The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 clubs have announced their released/retained lists, 22 have yet to do so. If we're still having this conversation in a week's time, it's maybe a different story, but given our season finished later than a lot of these sides, I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. 

Source: the excellent Narey's Toepoker

3 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

20 clubs have announced their released/retained lists, 22 have yet to do so. If we're still having this conversation in a week's time, it's maybe a different story, but given our season finished later than a lot of these sides, I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves. 

Source: the excellent Narey's Toepoker

Fair enough. Hopefully we’re holding off to announce one or two of Musonda or Spencer staying but I’m a bit resigned to everybody out of contract leaving. If we can’t make good enough offers to MacDonald or Armstrong...

Just now, Enigma said:

Fair enough. Hopefully we’re holding off to announce one or two of Musonda or Spencer staying but I’m a bit resigned to everybody out of contract leaving. If we can’t make good enough offers to MacDonald or Armstrong...

I suppose it depends whether McGlynn is pushing the boat out for some at the expense of others. We'll know in the fullness of time I suppose. 

Who have we still to find out about? Hendry, Musonda, Spencer, Duku and Ugwu? 

Since the Paul McManus debacle Rovers haven't generally released statements on comings or goings until the day contracts were signed/concluded and in some cases ratified by the SFA.  With that in mind it was why for me the Lang, Zanatta and (particularly) Keatings announcements were so surprising. 

I think what we are currently seeing in certain (recent) cases is the breakdown of negotiations and players almost immediately announcing their departure knowing they have better offers on the table elsewhere. I'm fairly certain Rovers did/do want to retain the services of RH, CM, DA, FM & BS but after a successful season those players are in a strong position and are playing hard ball to get the best deal they can. Sadly Rovers will struggle to compete with offers from clubs with bigger budgets and if those clubs are located closer to players home and there's less travelling then it's only going to go one way, loyalty is a great thing but it only gets you so far.

So far we've heard through social media of 6 that's going, I reckon we're losing at least another 3 and possibly as many as 6.

Lot of damage being done and I worry that as previously said we will lose too much of the core.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

Lot of damage being done and I worry that as previously said we will lose too much of the core.

That’s the worry. Could result in us catching a heavy dose of second season syndrome.

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The club can’t release the list until we’ve spoken to everyone. Players are obviously choosing to post on their socials as soon as their conversation has taken place. Not a lot the club can do about that.

Pretty much this. One of the articles in the courier said final offers had been given to the players last week and there's a few away on holiday at the moment. 

Remember we are still a small club, with limited budget so players have to go to make room for hopefully better players. We still missed out last season by finishing 3rd. If we want to go to the next level we need a better player. Granted Hendry will be very difficult to replace but numerous Premier league players have been released, I still think Liam Polworth would be a great replacement for him. Out of the other players its disappointing for some to leave but they can all be replaced. Macdonald will be replaced, Duku and Gozie should he go can be replaced and Armstrong is a typical winger very good in some games but subbed in others.

Let's just see who the managers brings in.  The club have implied that they would be a bit ambitious this coming season, happy to give the manager the chance to bring folk in.

The thing is, with Killie and Hamilton coming down, they are a lot closer to our level of stature than Hearts were. Therefore the players we could be after will probably be on both Hamilton’s and Killie’s radar. Both these teams will be able to up any of our offers quite handsomely you’d think with parachute payments etc. 

What we don’t want to start happening is we continue to lose out on certain players, and have to rely on maybe slightly less calibre a player. These players could then also be already signed up with similar level teams in our division (ICT, queens, Morton) id include Ayr but they are quite happy signing up Morton’s dross before anyone else....

4 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Going by Instagram, Hendry and Davo are still In Portugal so both players won’t have really been spoken to yet, we’ll need to wait til they’re back before we know where we are

I've heard Sinky's with them, I hope he remembered his Pesetas.

Zanatta for Armstrong is a big downgrade.

With MacDonald away too there’s a good chance there’ll be a downgrade at left back.

If (when) lose Hendry we’ll likely have a downgrade in midfield.

It’s hard not to start to feel a bit pessimistic.

But we’ve got McGlynn so I’ll try and keep the pessimism in check.

McGlynn’s gift has always been in improving players and creating a strong work ethic where the team is greater than the sum of its parts.

We had a piss poor side finish 3rd in League One. From that side we lost a 30 goal a season striker in Nisbet and our best defender at the time in Euan Murray. We signed a chunk of our squad from the likes Airdrie, Forfar, Brechin, Stranraer etc and ended up title winners.

TBH, given our financial issues of the past, I’m glad we’re not being held to ransom by the likes of MacDonald/Armstrong. If they want more money than McGlynn thinks they are worth, thank them for their efforts and let them go. It’s a shame to lose the continuity of the squad but I trust McGlynn wholeheartedly to ensure we will start the season with a team capable of challenging for the play offs again.