The New Raith Rovers Thread

33 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Great news on Musonda, absolutely fantastic. Spencer and Hendry still in talks. 

The only one I think I may slightly disagree with is Ugwu. He may not be a world beater, but I do think he has something to offer. 

Agree with this. Ugwo showed enough over the last dozen games to earn a new deal I thought. We'll certainly need to sign a forward of that 'type' for next season so it'll be interesting to see who we get in. 

Musonda is massive. As well as being an excellent centre half he is competent full back cover as well. A left back and that's the defence sorted. 

A bit of work needing done in the forward areas and potentially midfield as well. A busy few weeks ahead and hopefully some exciting signings to come. 

Regarding Armstrong, slightly gutted to see him leave but not too dissapointed, there will be players similar to his ability available to us, yes on his day he was almost unplayable at this level but those days were few and far between, often he was just an average decent player, we all know he worked hard but far too often the set plays were shocking, Just hope he has that shocker when he plays against us as I can't see him in the top flight at the moment.

I feel like we're a bit damned if we do, damned if we don't with Gozie. He didn't get a full preseason and was very much a hit and a miss. He was excellent away at Hearts and hit a few goals in towards the end. But he never really set the heather alight. Pretty much agree with all the business done so far. Disappointing we've lost MacDonald and Armstrong but I'll be happy enough if we get Aaron Taylor-Sinclair in as a replacement.  Replacing Armstrong will be a lot more difficult. The next few weeks should be interesting to see how we move forward. I feel like there'll be a lot of fans worried and feeling quite pessimistic but the McGlynn Rovers v2.0 have had a history of providing some positive news when it's needed (Hendry, the returns of fan favourites like Anderson and McGurn at the start of the 19/20 season after Murray/Nisbet left). 

So, several things to unpack...

Frankie, brilliant signing, but considering the interest, wouldnt be surprised if we ended up moving him, especailly in the winter. Cynical, perhaps, but if we offered him an extension while assuring him we wouldn't refuse to allow him to move up if offered a higher level job, it is then worth money and play to us and confidence to him. Playing, Frankie is capable across the back, and at wing back too.

Tumilty at RB now has McKay and Lang as cover...Frankie could take LB for now, with Bene as cover. We want a LB, we don't HAVE to have one immediately...but expect to see one, especially if the speculation on Frankie above is true.

Lang is a reserve at first, Berra is probably playing with Bene and McKay if Frankie is on the left, and otherwise sharing duties. His role will be one of mentorship for Musonda, Lang and Mckay (lets not forget that Mckay is our youngest signed CB still).

I expect that Frankie indicating he would re-sign was probably the nail in the coffin for Armstrong getting an improved offer, as it then provided cover at LB with KMac gone.

Great news about Musonda, and encouraging news that Hendry is still in talks. I won't miss Ugwu; he wasn't terrible - had a physical presence  but was low on skill. Armstrong is a loss but his crosses won't be missed at all. Now that we've Musonda and some decent players coming in, a much strongr looking defence and the possibility of hanging on to Hendry and Spencer we could have a team that will have the rest of the league shiting themselves.

Happy enough with Musonda re-signing and hopefully makes a full recovery from his op.I,d have kept Ugwu as think he has a lot to offer in the the right formation.

Wish Davo all the best,great servant to the club and a player that came in for a lot of unfair criticism

5 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Happy enough with Musonda re-signing and hopefully makes a full recovery from his op.I,d have kept Ugwu as think he has a lot to offer in the the right formation.

Wish Davo all the best,great servant to the club and a player that came in for a lot of unfair criticism

I think Ugwu would have been better in a more workmanlike type of team like Ayr or Morton. Maybe he was beginning to adapt to our style, but McGlynn has decided he's surplus, like Duku. Duku is the great mystery, he had the whole country taking notice then entirely disappeared;  Covid? Who knows.

Davo has been a great servant,he leaves with everyone's gratitude surely. Maybe like Jason Thomson he'll do a job for Arbroath  😁

I wanted us to keep Ugwu but if McGlynn is presumably happy to see the back of him that should indicate he thinks he can do better than him, so fair enough, that’s a good sign.

Edited by Enigma

Not sad to see Davo, Gozie or Duku leave.  Davo has been a great servant but I'm not a fan and his attitude and temperament was shocking at times. Still believe there is better out there to replace Duku and Gozie. 

No surprise to see Jack Smith leave, most injured player ever.

Dan Armstrong and Macdonald will be missed but can be replaced. 

Davie McGurn will remain a club legend, but right time to go. 

Fantastic to see Frankie sign up again.

Now who do we sign. With all loans away and with at least 8 players away we probably have another 4 to sign along with the pre contacts  before a couple of loans come in. 

4 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Now who do we sign. With all loans away and with at least 8 players away we probably have another 4 to sign along with the pre contacts  before a couple of loans come in. 

Assuming all PCA’s sign…

3 keepers, we’re set.

5 CB, 1 RB and 1LB still signed but awaiting transfer…we can fill a back line but need a dedicated LB signing…7 backs seems about right, although another young L/RB or WB would be useful backup.

4 mids, 2 of whom are modern apprentices, with offers to two more mids…need to sign at least 2 experienced mids, Spencer and Hendry would do fine, and probably could use another experienced mid/winger.

4 forwards/wings, could use another forward and another winger.

Depending upon Spencer and Hendry, I see 4 to 6 new signings to set-up the team.

Wish Davo all of the best. He's been a fantastic servant. 

It’s just a shame the fans weren’t there to say goodbye at his last game. He’s been a great servant to the club, hopefully he’s invited beck once we’ve got crowds again for a friendly match like McGurn was. Davo often got stick for losing his head but he was certainly a good player for us over the years and had some great performances.
What’s his plans after Rovers, retirement, coaching, continuing to play? Not seen it mentioned.

42 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

It’s just a shame the fans weren’t there to say goodbye at his last game. He’s been a great servant to the club, hopefully he’s invited beck once we’ve got crowds again for a friendly match like McGurn was. Davo often got stick for losing his head but he was certainly a good player for us over the years and had some great performances.
What’s his plans after Rovers, retirement, coaching, continuing to play? Not seen it mentioned.

He most definitely deserves a better send off than what he's ended up with. Regardless of some of the things that have happened, he's been loyal to the club and I'm sure he's only ever wanted give his all. Hopefully the club can invite him back when crowds are allowed and do something special for the guy. 

Wasn't there talks a couple of years back about him becoming a fireman? I wonder if he's ended up pursuing that.