The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Brutal. So much for being an attractive proposition for potential signings this season. 

This is desperate stuff.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind so much if the club wasn't trying to work up some pish about us tilting for the title. Looking like fodder for 6th to 10th I think.

59 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

With the option to recall (detailed in Livi's statement, not the Rovers'). 

Yeah we've had a couple of Sevco players on loan for the season, and both went back in Jan before coming back to us for the rest of the season.

Pisser for you that if he does well at Raith and scores plenty of goals, you'll prob lose him in Jan, but better that than him being pish and staying the full season. 

It’s fair to say that everyone has made some fairly meh signings this summer. No one would have envisaged us finishing third with the squad we had last season. 

A fully fit Vaughan for the start of the season is liking having a new signing. Still one of the best players in the league on his day. We arguably still have the best goalie in the league and on paper our defence is upgraded both in quality and numbers. 

Hendry was always going to be impossible to replace. We have exciting young players. 

yes we are in need of numbers but when have we ever had a completed squad for the start? McGlynn loves a couple of additions in January. Get this negativity in the sea boys. 

Tbf, two years ago he was placing a bet on Anderson and Vitoria being enough "through the middle" but was ultimately saved by the emergence of Keiron Bowie, the signings of Baird and Gullan and then McLean.

Last year, we limped through with various guys getting several goals.

He gave two year contracts to Scott McBride and Fernandy Mendy. 

I am all for giving McGlynn the benefit of the doubt. He's a brilliant coach and a good manager. He's not infallible though.

I dunno, maybe these guys will propel the club forwards... yet, I am ambivalent.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Tbf, two years ago he was placing a bet on Anderson and Vitoria being enough "through the middle" but was ultimately saved by the emergence of Keiron Bowie, the signings of Baird and Gullan and then McLean.

I am all for giving McGlynn the benefit of the doubt. He's a brilliant coach and a good manager. He's not infallible though.

I dunno, maybe these guys will propel the club forwards... yet, I am ambivalent.

Thing is that’s the true nature of the beast. Can’t get every single signing correct, look at some of the shite Sir Alex signed for Man United. Pretty much 90% of signings at our level are gambles. I guess that’s why we love it. The unexpected. 

Any of the other teams in our league would bite your hand off for some of the players we have right now. 

27 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah. I wouldn't mind so much if the club wasn't trying to work up some pish about us tilting for the title. Looking like fodder for 6th to 10th I think.

This feels like more pessimism than your norm, renton. 

While we've not necessarily gone out and made any marquee signings, nobody else has either. Setting aside Kilmarnock, who look pretty decent, is there another club in the division who have done objectively good business? 

Hamilton are going to be a bit of an unknown quantity, Caley look alright, so do Thistle. The Pars have been slow at building their squad but the likes of Pybus won't have many quaking in their boots. I'm by no means saying we'll finish above all these sides, but based on last season and who's moved since, I'd say we've got a better squad than Ayr, Queens, Morton and Arbroath as things stand. 

There's still plenty time for things to change before the league begins, nevermind a full season to play through, but looking around I don't think things are half as bad as some seem to think. 

32 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

This feels like more pessimism than your norm, renton. 

While we've not necessarily gone out and made any marquee signings, nobody else has either. Setting aside Kilmarnock, who look pretty decent, is there another club in the division who have done objectively good business? 

Hamilton are going to be a bit of an unknown quantity, Caley look alright, so do Thistle. The Pars have been slow at building their squad but the likes of Pybus won't have many quaking in their boots. I'm by no means saying we'll finish above all these sides, but based on last season and who's moved since, I'd say we've got a better squad than Ayr, Queens, Morton and Arbroath as things stand. 

There's still plenty time for things to change before the league begins, nevermind a full season to play through, but looking around I don't think things are half as bad as some seem to think. 

You are probably right enough, there is a weirdly depressed market this year and most teams aren't making what I might think of as good signings. I suspect Killie might win the league on the back of having better than average, consistent players which is more than the rest of us.

There is no doubt we have shed talent, and part of me still thinks a fit Lewis Vaughan is one of the few natural double figure strikers in the league. And I like Keatings... there is an intelligence in his build up play that we have lacked.

On the other hand I have zero faith in Zanatta or Connolly. Though unlike most I have more faith in the former than the latter. I feel like Connolly is a guy who won't do a job without some kind of rage propelling him.

Beyond that we haven't or can't replace Hendry and the new striker is one of those identikit scored a few Cup goals, but kinda pish jobs that Duku would have been had he signed there instead of us. We'll get maybe 5 goals out of him.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. It's a strange market and I'm struggling to make sense of it. I think Killie look good and so do the two Thistles. The rest of us? Could be anywhere from 4th to trouble.

Edited by renton

42 minutes ago, renton said:

You are usually one of the more readable posters on this forum and I hate to disagree with you again but I feel your pre season pessimism is reaching ridiculous levels.

I don’t take disagree with your general point that McGlynn isn’t perfect in the transfer market (although I’d say he is definitely above average at this level) and we shouldn’t just blindly think everything will be okay but he’s working to a plan he clearly has and I think after the last couple of seasons he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I completely disagree with the examples you have given. I don’t see how you can say he was ‘placing a bet on Anderson and Victoria being enough through the middle’ but was ‘saved’ by the emergence of Bowie and the later signings. That’s nonsense. He said all pre season from what he saw in training of Bowie it was going to be a breakthrough year and it made his search for a striker less urgent, it wasn’t a fall back option, that was his clear plan. 

Because of Bowie he felt he didn’t need to dive in and sign any striker that was available. As he says often he could fill the squad tomorrow with signings but it’s about getting the right players. Because he had faith in Bowie and had been speaking to Baird about the possibility of coming back he was patient and bided his time to get the right quality in with Baird and Gullan. He kept his budget back for them, it wasn’t like he got to January and suddenly had to ship out Anderson/Victoria for these replacements after a failed experiment as your post suggests.

Also, last year we didn’t ‘limp’ through with various guys getting several goals. The style of play was fluid with attackers interchanging and different players getting into the box finishing third top scorers in the league. Likewise the season before we spread the goals around the team and were second top scorers in the league. All this from a clear plan McGlynn repeated several times in pre season after Nisbet left, that he wouldn’t be replaced and we’d need to change our style to spread the goals around the team, we did that and have continued to do so, it wasn’t some sort of flukey coincidence that all of a sudden 2 seasons in a row we got lucky that goals were spread around the team whilst remaining amongst the highest scorers in the league.

The signings haven’t been great so far and I can understand disappointment after some of the noises coming from the club. But being honest the last 2 pre seasons I haven’t been salivating at our signings (Hendry and Jamie MacDonald aside!) and that’s worked out okay. The next 3 signings look to be crucial though, one big signing can change the whole perception. I’m still pinning my hopes on this ‘exciting’ signing (let’s hope it’s not another Rory McKeown in his debut season!).

I think the pandemic has played a bigger part than people were expecting. Yes, there was the government money but any club spending that thinking we are out of the woods is naive in the extreme. There doesn’t seem to be (m)any teams throwing money at this level . Nobody’s signings look anything special and I do think we are in better shape than many at this stage.

I dunno I just think the constant negativity before a real ball has been even kicked with the squad still to be completed after 2 excellent seasons is a bit much. Yes, we can all be underwhelmed by some of the signings but talk of 10th place as things stand when you see some other squads is absolutely wild, I’m glad for your health you’re not a Morton fan!

Tl;dr Cheer up mate, it could be worse!

Based on what's happened since the new chief exec came in, I think she might not be in touch with reality at this level of football. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks Poplotnik is the exciting signing just because he comes from a premier league club. 

Based on what's happened since the new chief exec came in, I think she might not be in touch with reality at this level of football. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks Poplotnik is the exciting signing just because he comes from a premier league club. 

Wonder if you’d have said this if the chief exec was a man.

I'm not even sure it's the pandemic depressing the market, there just seems to be a real dearth of exciting talent, for some reason. 

That reads like a "things were better in the old days!" but I don't think that's what it is. There's not a Gretna hoovering up all the talent by offering huge wages, and I'm not aware of a huge exodus of talent down south or abroad. Footballers have got to go somewhere, and generally they'll settle at the level where the supply meets the demand, for the wages on offer at that level. If there are hundreds of great players around you'll see decent ones in the Championship, if there are hardly any you won't. 

I think it's particularly evident when you look at strikers in this division. Other than Partick Thistle, who've come up with Brian Graham and Zak Rudden as two known quantities you'd expect to get goals, there really aren't many strikers who you'd look at and say "Yup, good solid Championship forward". 

Morton have taken Ugwu from us, after a fair-to-middling season. We've basically done a swap with Caley Thistle, trading two average strikers, each club hoping they'll be able to sustain better form. Ayr have just gone the Duku route and signed a boy from down south. Dunfermline have Wighton and O'Hara who've both looked good and terrible at different times in this division, and Todorov who's had a good end to last year but not shown too much prior to that. Killie have Innes Cameron who looked alright for Alloa, and Scott Robinson who should do well. The less said about Queens the better. 

It's a really difficult market. I don't envy any of the managers trying to build squads at the moment. You'll see the same complaints from this thread echoed in a lot of the others, but the obvious picks just don't seem to be there at the moment. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine