The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hendry was linked with Ipswich over the weekend. I think its probably best you give up any hope of him staying tbh.

22 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Maybe we’ve just got different definitions of pushing the boat out.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said above.

But I think that for Regan the board will have put together absolutely the best package they could manage, and possibly explored things like outside financing in a way that they would never have done with any other player.

That doesn’t mean I think they’d make him an offer that would put them in financial difficulty.

Fingers crossed whatever they’ve offered is enough....

With that explanation, I agree with your point/thoughts. There is certainly the consideration that a signed Hendry is potential cash in the bank, unless his form plummets, or the worst happens.

My understanding of “pushing the boat out” is as here: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/push-the-boat-out.html

I simply used the fish from shore phrase to contrast the risks/rewards in this situation. I suspect that with that definition, even you wouldn’t expect the Rovers to have pushed that boat, because we’ve too much knowledge of the pain caused by excess spending.

I’ll also be entirely honest in saying I think Hendry is likely gone, and crazily enough we might/may/could end up with a better team for it…or perhaps not. We may have leaned a bit too much on Regan and his talents, and we can now see if young Tait can step forward, what Matthews can show without being overshadowed, and how Spencer (or his replacement) may perform with more responsibility. We didn’t have a catastrophic collapse in form when we lost Hendry for the Dundee game…and we did for the subsequent Pars game…who knows.

Eother way, Hendry has been an excellent watch and a very loyal player, I wish him the best, regardless his choice.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hendry was linked with Ipswich over the weekend. I think its probably best you give up any hope of him staying tbh.

Callum Davidson was linked with Celtic over the weekend. I think its probably best you give up hope of him staying tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Euan Murray sights for Killie. Both liked by Macdonald and Armstrong on Twitter. 

If that is going to be the calibre of their signings then they certainly won't be running away with the league next season.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

The disaster scenario is hanging on for Hendry, missing out (which is likely), and losing out on potential replacements.

Ever re-read the first few pages of the thread from the summer of 2009? Loads of folks were worrying about exactly that while we were waiting on a decision from Marvin Andrews. But McGlynn wasn't daft enough to put all his eggs in one basket and it turned out he was lining up both Murray and Hill.

5 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Ever re-read the first few pages of the thread from the summer of 2009? Loads of folks were worrying about exactly that while we were waiting on a decision from Marvin Andrews. But McGlynn wasn't daft enough to put all his eggs in one basket and it turned out he was lining up both Murray and Hill.

Yeah, maybe I didn't word it properly. I've no doubt Mcglynn has targets lined up, I'm just a bit conscious of waiting too long and missing out on them also. 

I’m really surprised at us holding out for Spencer, I must say. Where does he think he is going to get a better offer? I don’t see him playing any higher up the pyramid than where he is currently. The only thing I can think of is that we have offered him lesser terms or a reduced role, and he isn’t happy with that. A sideways step is what he’ll get, at best.

7 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

To be fair if Killie are signing Euan Murray they might take Brad Spencer.  Going down the 'knows the league' route maybe.

There is something to be said for this building a team of proven players at this level who have been there or there abouts with promotion. 

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m really surprised at us holding out for Spencer, I must say. Where does he think he is going to get a better offer? I don’t see him playing any higher up the pyramid than where he is currently. The only thing I can think of is that we have offered him lesser terms or a reduced role, and he isn’t happy with that. A sideways step is what he’ll get, at best.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Unless he’s looking to move down south/abroad then he’s not going to get a bigger club up here.

On finding a replacement for Hendry, surely we would just be looking to promote Tait to a first pick? He’s been in and out of the side since breaking through. Yes he’s a different kind of player but he’s one who will need to come of age now if he’s to realise his potential. A midfield three of Matthews, Spencer and Tait would still be very strong at our level. We would only be looking to replace Hendry’s place in the squad rather than trying to replace him I’d say.

31 minutes ago, pub car king said:

There is something to be said for this building a team of proven players at this level who have been there or there abouts with promotion. 

True, though that said if Killie are to build a team upon Murray alongside MacDonald, Armstrong and Spencer that hardly says to be me they’ll be the guaranteed title winners Hearts were last year.

The mercenary in me would've loved to have made a few bob from him in transfer fees , but its been a pleasure to have had Regan at Starks for as long as we have, if he goes and its a big if atm (I'm sure management will have an incline) there will be a replacement player or two on their radar

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He's been part of a successful team at this level. The unfortunate consequence of having a good season and not going up is that other clubs will pick your players off if they can, and it's not a bad strategy for Killie or Hamilton to look at. They'll be able to offer him more money as well, which never hurts. 

I didn't think he'd get much of a look in this season, but he took his chance when it was presented to him. I would  take Matthews over him every day of the week and that's a no contest, but Matthews is under contract and therefore there's a natural deterrent. 

I guess the other side of the equation is that Hendry is almost certainly going as well and we have a side that doesn't need whole sale changes. As it is, we've lost enough of it already and ideally we'd minimise changes to the side. 

The club has been quick enough in the past to move if players were stalling. I seem to recall Paul Watson stalling and us deciding that we'd sign someone else instead, subsequently withdrawing the offer. I'm fairly confident we'll have contingencies in place. 

Edited by Michael W

Also consider the route Tait took, and the fact that he spent no time on loan. Granted, that was in League One, but Arnott and Coulson have been watching and learning for a year now, and JMcG has been watching them…who knows what we might have ready to surprise us a little next year too.

On the same thought, we do have Mahady at CF too…we just don’t know what they can do.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Also consider the route Tait took, and the fact that he spent no time on loan. Granted, that was in League One, but Arnott and Coulson have been watching and learning for a year now, and JMcG has been watching them…who knows what we might have ready to surprise us a little next year too.

On the same thought, we do have Mahady at CF too…we just don’t know what they can do.

I was impressed with Coulson in the game he did play in at the start of last season, quick feet on him

• Saturday 10th July:        Cowdenbeath v Raith Rovers, 3pm
  • Tuesday 13th July:         Raith Rovers v Brechin City, 7.45pm
  • Wednesday 21st July:    Livingston v Raith Rovers, 7.45pm
  • Saturday 24th July:        Raith Rovers v Alloa Athletic, 3pm