The New Raith Rovers Thread

Beginning to look a bit like Duku will be away, judging by his social media posts, which while not unexpected is potentially a bit disappointing. Hope he manages to kick on if he is away. 
What posts are you referring to? The only ones I can see are essentially the same as every other player has been putting up.

Beginning to look a bit like Duku will be away, judging by his social media posts, which while not unexpected is potentially a bit disappointing. Hope he manages to kick on if he is away. 

For me not disappointing in the slightest, he had been murder since the turn of the year. Whether that’s a mental issue or Covid, either way, he was a shadow of himself the first ~4 months.

For me not disappointing in the slightest, he had been murder since the turn of the year. Whether that’s a mental issue or Covid, either way, he was a shadow of himself the first ~4 months.
Agreed. He started well but hasnt done anything of note since the covid outbreak. Speaks volumes that he was still given game time ahead of abraham[emoji23]

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Agreed. He started well but hasnt done anything of note since the covid outbreak. Speaks volumes that he was still given game time ahead of abrahamemoji23.png

He started well in terms of getting goals, on the other hand his hold up play was never any good and neither was he that good at making space for his team mates, always moving towards the ball. Ugwu looked a better bet on those metrics.

Honestly, I think Duku looked like he'd be a good fit as a second striker in an old fashioned 4-4-2, but in terms of our system he faded badly.

He started well in terms of getting goals, on the other hand his hold up play was never any good and neither was he that good at making space for his team mates, always moving towards the ball. Ugwu looked a better bet on those metrics.
Honestly, I think Duku looked like he'd be a good fit as a second striker in an old fashioned 4-4-2, but in terms of our system he faded badly.

Duku won a lot of flick ons etc early on and actually linked the play pretty well, but we were pushing players beyond him at that time. He seemed to lose a yard of pace after having covid as well unfortunately. Agree though he could fit in a more traditional formation like 442 better than how we were set up for the majority of the season. He seems like the type to get in behind from through balls or win flick ons rather than a penalty box style striker.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

Yogi shit canned by Ross County.

Not quite true. He left by his own volition to "explore further football opportunities". Whatever that's meant to be?

Edited by embow

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Duku won a lot of flick ons etc early on and actually linked the play pretty well, but we were pushing players beyond him at that time. He seemed to lose a yard of pace after having covid as well unfortunately. Agree though he could fit in a more traditional formation like 442 better than how we were set up for the majority of the season. He seems like the type to get in behind from through balls or win flick ons rather than a penalty box style striker.

Aye, and in the first sort of third where teams gave us more space and we got guys beyond him regularly it worked OK, though I never thought he was really aiming his flick ons as such, and when it came to bringing it down and holding on to it, it just wasn't his game.

19 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It will be interesting to see how many of those top flight jobs McGlynn gets linked to. 

Honestly, can't see it. Derek McInnes will be in the frame for the most profile job, Tommy Wright won't stay at Killie if they go down, and might get interest for a job with a better budget if he keeps them up. Meanwhile, Yogi will be applying for everything and County will probably just bring back Adams.

John McGlynn doesn't have the allure of a young up and coming manager, and his record outside of a KY postcode isn't great. You may think he is the Messiah, and I do too, but he doesn't have the CV to put him in the frame seriously for these jobs even allowing for the great season just gone.

Edited by renton

Even if John was linked elsewhere, he won’t leave....
I don't see mcglynn leaving us any time soon. He has a real affinity with the club and I'm not sure he's really chasing managing at the top level ahead of achieving that with us.

Noticed that Motherwell are releasing a huge amount of players, one being Liam Polworth. Played a lot of games for ICT and also a few in the SPL for Motherwell. Not sure if we could afford him but one worth considering. 

Just seen Bene on the BBC news getting interviewed on his way to Portugal for a golfing holiday.
Lewis Vaughan also tagged on Instagram with Regan Hendry, Robbie Thomson, Ross Matthews and Tony Dingwall on a golf course in Portugal.
Obviously a wee Rovers holiday. Well deserved.

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Just seen Bene on the BBC news getting interviewed on his way to Portugal for a golfing holiday.
Lewis Vaughan also tagged on Instagram with Regan Hendry, Robbie Thomson, Ross Matthews and Tony Dingwall on a golf course in Portugal.
Obviously a wee Rovers holiday. Well deserved.

Good job Elgin got downgraded to level 2