The New Raith Rovers Thread

Also consider the route Tait took, and the fact that he spent no time on loan. Granted, that was in League One, but Arnott and Coulson have been watching and learning for a year now, and JMcG has been watching them…who knows what we might have ready to surprise us a little next year too.
On the same thought, we do have Mahady at CF too…we just don’t know what they can do.
We started last season so well that it made it difficult for us to give them game time. If they're put in and we dropped points folk would ask why they're playing if they didn't step up. I'd imagine we'll see more of them in pre season. It does come back to the old adage of age being irrelevant if you're good enough.

4 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Callum Davidson was linked with Celtic over the weekend. I think its probably best you give up hope of him staying tbh. 

I mean, it's a bit different seeing as Hendry isn't contracted to Raith anymore so can move anywhere for free, and is actually talking to other clubs just now, rather than just a lazy journalist trying to troll Rangers fans.

29 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

He's really came onto a game this season. Didn't really happen for him at Hearts and St Johnstone, but he'll be staying in the Premiership. Probably end up at Dundee. 

Edited by Michael W

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He's really came onto a game this season. Didn't really happen for him at Hearts and St Johnstone, but he'll be staying in the Premiership. Probably end up at Dundee. 

Was at Dundee on loan before moving to Hamilton so it’s a possibility. 

3 hours ago, grumswall said:

I'm probably more interested in seing how dave mckay does with the step up after a year out.

Very true, and we must remember he’s still our youngest defenseman. If he comes back 100%, it will strengthen our core nicely, as he was looking promising before the injury.

3 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
4 hours ago, TxRover said:
Also consider the route Tait took, and the fact that he spent no time on loan. Granted, that was in League One, but Arnott and Coulson have been watching and learning for a year now, and JMcG has been watching them…who knows what we might have ready to surprise us a little next year too.
On the same thought, we do have Mahady at CF too…we just don’t know what they can do.

We started last season so well that it made it difficult for us to give them game time. If they're put in and we dropped points folk would ask why they're playing if they didn't step up. I'd imagine we'll see more of them in pre season. It does come back to the old adage of age being irrelevant if you're good enough.

It’s always a difficult balancing act, getting playing time to the young players. Generally player needs experience to play, but they have to play to get experience. I think the fact that they kept the three as Modern Apprentices suggests that JMcG either doesn’t see enough in them immediately to want to sign them and loan them out for experience or that he’s keeping them under wraps (a la Tait) for now. It will be fun to see where we go.

I either case, the lack of a youth team hurts a bit, but the gaffer must feel they had developed as far as they could under that structure, and that moving to seeing how it’s done in the real world was the next move for them.

The lower wage probably has a fair bit to do with keeping players on a modern apprenticeship rather than offering them ft deals. Bowie came in as an apprentice iirc but he was physically beyond his years and had obviously shown the natural ability. Young players will get their chance if they're good enough.

36 minutes ago, grumswall said:

The lower wage probably has a fair bit to do with keeping players on a modern apprenticeship rather than offering them ft deals. Bowie came in as an apprentice iirc but he was physically beyond his years and had obviously shown the natural ability. Young players will get their chance if they're good enough.

Tait signed with Bowie, and was, I believe, also on a Modern Apprentice contract before we signed him to a professional contract through 2022, and then extended that till 2024. On younger players getting chances, that’s certainly true at the League One/Two level, but is possibly somewhat less so at the Championship level for Raith. If we were building to finish seventh or eight, I would say they’ll certainly get a chance, but with us pushing for the playoffs again, it’ll be harder to get them playing time.

Tait signed with Bowie, and was, I believe, also on a Modern Apprentice contract before we signed him to a professional contract through 2022, and then extended that till 2024. On younger players getting chances, that’s certainly true at the League One/Two level, but is possibly somewhat less so at the Championship level for Raith. If we were building to finish seventh or eight, I would say they’ll certainly get a chance, but with us pushing for the playoffs again, it’ll be harder to get them playing time.
Iv no doubt the club will want us to be pushing for the playoffs but I don't think they will be budgeting for it. This summer is a rebuild based on having established ourselves in the league again. If we can emulate last season, then great. If we can't, then as long as we're safe from relegation, we have something to build on. We don't want to fall in to the same trap Ayr and arbroath did where they were struggling for safety after good seasons. That's our minimum aim imo.

Does anyone know what's happening with the FEFA...one of the Pars fans might be able to say but I'm sure I read that they intended to withdraw with the new German owners looking to go independent in terms of youth development. Out of all the clubs, we've definitely been the biggest winners from the set up. Both Bowie and Tait went on to become established regulars and Coulson and Arnott looked decent albeit in meaningless games. 

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Iv no doubt the club will want us to be pushing for the playoffs but I don't think they will be budgeting for it. This summer is a rebuild based on having established ourselves in the league again. If we can emulate last season, then great. If we can't, then as long as we're safe from relegation, we have something to build on. We don't want to fall in to the same trap Ayr and arbroath did where they were struggling for safety after good seasons. That's our minimum aim imo.

100% this. Smart move is budget for seventh or eighth, then we can toss a little more into the kitty at the Winter window if we’re highly placed and decide to push for it. I think this Board is determined not to blow it by assuming anything.

25 minutes ago, Raithy said:

Would be good to get Kelty or Cowdenbeath as a club where we can just send our youngsters for game time 😅

My first thought was what youngsters, as I had it in my head that the Modern Apprentices couldn’t be loaned… by now I remember that Bow was loaned for a wee bit, so I’m unsure the rules.

8 hours ago, Raithy said:

Would be good to get Kelty or Cowdenbeath as a club where we can just send our youngsters for game time 😅

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

My first thought was what youngsters, as I had it in my head that the Modern Apprentices couldn’t be loaned… by now I remember that Bow was loaned for a wee bit, so I’m unsure the rules.

I think he meant the likes of Coulson/Mahady/Arnott. 

That’s an interesting point.
Sim stated publicly that we budgeted for 7th last season.
Having finished 3rd last season I highly doubt we’ll be so pessimistic as to budget for 7th again but where do we aim?

I’d say budgeting for 4th or 5th and hope to over-achieve again is probably sensible, and would likely ensure that we achieve our main aim of survival in the ‘difficult second season’.

And if we finish 7th or 8th then while it’s disappointing it wouldn’t be a disaster and in theory we have the additional un-budgeted prize money from this season to cover the shortfall.

What is this finishing 7th or 8th would be fine nonsense. I agree budget for 5th, so we don’t lose our way by spending what we don’t have. But let’s have ambition to go and win the f#cking league! There’s not a single team in the Championship this season (21/22) where you can say they’ll win it. Every team will be aiming to win it (whether they can or not is entirely different).

More importantly though, Fife down to Level 1 within the Covid restrictions, which allows 1000 fans in to stadiums. Tuesday 13th July, home to Brechin - c’mon!! Hoping this will be first game since the Tuesday game against Falkirk way back! Romantic that both games are a Tuesday…

What is this finishing 7th or 8th would be fine nonsense. I agree budget for 5th, so we don’t lose our way by spending what we don’t have. But let’s have ambition to go and win the f#cking league!

Didn’t say it would be fine, said it wouldn’t be a disaster.
As long as we stay in this league it’s not a disaster.
But we absolutely should be aiming to win promotion, just with the caveat that if we don’t it’s not a massive failure given where we’ve been recently.