The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not really sure what others expect really. If we can’t afford to keep our star players from last season, of course the players coming in are going to be a bit of a downgrade (albeit very much on paper) 

Very disappointed with the season ticket price, all the fundraising the fans did last year I thought some kind off gesture was merited, keep the prices the same or a small discount, but no hike the prices right up, very poor show from the club.    

Re, signings;

Liam Dick, I'm happy enough with this as he's almost a like for like replacement for  Macca. I too think he'll probably be the last piece of the defensive jigsaw but you never know.

Aiden Connolly was a player I really liked when he was last ours, yes he's not had a great time of it since but like Zanatta we just have to hope the gaffer will get out of him that others were able to. Like Zanatta he will know he's at the crossroads of his career, if he take the wrong path now the next gig will be at a part-time outfit.

Season tickets go on sale, oh dear!  Other clubs have rewarded fans who not only stuck by them but helped them survive, but not us! John Sim scores the 1st own goal of the new season. While not an out and out awful decision it's an opportunity missed and the chance to keep the good feelng momentum going lost.

Edited by Scottydog

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Understand the concerns of fans to a certain degree, but I’d like to think after the season we’ve just had that McGlynn gets a bit of leeway with his signings. Fully trust him to sign the players to get us playing the way he wants to play.

Absolutely agree, which is why I thought Dick would be an excellent signing. JMcG has that way of making the whole better than the sum of its parts, and getting each of those parts to preform at their absolute best too. Don’t know too much about Connolly, but he looks versatile and that’s certainly useful to us…if he plays. I’m just not sold on the two-year deal in this case, although it might be a case of the player making a bet upon themselves and accepting a lower wage for two years in the hopes of shaking his injury reputation.

Connolly will be excellent one week and you won’t see him for the next month.
McGlynn has never been about star players though. He gets together a team that can compete as a unit and organises them really well. It’s not like your squad last season was brimming with talent but it worked brilliantly.

I’d agree with you on that, can’t recall Connolly’s ratio with us last time but Dan Armstrong was similar with a mix of good and bad games as are many players at this level, if they were more consistent they’d be playing at a higher level. We’ll be operating on a smaller budget than some teams including yourselves and John McGlynn’s success has generally been in getting the best out of a team rather than relying on Star Player individuals.

f**k sake. We've had folk on twitter pestering the club for signings, then we announced 2 players and one is getting slaughtered before the season even fucking starts. 

16 minutes ago, basher brash said:

We can only sign who we can afford , Give the guy a chance I was disappointed when he left the first time around 

We should be signing Messi at the price of the season tickets🙄

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I’d agree with you on that, can’t recall Connolly’s ratio with us last time but Dan Armstrong was similar with a mix of good and bad games as are many players at this level, if they were more consistent they’d be playing at a higher level. We’ll be operating on a smaller budget than some teams including yourselves and John McGlynn’s success has generally been in getting the best out of a team rather than relying on Star Player individuals.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/aidan-connolly/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/252233/saison//verein/2795/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0

Looks like the RW that we’re missing with Armstrong gone.

8 minutes ago, philpy said:

f**k sake. We've had folk on twitter pestering the club for signings, then we announced 2 players and one is getting slaughtered before the season even fucking starts. 

If Dunfermline had signed Zannata and Connolly you'd have Raith fans slaughtering Dunfermline, on the face of it they're not very good signings. 

After you finished 2nd in 2011 with McGlynn did you not drop down to 6th the next season? 

People are entitled to their opinions are they not? 

No one has actually slaughtered anyone from what iv seen. It's a football forum so people will discuss things from different perspectives, otherwise what's the point in us being signed up to a football forum.

From the signings we know about, the squad looks decent. The defence looks to be improved although we will have to wait and see how dick adapts to ft football. Midfield is still missing 2/3 signings and maybe a striker or 2 to come. I'm fairly happy with our business so far.

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If Dunfermline had signed Zannata and Connolly you'd have Raith fans slaughtering Dunfermline, on the face of it they're not very good signings. 

After you finished 2nd in 2011 with McGlynn did you not drop down to 6th the next season? 

Think it was 7th, but the budget got slashed as far as I remember.

Just now, grumswall said:

No one has actually slaughtered anyone from what iv seen. It's a football forum so people will discuss things from different perspectives, otherwise what's the point in us being signed up to a football forum.

From the signings we know about, the squad looks decent. The defence looks to be improved although we will have to wait and see how dick adapts to ft football. Midfield is still missing 2/3 signings and maybe a striker or 2 to come. I'm fairly happy with our business so far.

Still getting used to hearing the new signings names. For a moment I thought Arbroath had maybe announced they were going FT. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

But, unlike you lot, we have Dick to talk about!

5-6th is probably where we’d aim for most seasons in this division, a good season will see us in the playoffs and a bad season trying to avoid relegation. It’s about our natural level when you look at the clubs in the division.