The New Raith Rovers Thread

Completely agree. As I said I have no objection to running a hybrid model, but when you're doing so there is an obvious trade off. One player being on PT terms is a relatively extreme example that we've been running with, but I think you need at least a handful of PT players to justify the adjustments required. Clearly that's not what we had in place last season. 
I'm disappointed to let him go but think it's the right call for the club. Main concern really is it's another starter needing replaced in a team that didn't really need that much adjustment. There's a gap up front and there will also be a gap in midfield assuming Hendry leaves too, so that's three. We then have Musonda, Spencer and Armstrong as likely starters too, and depending on how that all pans out we might be looking at replacing more than half the starting XI, which isn't ideal. Continuity can be underrated at times. 
This. It's not inconceivable that there's only half of the 2020/21 side left by the time 21/22 commences. Effectively a new team.

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
5 hours ago, Michael W said:
Completely agree. As I said I have no objection to running a hybrid model, but when you're doing so there is an obvious trade off. One player being on PT terms is a relatively extreme example that we've been running with, but I think you need at least a handful of PT players to justify the adjustments required. Clearly that's not what we had in place last season. 
I'm disappointed to let him go but think it's the right call for the club. Main concern really is it's another starter needing replaced in a team that didn't really need that much adjustment. There's a gap up front and there will also be a gap in midfield assuming Hendry leaves too, so that's three. We then have Musonda, Spencer and Armstrong as likely starters too, and depending on how that all pans out we might be looking at replacing more than half the starting XI, which isn't ideal. Continuity can be underrated at times. 

This. It's not inconceivable that there's only half of the 2020/21 side left by the time 21/22 commences. Effectively a new team.

This is why I think I am much more keen to keep hold of Spencer particularly than some on here seem to be. He became an important player over the last year and keeps the continuity of that midfield and hopefully therefore the style of play.

On 18/05/2021 at 14:55, RaithRyan said:

Scott Robinson getting released from Livi - Ex Jambo too from McGlynn’s time.

maybe someone on the messiahs radar? Creative midfielder who could chip in with goals.

Mystic Meg 😂

5A342711-21EF-41A4-A2DB-98B956E1CB72.jpeg

2 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

Jack Smith has signed for Dundonald Bluebell.  Had high hopes for Jack hope he can work his way back up to professional level.

Thought he might’ve been a good signing for a League Two side like Edinburgh City (admittedly, my other team). Like you say, really hope he can kick on. 

Thought he might’ve been a good signing for a League Two side like Edinburgh City (admittedly, my other team). Like you say, really hope he can kick on. 
He needs game time. He's not played many games the past couple of seasons, but he has shown some ability, when he has.

Interesting read in the Record about Macdonads departure.  Was open to going full time for the right financial package and even offered to come in  two days a week if not but it doesn't suit the club.  Its a shame to see a good player like him leave when he is clearly desperate to stay.   Article states that we are due compensation so seems its more that hes been transfer listed than released from his deal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/hamilton-accies-kilmarnock-interested-signing-24197336

15 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Interesting read in the Record about Macdonads departure.  Was open to going full time for the right financial package and even offered to come in  two days a week if not but it doesn't suit the club.  Its a shame to see a good player like him leave when he is clearly desperate to stay.   Article states that we are due compensation so seems its more that hes been transfer listed than released from his deal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/hamilton-accies-kilmarnock-interested-signing-24197336

Usually always trust in McGlynn, but I feel this is a risky one.

57 minutes ago, Jack Jarvis, Esq said:

Gutted

6973895A-CEC5-420B-86A8-FE8CFF63E574.jpeg

What I find difficult to understand is , this was bound to have been discussed at the time of getting the extension, the club had to have a very good inclination we would at the very least be staying up,

maybe some kind benefactor out there could fund the difference 😊 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

Is he asking for ridiculous money or is there a bit of cutting off our nose to spite our face. 

You’d imagine he’s asked for enough to cover his loss of wages from whatever his job is, which in terms of Raiths budget might seem ridiculous. Bit of a nightmare when the player & club both want to make it happen but it’s just not feasible.

The way I'm reading that, is that for the money it would taken for Mcdonald to go full time, Mcglynn feels he could spend it better elsewhere.

If that is the case, I have zero problem with that.

It’s a shame and clearly both parties wanted him to stay. MacDonald can’t afford to take a hit in wages, Rovers can’t afford to make up his wages from his other job. Unfortunate but what can you do? Can see it being used as a stick to beat McGlynn/the club with if the replacement isn’t as good, but I don’t think there was a solution there aside from keeping a part-time player in the squad.

Hopefully doesn’t end up like McGurn last time we were promoted. Every manager we had tried to phase him out because he was part-time, only for their replacement to be shite with McGurn back as number one within a few months.

One of our players I have found most enjoyable to watch over the past couple seasons.  Which is saying something due to us playing at times superb football.

Will be a miss for sure.  No doubt come back to haunt us at some point as per the norm of ex players.

Clearly a wise head on the shoulders having an actual "proper" job to keep him sorted during and post football career.

Tough spot to fill on the teamsheet time will tell if we manage it!