The New Raith Rovers Thread

That must be an all time low for Dutch football. 

I really can't get my head around him being international standard. The few times I've watched him for Hibs this season he's looked really quite poor. Such a lazy player. 

14 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Never would have thought after he hammered home that penalty up at Forfar for his last Rovers goal, that Kevin Nisbet would play and now score for Scotland. Some story. 

If you told me in May 2019 during Queen of the South 0-0 Raith Rovers that I was watching 2 of Scotland’s 3 centre forwards heading to Euro 2020 I would have seriously questioned your sanity.

8 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

If you told me in May 2019 during Queen of the South 0-0 Raith Rovers that I was watching 2 of Scotland’s 3 centre forwards heading to Euro 2020 I would have seriously questioned your sanity.

Championship (playoffs) is where its at.

20 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

To be fair to Dykes he was outstanding in the first leg, while Nisbet missed a couple of absolute sitters and looked a bit like he was out of his depth. 

On 11/07/2018 at 09:38, Broken Algorithms said:

Uninspired by both of those tbh. Both have hardly set the heather alight. I appreciate we're not in a position to attract the best players, but it feels like we've signed them for the sake of them meeting the positions. More than happy to be proven wrong.

On 11/07/2018 at 13:16, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm more than happy to give Flanagan and Nisbet a chance. We've had plenty of players come in, where we've been told they're not good, for them to prove everyone wrong (Brian Graham, Dougie Hill, Grant Murray) but I'm not expecting any miracles.

Well at least one of them proved me wrong... 

8 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Well at least one of them proved me wrong... 

If you had made it to Stranraer on the opening day of that season, you'd never believe how far Nisbet has come.

4 minutes ago, renton said:

If you had made it to Stranraer on the opening day of that season, you'd never believe how far Nisbet has come.

I didn't make it to that game but it still bemuses me how he went from the lost lad at Ayr and Dumbarton to turning into an utter goal scoring machine. I know there's a lot made of him realising his spell with us was very much last chance saloon and there's an element of confidence. Ever since that goal against Hearts in the Betfred Cup he's never stopped looking like a lethal finisher. He'll forever go down as the player we reference when a signing doesn't look good on paper. 

35 minutes ago, renton said:

There have been a few times I’ve made it down to Stranraer and can’t believe how far I’ve come.

I think for a lot of us we're just happy about the change of recruitment strategy. We appear to be focusing on established players for teams near the top of the league we're going into, which is a hell of a lot better than picking up any lower league English jobber that an agent happens to punt to us, which is what we've been doing since Clarke left. 
Filling the team with capable Championship players and hopefully having a couple of x factor players (fingers crossed for Lafferty) seems like the best possible strategy for me. 
Lafferty, not a chance

All the best to Armstrong and MacDonald, they have been good servants and very much part of a side that has played the best football seen at Starks in a long time. It will be interesting to see Macdonald develop as a full time player.

Neither are irreplaceable though and has been pointed out, Armstrong wasn't even a guaranteed starter for much of the season.

He will inevitably come back to bite us in the games against Killie but found Armstrong a frustrating player. It’s a bit disappointing that neither him or MacDonald were willing to commit to having another go given what John McGlynn is building, but I guess money and travelling convenience always holds the trump card these days. Hopefully Hendry goes up a level so we’re not playing against him. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Mcglynn hoping to have whole squad assembled by 11th June according to the press.

Going to be a busy week next week then.  Interesting about Davo.  Says in the press he offered to stay on in a coaching capacity but budget doesn't allow.