount they could give anyway? £20/£30 at the most so what's the point... we're not league 1 anymore.

If the majority of our season ticket holders renewed at a discount, that's the difference between signing a player or not.

Not sure what you want from the club but your sense of entitlement is definitely on show. Well done to everyone who bought season tickets, donated cash, bought streams, strips last season. The thanks we all got is that the club survived unprecedented challenges and we saw the best Rovers team in years. God knows, the board expressed their gratitude on many occasions.

But the pricing reflects reality... something a number of people on here moaning about this seem somewhat detached from.
Well said Davy. Couldn't agree more.

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

Not been confirmed by the club , but it looks like there will be no PATG at Accies , but punters will have to buy a ticket before hand ....whether you can get one on the day of the game is anyone’s guess .....

1 hour ago, RavyDavy said:

I agree with a lot of this, to be honest. If you were willing to renew at £270 but unwilling to renew at £300 then I’m questioning your value of money. You’d spend more than £30 going to see a film with your partner. It’s not for anyone to say what you can and can’t spend your money on, but don’t moan that we aren’t signing top players when you won’t part with 10% more money. It’s moaning for moaning’s sake. 

11 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I agree with a lot of this, to be honest. If you were willing to renew at £270 but unwilling to renew at £300 then I’m questioning your value of money. You’d spend more than £30 going to see a film with your partner. It’s not for anyone to say what you can and can’t spend your money on, but don’t moan that we aren’t signing top players when you won’t part with 10% more money. It’s moaning for moaning’s sake. 

Maybe 300 is just people's cut off for what they deem value? 

I won't insult your intelligence by pointing out the difference between £18 and £20, however I know quite a few football fans who absolutely despised the thought of that 2 quid rise... For a couple of my mates when they stopped getting change from a twenty they reckoned it'd gone too far. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Maybe 300 is just people's cut off for what they deem value? 

I won't insult your intelligence by pointing out the difference between £18 and £20, however I know quite a few football fans who absolutely despised the thought of that 2 quid rise... For a couple of my mates when they stopped getting change from a twenty they reckoned it'd gone too far. 

It’s actually an inherent problem with inflation and time. There is always a level that “clicks” for people as “something is wrong with this”, and it is  ost often a round number level (your £20 versus £18 and getting change). I wonder how much experience has to do with that level, in that a person who grew up paying £2-5 a ticket might find a lower level “offensive” than one who paid £5-10. In the end it’s human nature to bitch about price rises, even when accompanied by quality rises (moving up a league, for instance), and it would be instructive to see a study of what categories the various complainers fall into. It will be amusing to watch this forum over the next couple of years as more and more clubs reach the £300 level.

I'm not sure any of this moaning about season tickets is really about general affordability. If £280 is your absolute limit for what you can pay then fair enough... but then I'd be questioning if you should be spending the money at all if that is an absolute limit.

What I think is happening here is that some people want their ego's massaged for being some kind of "super fans" for dipping into their pockets last year.

Like i said before, we'll done everyone who chipped in. That's gone now. If you want and can afford a season ticket, buy one. If not, don't. I get that £300 can be a lot of money to a lot of people but the club isn't a charity, it has to make money and therefore it's pricing structure reflects that. It's comparible with other teams so seems well placed to me.

Some are pointing out that the club is not a charity and has to charge what it needs to be competitive. Fair enough. Others are saying fans should be prepared to splash out more to help the club. It can't be both; if the club isn't a charity fans shouldn't be expected to be donating "charitably", and it becomes all about value for money.

Edited by Raith_Raver

Some are pointing out that the club is not a charity and has to charge what it needs to be competitive. Fair enough. Others are saying fans should be prepared to splash out more to help the club. It can't be both; if the club isn't a charity fans shouldn't be expected to be donating "charitably", and it becomes all about value for money.
Football at our level is never a value for money proposition. Possibly not at any level. Going to the Kino vs going to the Odeon for entertainment is about value for money. Watching your football team isn't. It's about things like local pride, tribalism, heritage, belonging etc. It's not sausages you're buying.