The New Raith Rovers Thread

44 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Despite the loss of Hendry, and to a lesser extent Armstrong and loanees Gullan and Kennedy I think we'll still have a strong exciting team. The defence will be much stronger and the forwards should have goals in them - Keatings will be better than Ugwu and Duku and no doubt McGlynn will being in back ups.  Of course the midfield will be much less fluent but I think McGlynn will get the best out of  Connolly, as well as Zanatta. Roll on the season.

Oh, nice rumour. Are we getting a Euro midfielder, or just a Yank?

In all seriousness, I certainly agree that we’re in a very strong position for a team losing a key player. Regan was part of our silky passing game, and always gave it all from box-to-box, but he isn’t irreplaceable. We have a reasonably youthful team with a leavening of maturity and experience, so I’ll be interested to see JMcG’s choice to fill Hendry’s team sheet spot. It may be a combination of players, or it might be just one, but I wouldn’t bet against an experienced CM, the problem there is finding one sitting around, but if anyone has the connections to find one…

The quality hendry had won't be replaced. We may get someone in who can do a similar job but it probably won't be to the same level. That being said, we never replaced nisbets goals and we've improved season on season since, as is the norm under mcglynn.

51 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:
With our budget I'd say it's impossible to get a player of Hendry's quality

You don't need to replace an individual to improve the team though, that's what I was getting at.

Indeed. We’ll get a new player, possibly in that spot on the pitch, and how he meshes with the other players will determine a lot more than if he has the same skills Hendry had. Hendry, in addition to his vision and feel, had several years with the team, and was familiar with the other players to a great extent. That may be our greatest loss, but Matthews, Spencer and Tait mitigate that to an extent, and may well be our starting middle three. If that’s the case, if Berra can fit in quickly at the back, I wouldn’t consider us weaker for the change after a few games, just playing a somewhat different game. On the whole, the change from KMac to Dick might actually be more difficult than from Hendry.

Indeed. We’ll get a new player, possibly in that spot on the pitch, and how he meshes with the other players will determine a lot more than if he has the same skills Hendry had. Hendry, in addition to his vision and feel, had several years with the team, and was familiar with the other players to a great extent. That may be our greatest loss, but Matthews, Spencer and Tait mitigate that to an extent, and may well be our starting middle three. If that’s the case, if Berra can fit in quickly at the back, I wouldn’t consider us weaker for the change after a few games, just playing a somewhat different game. On the whole, the change from KMac to Dick might actually be more difficult than from Hendry.
Would agree with that. Macdonald offered alot but I do think dick will be a good replacement there from the little I did see of him. We've got a couple of signings to go (hopefully) so I'm expecting some more quality to come in, in key areas

8 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Despite the loss of Hendry, and to a lesser extent Armstrong and loanees Gullan and Kennedy I think we'll still have a strong exciting team. The defence will be much stronger and the forwards should have goals in them - Keatings will be better than Ugwu and Duku and no doubt McGlynn will being in back ups.  Of course the midfield will be much less fluent but I think McGlynn will get the best out of  Connolly, as well as Zanatta. Roll on the season.

Keatings is injured a lot.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Would agree with that. Macdonald offered alot but I do think dick will be a good replacement there from the little I did see of him. We've got a couple of signings to go (hopefully) so I'm expecting some more quality to come in, in key areas

Certainly agree that Dick will do fine, just suspect it will take a little while for him to settle in…although that would have been somewhat true anyway with the new forwards

With regard to more incoming…

22 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Entirely on brand tbh. 

Anyway, where's our new CM and the other striker and winger we need? 

With the timing of last years arrivals, and the new season starting promptly, I see either…

The Gaffer has his eye on a couple of loans (and has confidence in securing them)

Players of the skill level he desires aren’t (currently) available and he’s scouring the English lower league and trialist lists for possibilities.

Either way, it could be a few weeks.

16 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

Irregardless of whether or not Hendry is irreplaceable I don't think we'll finish unbelow the play offs.

That's a bold shout when no one knows how any team is actually going to line up come the start of the season! 

Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Partick, Dunfermline and Raith all have fan bases that expect they'll be in the playoffs, and I'm sure Ayrs would aswell however they look quite frankly, pish.

Someone's got to miss out, Killie will be favourites for the title, Partick will have that promotion bounce, Hamilton have spent years in the prem and with the benefit of parachute payments, I've got absolutely no idea how we'll be lining up come the start of the season, Inverness have done some really, really good business IMO however have an untested manager, Raith haven't done great business but have a tried and tested manager... 

Anyone's guess who comes where at the moment, and that's on the presumption that the likes of QoTS or Arbroath don't elevate themselves with some decent business.