The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think McGlynn has a knack of getting players whose abilities he knows,  who have underperformed elsewhere  and thinks  he can get back to their true form. That's what I see in the Zanatta and Connolly signings.

I’m more concerned by Connolly’s injury record. Last time he was with us I really rated him and would have happily kept him. If we can keep him fit I think he could be a good signing.

28 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

5-6th is probably where we’d aim for most seasons in this division, a good season will see us in the playoffs and a bad season trying to avoid relegation. It’s about our natural level when you look at the clubs in the division.

I’d like to think we’d never aim for 5-6th. Play offs should always be the goal while we’re in this league.

Like probably 95% of Rovers fans I’ve full faith in McGlynn to get the signings right and if Connelly is who John thinks is the best option for us then fair enough. That said Connelly is, for me, a tad disappointing - perhaps because I was half expecting Ethan Ross to sign there. He’s certainly got something to prove, which is no bad thing, but he seems like a downgrade on Armstrong. He has a dodgy injury record and was a part of that rancid Falkirk side of last season.

Edited by Enigma

I’d like to think we’d never aim for 5-6th. Play offs should always be the goal while we’re in this league.

Like probably 95% of Rovers fans I’ve full faith in McGlynn to get the signings right and if Connelly is who John thinks is the best option for us then fair enough. That said Connelly is, for me, a tad disappointing - perhaps because I was half expecting Ethan Ross to sign there. He’s certainly got something to prove, which is no bad thing, but he seems like a downgrade on Armstrong. He has a dodgy injury record and was a part of that rancid Falkirk side of last season.

I’d be surprised if we budgeted to finish in the playoffs most seasons. I don’t know the answer but how many seasons have we been top 4 2nd tier since the turn of the century? I know our board have ambitions to kick on but I’d reckon we aim for mid table at this time.

10 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’m more concerned by Connolly’s injury record. Last time he was with us I really rated him and would have happily kept him. If we can keep him fit I think he could be a good signing.

Pretty much what the majority of our fans think, if you can keep him healthy he will do well for you, its a big IF though. Decent, tricky wee player and will chip in with a few goals. Wish him well.

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’d be surprised if we budgeted to finish in the playoffs most seasons. I don’t know the answer but how many seasons have we been top 4 2nd tier since the turn of the century? I know our board have ambitions to kick on but I’d reckon we aim for mid table at this time.

Sim said we budgeted for 7th last season and that the budget would be bigger this season. If that’s for 5 or 6th then fair enough. There is however a big difference between budgeting for a 4th place finish or higher and aiming to reach the play offs. If McGlynn isn’t aiming to finish in at least the play offs this season I’ll be amazed.

Edited by Enigma

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Ross is a LW, so he might still be in the wings…but that is our better staffed side too.

Sim said we budgeted for 7th last season and that the budget would be bigger this season. If that’s for 5 or 6th then fair enough. There is however a big difference between budgeting for a 4th place or higher and aiming for a 4th place or higher. If McGlynn isn’t aiming to finish in at least the play offs this season I’ll be amazed.
I said it earlier as well, I'm not sure if the bigger budget will just be due to moving completely ft rather than really making much more available for mcglynn to work with. I'd hope there is actually a decent increase to the playing budget that isn't just to account for that, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though.

48 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Think it was 7th, but the budget got slashed as far as I remember.

So it did, lost a few good players aswell. 

46 minutes ago, TxRover said:

But, unlike you lot, we have Dick to talk about!

I think the puns will get old eventually! 

Crawford would've had all the signings done by now. 

43 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

5-6th is probably where we’d aim for most seasons in this division, a good season will see us in the playoffs and a bad season trying to avoid relegation. It’s about our natural level when you look at the clubs in the division.

It's a hard one aiming for 5th and 6th though, as you've pointed out it's a bawhair away from the relegation playoffs! 

Just now, grumswall said:
3 minutes ago, Enigma said:
Sim said we budgeted for 7th last season and that the budget would be bigger this season. If that’s for 5 or 6th then fair enough. There is however a big difference between budgeting for a 4th place or higher and aiming for a 4th place or higher. If McGlynn isn’t aiming to finish in at least the play offs this season I’ll be amazed.

I said it earlier as well, I'm not sure if the bigger budget will just be due to moving completely ft rather than really making much more available for mcglynn to work with. I'd hope there is actually a decent increase to the playing budget that isn't just to account for that, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though.

Given we finished with only MacDonald and McGurn as part time I’d imagine the bigger budget would account for more than simply their full time replacements.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Re, signings;

Liam Dick, I'm happy enough with this as he's almost a like for like replacement for  Macca. I too think he'll probably be the last piece of the defensive jigsaw but you never know.

Aiden Connolly was a player I really liked when he was last ours, yes he's not had a great time of it since but like Zanatta we just have to hope the gaffer will get out of him that others were able to. Like Zanatta he will know he's at the crossroads of his career, if he take the wrong path now the next gig will be at a part-time outfit.

Season tickets go on sale, oh dear!  Other clubs have rewarded fans who not only stuck by them but helped them survive, but not us! John Sim scores the 1st own goal of the new season. While not an out and out awful decision it's an opportunity missed and the chance to keep the good feelng momentum going lost.

Happy with Liam Dick slightly underwhelmed with Aiden Connolly and only time will tell.   Regards Season Tickets. Think it's a Massive OG. Wouldn't lay the blame solely with JS as he is only one man. So the majority of our BOD must have thought it was acceptable and justified. Great for the under 16 fan base but one helluva kick in the teeth to the rest. Only my opinion and could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It's a hard one aiming for 5th and 6th though, as you've pointed out it's a bawhair away from the relegation playoffs! 

But slightly closer to fourth, as you well know.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Crawford would've had all the signings done by now.

Fair enough, so under your new owners, will it be Cowdenbeath or Kelty that get assimilated first?

Just now, Surely No said:

Happy with Liam Dick slightly underwhelmed with Aiden Connolly and only time will tell.   Regards Season Tickets. Think it's a Massive OG. Wouldn't lay the blame solely with JS as he is only one man. So the majority of our BOD must have thought it was acceptable and justified. Great for the under 16 fan base but one helluva kick in the teeth to the rest. Only my opinion and could be wrong.

Noted elsewhere that the increase on most tickets is about 35% for 33% more games. The U-65 Disabled is a rum one though.