The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think people need to remember that trialists don't normally have alot of time to get to know the players they are playing with and in the instance of the lb, he's 16/17 playing next to experienced pros for probably the first time. The experience will do him wonders. He did alot of the basics right and with regular game time with Fife elite he could be another one we pick up moving forward.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

I think people need to remember that trialists don't normally have alot of time to get to know the players they are playing with and in the instance of the lb, he's 16/17 playing next to experienced pros for probably the first time. The experience will do him wonders. He did alot of the basics right and with regular game time with Fife elite he could be another one we pick up moving forward.

Exactly, we’re pretty stocked for developmental mid/wingers and forwards, plus a keeper, but no young developmental backs. Always good to be looking out, and in this case it was looking to see how he reacted to facing (relative) big boys in a senior level match. Yes he was getting run all over, but throughout the game he was still pelting forward and chipping it over and in. In other words, he knew he was getting tossed around, but he still stayed calm, did his best and played to the game strategy. That kind of experience is valuable to him, and probably appreciated by the Gaffer.

23 hours ago, renton said:

Second time I've  been in the North Stand. Had the pleasure of losing 3-0 to Motherwell back in 96. Rogiuer skying high at 1-0 from a cut back in front of an open goal.

Was that the first game in which the North Stand was open and the South Stand was still under construction? I have a vague recollection of being at a game where we were on the receiving end of a humping by Motherwell and being there with my ex and her folks, after I had bigged up the Rovers and rejoiced in our newly (semi) renovated stadium, and talked them into coming along for some Scottish top flight football.

Not saying that's where the relationship broke down, but it can't have helped!

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

Was that the first game in which the North Stand was open and the South Stand was still under construction? I have a vague recollection of being at a game where we were on the receiving end of a humping by Motherwell and being there with my ex and her folks, after I had bigged up the Rovers and rejoiced in our newly (semi) renovated stadium, and talked them into coming along for some Scottish top flight football.

Not saying that's where the relationship broke down, but it can't have helped!

Yeah, that's the one. Had both sides of the OF to start the season then going into that game and getting killed and the board just panicked I guess and gave the Janny the bullet.

And thus began the end of Rovers as a top flight club. 

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Did we play Aberdeen while our fans were in the North stand? Have a vague memory of playing a team in red, or we were wearing read, while sat in there.

I believe that was the one and only game in charge for Tommy McLean - we took an early lead through Paul Bonar, before being humped 4-1.

Again, I was there with the ex - an Aberdeen supporter!

That premier season was my last as a season ticket holder before I moved down south.

An absolute kick in the balls from start to finish. Both cheeks of the OF away in the opening games, dicked in the 2 home games, Dennis and Duffield squaring up in the tunnel at half time, out the league Cup away to Airdrie. 

Jimmy the janny sacked, Tommy the rat in for 1 game before fucking off to the Arabs. Then Iain Munro who I'm sure is a nice guy but it was quite obviously a shite appointment and reeked of desperation. 

Then to top it off I sat through 9 in a row Rangers humping us 6-0 with Gazza running wild. 

I believe that was the one and only game in charge for Tommy McLean - we took an early lead through Paul Bonar, before being humped 4-1.
Again, I was there with the ex - an Aberdeen supporter!
I think you're right with that.
I get the logistics of keeping home fans at the same end, but iv always liked the view from the North stand. Mcdermaid stand, as it is now.

That premier season was my last as a season ticket holder before I moved down south.
An absolute kick in the balls from start to finish. Both cheeks of the OF away in the opening games, dicked in the 2 home games, Dennis and Duffield squaring up in the tunnel at half time, out the league Cup away to Airdrie. 
Jimmy the janny sacked, Tommy the rat in for 1 game before fucking off to the Arabs. Then Iain Munro who I'm sure is a nice guy but it was quite obviously a shite appointment and reeked of desperation. 
Then to top it off I sat through 9 in a row Rangers humping us 6-0 with Gazza running wild. 

I remember looking at that fixture list and thinking we were going to be done 5 games into the season. Did they win the league that night? I think i was gone by the 4th or 5th going in. That 6-0 was a during the week game and followed losing 5 to Motherwell on the Saturday.

On the subject of trialists, when is the last time we signed one or more and they turned out to be decent?

Locke signed three: Coustrain, Osei and Thornsen. Two of those barely played any senior minutes and the third wasn't really up to much either, in so far as he fit in well to a shite Rovers side without ever being a starter.

Murray signed Stuart Anderson from being a trialist in 2012. He played a lot of minutes that season and was a regular starter - though that could well have been down to us running a small squad and Murray not having many options in that department. Was released at the end of the season.

Before that? Stephen Manson signed for us under Dalziel (presumably out of desperation) and didn't last too long under McGlynn back in 06/07.

Am I missing any? I mean, I think we have had trialists in most close seasons, but very few ever seem to get close to signing and then usually aren't any good anyway. It seems like a very low percentage gig tbh.

Edited by renton

10 minutes ago, renton said:

On the subject of trialists, when is the last time we signed one or more and they turned out to be decent?

Locke signed three: Coustrain, Osei and Thornsen. Two of those barely played any senior minutes and the third wasn't really up to much either, in so far as he fit in well to a shite Rovers side without ever being a starter.

Murray signed Stuart Anderson from being a trialist in 2012. He played a lot of minutes that season and was a regular starter - though that could well have been down to us running a small squad and Murray not having many options in that department. Was released at the end of the season.

Before that? Stephen Manson signed for us under Dalziel (presumably out of desperation) and didn't last too long under McGlynn back in 06/07.

Am I missing any? I mean, I think we have had trialists in most close seasons, but very few ever seem to get close to signing and then usually aren't any good anyway. It seems like a very low percentage gig tbh.

Pretty sure Kevin Nisbet played a game as a trialist before he signed so he would be the obvious one. Agreed though, it is rare for a trialist to actually turn out anything special, there is a reason they are having to go on a trial at a side like ours looking for a contract rather than being signed automatically. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Ugwu. Discuss?

Got injured last pre-season and took an age to get up to speed afterwards.

With a couple of months of the season to go I don't think anyone would have wanted us to offer him a new contract but he chipped in with some important goals in the run in and while I wasn't really bothered at him leaving, I wouldn't have complained if we had offered him a new deal.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Got injured last pre-season and took an age to get up to speed afterwards.

With a couple of months of the season to go I don't think anyone would have wanted us to offer him a new contract but he chipped in with some important goals in the run in and while I wasn't really bothered at him leaving, I wouldn't have complained if we had offered him a new deal.

Based on our striking options last season, chopping in with some important goals seems like witchcraft.

Happy enough with this signing.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Ugwu. Discuss?

Big, strong, slow.  Can appear neat and tidy technically, but also kind of not.  A funny one.  
Scored a backheel at Tynecastle and a big hit in the playoffs v Dunfermline - fondly remembered obviously - but not a lot of threat about him.
Signature move is to have it played up to him, get it under control/hold it up in the channel, then lay it off to the wide player before absolutely not getting into the box where he would be your obvious big target.  Drove me mad.  He would seem to just stand off and admire what he'd done instead of show any kind of centre forward instinct.