The New Raith Rovers Thread

Seen too may pre-season friendlies over the decades to worry just yet. Seasons  where we have been either awesome or utterly pish only to go on to have a season that was the complete reverse of what was expected.

Two bounce games so far and a bit like Scotland we didn't finish off our chances with Mitchell in the Clyde goal being especially inspired in the second.  I'm not bothered about our numbers at present but like some am a bit perturbed at the loss in quality in midfield. RH is virtually impossible to replace and Ross Matthews on-going issue is a real cause for concern, but I'm sure John & Paul will be as aware of this as we are. Less worrying (for me) is the loss off Dan Armstrong as I think Connolly will actually do fine if he can stay fit, there will likely be a loanee competing for a wing role too.  Though more of a gamble Zanatta will likely be fine too as he will be acutely aware that he will struggle for another club should he not make it with us. 

Up front I think we will see a striker come in along similar lines to last season (Duku and Ugwu only better!) and wouldn't be surprised if he was a loanee from a more well known club.

While I was at Starks Park the CEO told me there was an exciting young guy signing but wouldn't even say what position he played in as she was sworn to secrecy (at  the time even the fans rep didn't know), although she did say he would be a signing not a loan player.

A blind man can see that the 2021-22 season ticket set up has been poorly handled and I'm sure the club are by now very aware of this, perhaps some concessions can be made if the board can agree and decide on how best to pour oil on what is clearly troubled waters. I really don't think they expected the flack that came their way. However on the plus side I think there's a chance there will be much more thought and hopefully dialogue with  supporters so that next season if at least not getting it all right they make a better fist of it.

Edited by Scottydog

15 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Seen too may pre-season friendlies over the decades to worry just yet. Seasons  where we have been either awesome or utterly pish only to go on to have a season that was the complete reverse of what was expected.

Two bounce games so far and a bit like Scotland we didn't finish off our chances with Mitchell in the Clyde goal being especially inspired in the second.  I'm not bothered about our numbers at present but like some am a bit perturbed at the loss in quality in midfield. RH is virtually impossible to replace and Ross Matthews on-going issue is a real cause for concern, but I'm sure John & Paul will be as aware of this as we are. Less worrying (for me) is the loss off Dan Armstrong as I think Connolly will actually do fine if he can stay fit, there will likely be a loanee competing for a wing role too.  Though more of a gamble Zanatta will likely be fine too as he will be acutely aware that he will struggle for another club should he not make it with us. 

Up front I think we will see a striker come in along similar lines to last season (Duku and Ugwu only better!) and wouldn't be surprised if he was a loanee from a more well known club.

While I was at Starks Park the CEO told me there was an exciting young guy signing but wouldn't even say what position he played in as she was sworn to secrecy (at  the time even the fans rep didn't know), although she did say he would be a signing not a loan player.

A blind man can see that the 2021-22 season ticket set up has been poorly handled and I'm sure the club are by now very aware of this, perhaps some concessions can be made if the board can agree and decide on how best to pour oil on what is clearly troubled waters. I really don't think they expected the flack that came their way. However on the plus side I think there's a chance there will be much more thought and hopefully dialogue with  supporters so that next season if at least not getting it all right they make a better fist of it.

Didn't that just turn out to be the young guy Mitchell?

2 hours ago, renton said:

Didn't that just turn out to be the young guy Mitchell?

Bloody hope not!

If that's something she feels we should be ecstatic about then we are doomed! Doomed I tell ye!

5 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Have been watching Rovers for over 30 years and pre-season games have never meant anything. There is pretty much no correlation between how you do in them and the season you’re going to have.  At least wait until the first few competitive games before the usual  ‘we’re doomed’ patter gets rolled out. 

Spot on, if I remember properly in 92/3 we scored 1 goal preseason, 1st league game banged in 7

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Think it’s a dude from Celtic, wide player

25 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Any names 

Given the turmoil with Postecoglou just in, a shakeup in their departments and such, I’d take any Celtic loanee rumour with a huge grain of salt. I suspect Ange will want to see a lot of the players himself before he starts shooting them out all over the place. That might be a nasty surprise building if that’s the plan…plus a wide player is much less necessary than a mid and/or a bigger forward.

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

No issue at all with results as they don't matter. It's all about personnel and we are short of a few players at the minute. 

Midfield is the one causing me the most consternation. Hendry hasn't been replaced and I am concerned with Matthews' injury at the moment as it looks like he might be spending some time out as well, with some concerning messaging about us not really knowing how to treat him. Neither of these players are ones you want to be replacing with some 19 year old from a Premiership reserve side. 

Regan was from one of these premiership teams remember and was only around 20-21. You don't know the quality of the individuals and what our manager can get out of them!

Edited by mealsonwheels

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Given the turmoil with Postecoglou just in, a shakeup in their departments and such, I’d take any Celtic loanee rumour with a huge grain of salt. I suspect Ange will want to see a lot of the players himself before he starts shooting them out all over the place. That might be a nasty surprise building if that’s the plan…plus a wide player is much less necessary than a mid and/or a bigger forward.

Was set up prior to the new manager coming in, guy can play left back or left wing apparently.

14 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Was set up prior to the new manager coming in, guy can play left back or left wing apparently.

Any ideas??

Didn't we go in for Dembele a couple seasons back?

Edited by mealsonwheels

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Might be Brody Paterson? He’s a left sided player who was on loan to QP last season from Celtic. Did a very good job for us 

Might not be him obviously, but he seems to fit that profile 

19 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Might be Brody Paterson? He’s a left sided player who was on loan to QP last season from Celtic. Did a very good job for us 

Might not be him obviously, but he seems to fit that profile 

You could be right mate, I think we have been linked with him before and he is a fife lad so geographically it makes sense but we have 2 left backs so not sure he is what we need

You could be right mate, I think we have been linked with him before and he is a fife lad so geographically it makes sense but we have 2 left backs so not sure he is what we need
Who's our second lb? Dick is the only natural lb we have.

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:
22 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Did Musonda not play there for a few games last season?

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:
28 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Frankie