The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Ugwu. Discuss?

Better all-round game than Duku, although didn't look quite as clinical and didn't go through a purple patch like Duku did. 

Scored five goals for us. One was a penalty, one was a great hit in a breakaway against Dunfermline in the playoffs, and the other three had a combined distance from goal that wouldn't take him out of the six yard box. That said, I don't know how many strikers in this division would've scored his backheeled goal at Tynecastle. 

He's not going to score 20 goals a season, but he's also not going to go missing very often. I think that's a decent enough pick-up for Morton. He's Championship quality. 

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Based on our striking options last season, chopping in with some important goals seems like witchcraft.

Happy enough with this signing.

Of last years forwards he was probably the best at playing with his back to goal and doing the hold up play aspect of it. Not the most mobile of strikers but a few decent goals in there. The back heel against Hearts and the half volley thunderbolt against the Pars in the play offs.

Wasn't hugely bothered that he left but wouldn't have been upset had he been offered a deal. 

Given the lack of useful looking striker targets I'm not convinced we shouldn't have offered him something.

2 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Big, strong, slow.  Can appear neat and tidy technically, but also kind of not.  A funny one.  
Scored a backheel at Tynecastle and a big hit in the playoffs v Dunfermline - fondly remembered obviously - but not a lot of threat about him.
Signature move is to have it played up to him, get it under control/hold it up in the channel, then lay it off to the wide player before absolutely not getting into the box where he would be your obvious big target.  Drove me mad.  He would seem to just stand off and admire what he'd done instead of show any kind of centre forward instinct.  

He is replacing Kalvin Fucking Orsi though.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Given the lack of useful looking striker targets I'm not convinced we shouldn't have offered him something.

At the end of the season when Ugwu and Duku were released, I said at that point that it was worth a gamble on finding better out-and-out strikers. I'd have them both categorised as mid-to-low level Championship strikers and you'd hope we'd be able to find at least one better. 

Now, I'd sort of hoped we'd have those replacements down by now, but time will tell. With a couple of weeks to the competitive stuff, it looks like it might've been prudent to keep Ugwu and just focus on finding one new number 9.

Still have complete faith in McGlynn though. 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

At the end of the season when Ugwu and Duku were released, I said at that point that it was worth a gamble on finding better out-and-out strikers. I'd have them both categorised as mid-to-low level Championship strikers and you'd hope we'd be able to find at least one better. 

Now, I'd sort of hoped we'd have those replacements down by now, but time will tell. With a couple of weeks to the competitive stuff, it looks like it might've been prudent to keep Ugwu and just focus on finding one new number 9.

Still have complete faith in McGlynn though. 

I am slightly concerned that we are already rooting about with trialists, and none of them were even strikers.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

I am slightly concerned that we are already rooting about with trialists, and none of them were even strikers.

To go back to the earlier conversation around trialists, I wouldn't be too concerned. If McGlynn identifies a top striking target but feels like he needs to see him in a game against Stranraer or Clyde before committing, I'd be a little concerned. 

Even with Duku last year, McGlynn had been tracking him for a year and a half, I believe.

I don't have any sort of inside track on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if we announced a striker tomorrow (or the day after, or next week), with no prior fanfare. 

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

To go back to the earlier conversation around trialists, I wouldn't be too concerned. If McGlynn identifies a top striking target but feels like he needs to see him in a game against Stranraer or Clyde before committing, I'd be a little concerned. 

Even with Duku last year, McGlynn had been tracking him for a year and a half, I believe.

I don't have any sort of inside track on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if we announced a striker tomorrow (or the day after, or next week), with no prior fanfare. 

If it came to us I think bare minimum is 3 bodies in. A CM, a wide player and a striker. Imagine one would be a loan (typically always seems to be wide players you find from the Premier youth sides).

25 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Renton two you missed as trialists then were signed Dougie Hill and Grant Murray. They did ok.

That's a good point, I had forgotten they played as trialists first.

59 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I'm just mischief making based on something (totally out of context) that I overheard on Saturday, and this tweet:

Imagine he's just up visiting family, alas.