The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So Frankie is out for the preseason, and McKay tweaked a hammie, nothing more, Lang seems the only one who is a real threat to miss the season opener…and I had him as our number five CB. I’ll feel fine with any combo of two or all three of McKay/Berra/Bene to start with in the preseason. Still awaiting the move(s) at CM.

I'm meaning the league Cup matches. Frankie has already said he'll miss these and if Lang and McKay are behind schedule they'll be struggling also. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

and McKay tweaked a hammie, nothing more,

McGlynn did say “Hopefully it just proves to be a bit of a niggle” which sounds promising.

But then you remember it’s the Rovers, so it never proves to just be a niggle.  Instead it ends up being some random, fluke injury that keeps the player out for months.

Finally got to listen to JMcG’s season review/summary. Took the following thoughts:

Keatings is 1.82m, Duku and Ugwu were both 1.88m, Jack Smith was 1.87m. He stated that they went to the English lower leagues to find tall forwards, to prop up a shorter team on set pieces, etc. So, letting Ugwu, Duku and Smith go suggests that he will be looking for at least another tall forward in addition to Keatings and that Smith had not impressed the team last year at all. There doesn’t seem an option already on the team for forwards, but Berra (1.9m) McKay (1.89m), Dick and Lang (1.86m), Musonda (1.83m),  Bene and Tumilty (1.8m) all have decent height in the back, and surely some can move forward when needed.

The other key element here is that the Gaffer seems very sure of his ability to get a couple of loans that might well fill that role nicely. He specifically references that Rangers were very happy with our use of Kennedy and team playing style, so I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see a player or two from there. (And, yes, he also name checked Adam King…be afraid, be very afraid).

After digesting the interview, I wouldn’t be surprised by just one or two mids being signed…but I expect our loans to be focused on big forwards and/or wingers overall, unless an amazing CM gets offered up.

35 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m on holiday for our first couple of league games. Bad planning by me. 

I wonder if we’ll be allowed in Starks by then?

Level 1 permits 1k fans at the moment, so you would think at the very least that Season Ticket holders will get in.

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’d be quite surprised if some League One squad doesn’t see some value in adding Davo to their mix. He’s no longer an every game starter, but he’s a known quantity and a useful coach/mentor for younger CB’s. Surely a team like Alloa or Cove could use a bit of stiffening and experience at the back. Probably got offered an opportunity to train with Kelty to keep fitness while exploring options…that would be a win/win for Kelty, as he might just end up with them.

a bit of stiffening and experience at the back? 😁

T0FLMTIwMzAzNDk4 (1).jpg

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Level 1 permits 1k fans at the moment, so you would think at the very least that Season Ticket holders will get in.

Good stuff. That’s my season tickets renewed. Hopefully we get back in.

2 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

a bit of stiffening and experience at the back? 😁

T0FLMTIwMzAzNDk4 (1).jpg

Something you have experience with, no doubt? Anything interesting in Methil these days, or is Falkirk still saying they’ll skelp the league?

I might be wrong and it’s also just maybe how I interpreted it on the Rovers website at the time. But the announcement about season tickets read that it would only be season ticket holders allowed in, depending on Covid restrictions. So if we get 1200 season ticket holders, and we’re in level 1 (as we currently are) - it’ll go to a ballot and 200 would miss out. (level 0, is 2000). Not any PATG. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I remember reading it.

Just now, WSDR 88 said:

I might be wrong and it’s also just maybe how I interpreted it on the Rovers website at the time. But the announcement about season tickets read that it would only be season ticket holders allowed in, depending on Covid restrictions. So if we get 1200 season ticket holders, and we’re in level 1 (as we currently are) - it’ll go to a ballot and 200 would miss out. (level 0, is 2000). Not any PATG. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I remember reading it.

Yeah that's what I meant, maybe worded wrongly.  I thought we had around 1k season ticket holders so in theory they should be fine.  

1k is the minimum,  you can apply to have more in but I'm not sure of the ins and outs.

Iirc we have had 900-1000 season ticket holders the past few seasons. Hopefully covid doesn't reduce that number moving forward, rather it increases with people knowing the best chance of getting to a live game is by getting one.