The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Any talk about fans getting in for friendlies?

I’ve heard that there will be limited numbers as expected but the number allowed is less than the current season ticket holder number. Fits in with only the north stand only being ready. It will go to a lottery draw for tickets I presume. 

Floodlights are being changed over to new ones, this has been ongoing for a few weeks now and continues this week. 

asbestos also being removed this week but it’s only planned for a day or two I believe. 

Edited by Offshore Rover

53 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The English Championship is too big a leap for him. I would've thought he could've have gotten a league 1 team though. 

Presumably his experience of "dropping below his level" to join Raith in League One, and the improvements he must've felt due to that, have encouraged him to accept a League Two club. Guess the idea is a season excelling at that level would be better long term for him than playing at a higher level where he might stand out less.

Presumably his experience of "dropping below his level" to join Raith in League One, and the improvements he must've felt due to that, have encouraged him to accept a League Two club. Guess the idea is a season excelling at that level would be better long term for him than playing at a higher level where he might stand out less.
That's my thinking with it. He did sign for us permanently off the back of a serious injury though, so slightly different.

I find talk of two levels down amusing, as we know he isn’t signing for an English League Two team for less money than Raith offered him. It speaks to the money differences between English and Scottish football, which explains much of the variance in standards. Some might try to suggest he may have taken the same salary we offered, but wants the English exposure, but I doubt it very much.

£1,535,300 is Forest Green’s 2021 salary cost for 23 31 players, with a breakdown by player here:

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/forest-green-rovers/

Edited by TxRover

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I find talk of two levels down amusing, as we know he isn’t signing for an English League Two team for less money than Raith offered him. It speaks to the money differences between English and Scottish football, which explains much of the variance in standards. Some might try to suggest he may have taken the same salary we offered, but wants the English exposure, but I doubt it very much.

£1,535,300 is Forest Green’s 2021 salary cost for 23 players, with a breakdown by player here:

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/forest-green-rovers/

That site just quotes wage figures from Football Manager. 

There's no doubt he'll be much better off financially though. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That site just quotes wage figures from Football Manager. 

There's no doubt he'll be much better off financially though. 

Useful to know. Does anyone have any real knowledge of what figure Hendry was on with us?

On 29/01/2021 at 10:52, RR #1 said:

Can't believe what I'm reading here. Brentford too good for Hendry? People have way too high an opinion of the English Championship. 

How it started... 

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

How it went! 

That's genuinely not the worst move in the world, it'll seem like a sideways steps but the upper potential of it is far higher... Due to covid allot more championships teams are going to be looking to league 1 and 2 for players to come in, whereas before they'd be looking abroad. 

If Hendry does well next season a team that's into there analytics like Barnsley or Luton will be in for him. 

FGR evidently have there wyscout homed in on the Scottish championship, they signed the Morton winger after he put in impressive numbers. 

43 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Useful to know. Does anyone have any real knowledge of what figure Hendry was on with us?

If they did you'd like to think they wouldn't post it! 

You can make an educated guess I suppose. 

27 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You can make an educated guess I suppose. 

That is, of course, the inherent difficulty with this whole routine. It would be nice to have a range of figures for what certain players earn, and I would bet the Players Association likes it that we don’t have any real idea.

Lets play a game, cause I have no idea what wage would be considered enough for a player to live on in Scotland these days. What would the low end be for a full time player in Scottish League One or the Scottish Championship? Do we actually have known total wage bills for any team in those two leagues?

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Lets play a game

Stop.

You're never going to find out, you can drop as many FOI requests as you like and it wont happen.

No club is going to disclose it's wage structure, the only people that will be anywhere near this information will be the payers agents.

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Stop.

You're never going to find out, you can drop as many FOI requests as you like and it wont happen.

No club is going to disclose it's wage structure, the only people that will be anywhere near this information will be the payers agents.

Zen, the game was simply what do you need to live on in Scotland today? Outside Glasgow and Edinburgh, what level of income allows you to take a job and live in a reasonable, but not luxurious, manner? It’s a fair guess that the amount needed would be close to the base level for a full time player with a small club. I simply have no frame of reference for cost of living in Kirkcaldy, or Falkirk, or Dunfermline, or wherever. My concept of costs is badly twisted by the perverse economics of the US (no Universal Health Care, crazy State Assistance rules, redlined and segregated areas, very lim8ted mass transit in most areas, etc) and differing base costs (taxes, housing, food, etc)

Let me ask this, could a single male, mid-20’s, live a reasonable life making £13,000 per annum? What about £26,000? (That’s £500 or £1,000 £250 to £500 per week). For comparison, it is generally quoted that in many areas of the US  between $50,000 and $75,000 is needed., but I find find that number rather inflated.

Edited by TxRover

That is, of course, the inherent difficulty with this whole routine. It would be nice to have a range of figures for what certain players earn, and I would bet the Players Association likes it that we don’t have any real idea.
Lets play a game, cause I have no idea what wage would be considered enough for a player to live on in Scotland these days. What would the low end be for a full time player in Scottish League One or the Scottish Championship? Do we actually have known total wage bills for any team in those two leagues?
Salaries are, rightly, confidential matters. Why would / should any of us have any knowledge of an individual's private affairs, unless part of a public authority and thereby funded at least in part by the public?

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

£13,000 per annum? What about £26,000? (That’s £500 or £1,000 per week)

Some questionable maths here. FWIW my neighbour is involved with Halifax Town and we got chatting about wages. Teams at the top of the National League are throwing money about that I would be very surprised RR can compete with (well over £1000pw). Towards the top of League 2 this will be considerably higher, particularly if they have ambitions of going up so I'd imagine Regan will be doing fairly well out of it.

I had a meeting at the Starks Park this morning and both subjects came up in conversation.
As usual there Rovers board members were tightlipped so there are no distinct details but:
The CEO said there's a new signing coming quite soon that they are extremely excited about, I asked the usual questions but she wouldn't even tell me what position he plays.
I'm sure she also said the all the new strips had been delivered to the ground and the launch would be soon. Although I didn't ask but I think maybe in light of Covid issues maybe Raith Tv are working on it as we speak.

I asked if the new signing was connected to the strip launch like a Marquee signing but they said no not really,  either way I think we will be enlightened on both  counts before the weekend.

Nice one, cheers!

As for general chat, regarding Regan’s move, I personally think it’s very sensible. Good for him. Forrest Green will be looking for promotion this season (missed out in playoffs that season), from what I’ve read up on, they seem fairly ambitious. And if he goes down there and tears it up, he’ll get a move to a top end League 1 team/Championship team. Also more importantly, I bet he’ll be on decent coin down there. Fair play to the lad. Rather than playing sporadically with Hibs or Aberdeen.

4 hours ago, YorkshireRover said:

Some questionable maths here. FWIW my neighbour is involved with Halifax Town and we got chatting about wages. Teams at the top of the National League are throwing money about that I would be very surprised RR can compete with (well over £1000pw). Towards the top of League 2 this will be considerably higher, particularly if they have ambitions of going up so I'd imagine Regan will be doing fairly well out of it.

Yea, I was sucked into the divide by 26 for paid every two weeks versus 52 for per week, my mistake.

4 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Salaries are, rightly, confidential matters. Why would / should any of us have any knowledge of an individual's private affairs, unless part of a public authority and thereby funded at least in part by the public?

I’m somewhat surprised at the vitriolic response to this question, but then I remembered the differing standards and viewpoints involved. Discussing salary is much more common here than there, so I guess I’ll just remain in the dark….but I don’t understand the reticence to even toss out a reasonable figure to live on. Onward to signings then!

Edited by TxRover

Supporters Can Return to STARKS’ PARK

The best news of all is that you will be able to return to Stark’s Park for the pre-season friendlies on 26 June against Stranraer and 3 July against Laurie Ellis’s Queen’s Park side.

RRFC Update and Thank You! | Raith Rovers FC