The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yes it’s surprising re lack of a big striker especially after McGlynn saying that he specifically targeted big men up front for last season and had to go to England to get them yet this season so far the opposite. There is time though🤞

Yeah I’m not sure there needs to be any panic. We have almost 5 weeks until our first league game, I’m pretty confident McGlynn will have a suitable striker in that time (along with a midfielder and winger).

Keatings and Vaughan are more proven options than we had at this stage last season. Injury records are obviously a concern but we don’t need to rush, we have two relatively proven strikers at this level which is better than many others, we can take the time to get the right player in.

When we won League One we finished the first game of the season with a 16 year old Kieron Bowie and Jack Smith as our two strikers. Hell we even had Boris Melingui playing as a trialist 4 games in! McGlynn has done what he always does, signs up the bulk of the squad early doors and then looks to add 2/3 quality players later in the window, generally players that weren’t available or wouldn’t commit early in the window.

See Dan Armstrong, Steven Anderson, Jamie Gullan, John Baird in 2019/2020 season.

Edited by R.R.FC

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah I’m not sure there needs to be any panic. We have almost 5 weeks until our first league game, I’m pretty confident McGlynn will have a suitable striker in that time (along with a midfielder and winger).

With Duku and Ugwu both securing full time contracts at this level after a year with us, if JMcG goes fishing again in The English Fifth or Sixth Tier, there will be some bites. We’ve shown an ability and willingness to display a player, that’s got to go down well with anyone who thinks they need a shop window to appear in.

11 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
11 hours ago, Roath Raver said:

I like the way the ko is 730pm, so we can watch the warm up Engerlund v Germany game first.

I'd have preferred a 7.45 kick off. That way at 7.25 we won't have to choose between watching Rovers warm up and watching Grealish miss for England in the penalty shoot out. 

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just means he’s likely been agreed with them a little while and no news slipped.

I mean, they've got to release their kit at some point. It saves them time and effort to do it on a day when a player is putting pen to paper. It certainly doesn't feel like it would require a whole load of planning to get a photographer in to cover both. 

12 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

And, of course, there are always strikers that McGlynn and Smudger already know very well indeed 👀👀

Gullan on deadline day then.

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Is there any particular reason the club aren't offering same system as Saturday in terms of allowing fans into the game tonight?

Possibly resource.  There were heaps of volunteers on the go, might be harder to find them at short notice for midweek game.

35 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Possibly resource.  There were heaps of volunteers on the go, might be harder to find them at short notice for midweek game.

Granted I wasn't at the game on Saturday but why the need for 'heaps of volunteers'? Not being arsey, just curious what was needed done on the day.

45 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Granted I wasn't at the game on Saturday but why the need for 'heaps of volunteers'? Not being arsey, just curious what was needed done on the day.

Showing people which gate to go to, scanning tickets, explaining the seating arrangements and helping people find available seats.  This was done over both the North Stand and Railway Stand.