The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Can’t agree with you on that, Falkirk may be in the shite currently but on paper they should be able to offer better terms than most Championship teams

Of course they would. Their fan base is huge too. They just keep hiring absolute shite to manage them

The problem they have is the same one we faced in our time in league 1, they will be building up debt. We got mcglynn in and gave him the time to build his squad which has paid off, but we were bleeding money while in league 1. They haven't cut their cloth like we did by the looks of things either.

Very happy with this signing, as I thought of Liam as soon as they was any question about McDonald and Alloa was clearly down. Liam has the potential to be a very useful signing, hopeful he slots in nicely at LB…he is a minor gamble, in that his previous FT term wasn’t excellent, but he looked quite tidy at Alloa and should enjoy our playing style. I suspect that closes the door on defender signings.

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Very happy with this signing, as I thought of Liam as soon as they was any question about McDonald and Alloa was clearly down. Liam has the potential to be a very useful signing, hopeful he slots in nicely at LB…he is a minor gamble, in that his previous FT term wasn’t excellent, but he looked quite tidy at Alloa and should enjoy our playing style. I suspect that closes the door on defender signings.

To be fair, when he was full-time previously he was just a youngster who didn't quite make the breakthrough. He then went to Stranraer and did really well before a short spell at Dumbarton which I think was pretty mixed. His first season with us in the Championship I thought he was OK, solid defensively at least. Over the two seasons since then though he has really come on, strong in his defensive duties but also getting up the flank in attack. Capable of playing centrally too if required. Was very comfortable at Championship level and well worth another crack at full-time. Stevie Hetherington too, he should really have got a Championship club rather than Falkirk as is rumoured. 

Just two words on signing players from Alloa Ryan McCord.           He was very good as a part-time player but for some reason when full-time with us didn't look the same player. He then went to Arbroath and again looked to be a good player. Let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice if he has really signed for us. If he has welcome Liam.

Edited by steakngravy

50 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Just two words on signing players from Alloa Ryan McCord.           He was very good as a part-time player but for some reason when full-time with us didn't look the same player. He then went to Arbroath and again looked to be a good player. Let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice if he has really signed for us. If he has welcome Liam.

Remember Ryan McCord showed in glimpse his qualities but was just too fat and slow.

So we shouldn't sign players from Alloa because of one transfer for a player who didn't have an impact? I'm really struggling to see your point here. We've had duds from pretty much every club in Scotland at some point.

In all due respect to the player we are signing a left back so short of kieron Tierney rocking up amd declaring his love for the roverswe are not going to spunk the budget on this signing. Perhaps mcglynn is saving his pennies for a striker or more likely a midfielder.