The New Raith Rovers Thread

Supporters Can Return to STARKS’ PARK

The best news of all is that you will be able to return to Stark’s Park for the pre-season friendlies on 26 June against Stranraer and 3 July against Laurie Ellis’s Queen’s Park side.
RRFC Update and Thank You! | Raith Rovers FC

I have absolutely no idea why I’ve read this article about 3 or 4 times today, but I’m absolutely buzzing from it. And I’ll most likely read it again tonight at 10pm once Scotland’s been pumped ha!

5 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Does anyone know how many season tickets were sold last year as with new season ticket sales not starting until Monday 28th (according to the website) it looks like this one will only be available to renewed holders.  If the level 1 limit is 1000 is anyone likely to miss out?

I am buzzing to get back COYR

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

Does anyone know how many season tickets were sold last year as with new season ticket sales not starting until Monday 28th (according to the website) it looks like this one will only be available to renewed holders.  If the level 1 limit is 1000 is anyone likely to miss out?

I am buzzing to get back COYR

It’s only the North stand that will be open and it can hold less than 1000 with covid restrictions so it will likely go to a ballot 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Watched John McGlynns interview earlier today. One thing that he said was we had 2 trialists up does this mean players from England.

Watched the interview and took some notes…

-JMcG opened by talking about expecting to use 3 or 4 formations this year. Spending a good amount of time with the (lots of) new players going over squad expectations and tactics. Expect the same attacking/passing style game.

-McKay out till after Clyde, Musonda out until late-July or early-August and Lang out for another week or so (very early-July).

-On new players…

—Berra, experienced coach on the field, strong on set pieces, decisive and aggressive, left sided and will take the LCB next to Dick at LB. training four across (Tumilty/Bene/Berra/Dick)

—Lang, good experience against players like Sammon and Dowds where he looked good, strong, has been tracked by us for a while and has a “winning mentality”.

—Dick, was on the list the team created after deciding to go full-time after it became clear that KMac was gone. He was the third choice or so, and has surprised JMcG with just how good he is. Sounds like he’s expected to develop beyond this level.

—Connolly, small/short/fast/pest, a near replacement for Armstrong, good crosser.

—Zanatta, didn’t get much time last year and is behind on his condition and form, but working to catch up, experienced working with Dick (insert own joke here), very quick.

-Raith will be selective on loans, need best value for £. Expect “another couple”.

-“Couple of guys up on trial right now”.

-“One or two more signings”.

-in the preseason, the young guys will get plenty of chances.  Specifically name checked Coulson, Arnott and Mahady, but not Bow.

-Standards are important in avoiding a 2nd season slump.

-Scouting opponents is very important at this level, and switching to a full-time side helps JMcG have the opportunity to get to some of the weekday evening games that used to occur during practices when we had part-time players.

-Came back to suggest 2 or 3 formations this year. Emphasis on a month of training before the season to drill tactics and learn via repitition. Players need to automatically know their 3 or 4 options in any circumstance when playing our style.

-Losing Hendry is a minus, no matter how you spin it, but Matthews, Spencer and a Tait all learned from him and are stepping up.

-With the extra CB’s, we can easily change between say 3 and 5 back during a game. It affords us tactical chances we didn’t have the last couple of years.

- We’ve had nearly three years now of evolving the flowing play culture, and are still always looking to learn and develop. We look to develop our flowing , attacking style more.

-JMcG is now learning from how opponents respond to us and plan against us versus from others teaching/mentoring him.

-The Davo testimonial game versus Hibs will be just another pre-season from the player rotation point of view. Davo has something on the horizon in football.

-Pre-season is a time to float players around, expect to see everyone and don’t draw any conclusions from the line-ups.

Hendry does indeed sign for Forest Green. 

You shouldn't really be so invested in ex-players but I am really disappointed by that. They've won themselves a watch there, but having bigged him up I feel like a fraud that he's joined a team in League 2. 

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Hendry does indeed sign for Forest Green. 

You shouldn't really be so invested in ex-players but I am really disappointed by that. They've won themselves a watch there, but having bigged him up I feel like a fraud that he's joined a team in League 2. 

Best of luck to him but I think he should certainly have aimed higher especially if the rumours of Ipswich and Hibs being interested were true.  We’ll see how he gets on in League 2 and if it’s a stepping stone or not. I think after Bowie being picked up by Fulham we expected Hendry to move a bit higher than FGR.  

11 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Best of luck to him but I think he should certainly have aimed higher especially if the rumours of Ipswich and Hibs being interested were true.  We’ll see how he gets on in League 2 and if it’s a stepping stone or not. I think after Bowie being picked up by Fulham we expected Hendry to move a bit higher than FGR.  

I would assume that FGR see Regan as a starter, he may have been a bench warmer at the other clubs.

I would assume that FGR see Regan as a starter, he may have been a bench warmer at the other clubs.
This. He'll be playing every week, as opposed to occasionally at Hibs or any other bigger club. I think it's a good move for him. He's clearly no mug, so I credit him with knowing what he's doing and why.

Hendry clearly doesn't think like your regular Scottish career footballer, he also said himself he doesn't support anybody in particular so he's thinking long term instead of shooting for the SPL immediately and failing (**cough cough** Armstrong). 1 good season at FGR and his stock will sky rocket, as somebody else said, the potential roof is much higher in England he's gotten himself a bigger shop window to put himself in. I actually think it's a smart move. If he went to L1 or Championship, he'd have a harder time trying to prove himself...I worry for Bowie in that regard, although a completely different situation all together. I'm glad he didn't end up at another jobber scottish club so we don't have to see him improve another team we're competing with. 

All the best to the Kirkcaldy Modric - what a pler. 

Edited by MC_Lachlan

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

Anyone know the score with crowds this season, obviously it’s social distancing and maximum number is 1000? What’s the deal with away fans or will it home fans only at the moment.  

1k at level 1, 2k at level 0 - I think.

He’s moving South, as a presumed starter, on a promotion favorite team in English League 2. Great exposure to English teams and scouts. A decent first few months and he’ll be on a number of radars, and if FGR make promotion, he’s playing at League 1 next year, at a minimum. Seems a very well chosen route to success by Hendry.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Hopefully get some word of a new signing soon? 

Also, starting to regret picking 1.45 for entry time on Saturday, suspect I'll be dumped in the bottom corner now

I've gone for the same timeslot. Only bought my season ticket a couple of hours ago so must have just made the cut off.

Didn't really fancy sitting around for an hour before kick off just to get a better seat.