The New Raith Rovers Thread

Armstrong is a player I’d definitely like to keep, but if he did go I’m not convinced he’s utterly irreplaceable. Could be a bit of a Euan Murray scenario in that he’s clearly a good player you’d like to stay, but in the end leaving does no harm.

Or of course we might sign some diddy to take his place and miss him in every single game we play. That’s also possible.

13 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Was thinking this morning that this is probably the first time since 1994-95 and 1995-96 that we have had successive feel good seasons. Have I missed any out?

08-10? Sure the first season back in the championship was a slog and we finished 7th but included a SC semi final.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Armstrong is a player I’d definitely like to keep, but if he did go I’m not convinced he’s utterly irreplaceable. Could be a bit of a Euan Murray scenario in that he’s clearly a good player you’d like to stay, but in the end leaving does no harm.

Or of course we might sign some diddy to take his place and miss him in every single game we play. That’s also possible.

The biggest issue is flexibility, as Armstrong has started for us at LB and RW, and a few spots in between.

I like Armstrong's attitude - he never hides and always tries to make something happen, even if his decision making does let him down at times. This can become quite frustrating but we have asked a lot of him this season, not least as he's had to fill in a defensive slot due at times. I think we have also at times been overly dependent on our wingers, which adds pressure. 

Would be very happy for him to stay, although I think that mostly falls on whether a Premier league club wants him. Or maybe a relegated Killie as he's from that way originally. 

His set pieces can be terrible at times, though. That's on the list for a new signing! 

Edited by Michael W

I’ve been having a think for the current signed players/Squad for next season (correct me if I’ve missed anyone)...

RRFC Players for 21/22:

Goalies -
J MacDonald
Robbie Thomson
Kyle Bow (apprentice)

Defenders -
LB
K MacDonald (TBC, based on PT/FT arrangement)

CB
Kyle Benedictus
Dave McKay
Tom Laing (pre-contract)
Christoph Berra (pre-contract)
Frankie Mosunda (Super John seems to think he’ll stay)

RB
Reghan Tumilty

Midfielders -
Centre Mid
Ross Matthews
Dylan Tait
Quin Coulson (apprentice)
Aaron Arnott (apprentice)

Wingers
Dario Zanatta (pre contract)

Lewis Vaughan
James Keatings (pre contract)

Strikers
Luke Mahady (apprentice)

Of the players in current squad, 20/21, I’d like to stay:
Regan Hendry (obviously, but he’s away)
Brad Spencer
Dan Armstrong, I’m 50/50 on, if he stays great - if not - I’m not overly arsed, he’s done well for us, and if wants a crack at the Prem fair play to him.

Recruitment:
Cover at RB/LB, ideally someone who can do both
2x Centre Midfield, at least
3x Strikers (this is the key, and absolutely has to be spot on next season, if we can get someone like Duku who started the season, but to carry it from start to finish, would be absolutely unreal)
2x winger/#10 style of player

29 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

I’ve been having a think for the current signed players/Squad for next season (correct me if I’ve missed anyone)...

RRFC Players for 21/22:

Goalies -
J MacDonald
Robbie Thomson
Kyle Bow (apprentice)

Defenders -
LB
K MacDonald (TBC, based on PT/FT arrangement)

CB
Kyle Benedictus
Dave McKay
Tom Laing (pre-contract)
Christoph Berra (pre-contract)
Frankie Mosunda (Super John seems to think he’ll stay)

RB
Reghan Tumilty

Midfielders -
Centre Mid
Ross Matthews
Dylan Tait
Quin Coulson (apprentice)
Aaron Arnott (apprentice)

Wingers
Dario Zanatta (pre contract)

Lewis Vaughan
James Keatings (pre contract)

Strikers
Luke Mahady (apprentice)

Of the players in current squad, 20/21, I’d like to stay:
Regan Hendry (obviously, but he’s away)
Brad Spencer
Dan Armstrong, I’m 50/50 on, if he stays great - if not - I’m not overly arsed, he’s done well for us, and if wants a crack at the Prem fair play to him.

Recruitment:
Cover at RB/LB, ideally someone who can do both
2x Centre Midfield, at least
3x Strikers (this is the key, and absolutely has to be spot on next season, if we can get someone like Duku who started the season, but to carry it from start to finish, would be absolutely unreal)
2x winger/#10 style of player

You missed Mendy n Gozie 😉

I wonder if Gerrard will loan us Kennedy for the season again, as I think Aberdeen have offered a new contract to Ethan Ross, finding a good playmaker for midfield to replace Hendry is going to be difficult ( maybe Adam has another year at Championship level left in him if Dee manage to get up) 

In McGlynn we trust  

Don't get the negativity towards Armstrong. He is a tremendously skillfull player and is great to watch when on his game. His final ball/decision making clearly let's him down at times but if he had a better end product he would be nowhere near our level. Not much chance we will find a better winger if he leaves unless we get really lucky in the loan market. 

Edited by RR #1

16 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Don't get the negativity towards Armstrong. He is a tremendously skillfull player and is great to watch when on his game. His final ball/decision making clearly let's him down at times but if he had a better end product he would be nowhere near our level. Not much chance we will find a better winger if he leaves unless we get really lucky in the loan market. 

Would agree with this, and would add that his work rate now is tremendous, and he tracks back really well.

Would absolutely keep him. Hopefully McGlynn can instill some of that into Zanatta as well.

On Gozie Ugwu, I'm kinda torn. He didn't get a proper pre season but looked useful enough towards the tail end of the season. Obviously pretty limited as a player but technically way better than Duku when it comes to hold up play, runs off the ball etc. 

Keatings, will provide a good focus for the attack, and is pretty accomplished even if his recent record points towards a 1 goal in 3 games return at best. 

Vaughan, it goes without saying that with a full pre season behind him will be a hugely important player for us.

I think we need a striker who can reliably run in behind. If we keep Gozie around for the direct approach that might leave McGlynn more time to get a good look for a different type of striker.

46 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

You missed Mendy n Gozie 😉

If it was up to me I’d keep Gozie. 100% keep Armstrong as well. McGlynn generally is quite loyal. I can see Gozie being offered another season here.

Going by the gaffers statement in the Dee post match there are a number of players with offers in front of them. My guess is Musonda, Hendry, Spencer and Armstrong. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see most of em still with us next season, just a feeling.

51 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Armstrong is like an upgraded Grant Anderson really. And I had a lot of time for Grant. 

We started the season with Grant Anderson. 

That seems like a really, really long time ago. It was only October! 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Tony Dingwall, Joao Victoria and Lewis Allan only left the club in July. July last year. Feels like a good three or four years ago. 

Flying down the wing5WL33mx.gif.42d329fadb5628792b2661eb76ad3b78.gif

Musonda, Spencer and Armstrong are players I’d definitely keep, I’m not convinced we’ll be able to as they’ll probably have better offers from the division above or even down South.

Armstrong had a bad patch mid season but I like his attitude and even when things aren’t going right he keeps trying and never hides, never afraid to take his man on.

Spencer has been absolutely solid in the middle which has been our area of strength this season and he’s played a huge part in that.

Musonda is a rock at the back and Bene has looked the player he was before his injury playing alongside him, nothing against Davo but I’ve never felt him and Bene have really worked well as a pairing.

And finally Regan Hendry, I’m not sure there’s even a debate on this lad, he’s an outstanding player and unfortunately it’s not gone unnoticed by every other club. I think if we could somehow keep him for next season there’d be celebrations in Kirkcaldy rivaling a title win but sadly I can’t see it. His stock is high and he’ll have some good offers from far bigger clubs. While I’ll be disappointed to see him go I’ll wish him nothing but the best as he’s been a joy to watch at times.

I would be quite surprised if Armstrong and Spencer had offers from Premiership clubs, but they must have done decent options on the table if they've been stalling. I would have said the best either could hope for would be another Championship club that can offer better wages or possibly Hamilton at a push. 

I would be happy to keep both but losing them wouldn't be as big a blow as losing Musonda. 

Of the other out of contract players Ugwu and Duku are interesting decisions. Six weeks ago I would have been more than happy to see the back of Ugwu but he's shown he's got something about him and I think he might be offered something. If Duku has been struggling with long Covid I wonder if McGlynn might be tempted to offer him a deal if he thinks he could be back up to speed by next season. I suspect he'll have something lined up down south though and Ugwu might be the same. 

I can't recall McGlynn's exact words but he said something in the post match interview at Dens which I took as a hint that at least one of our loan players might be back next season, so expect Adam King to be announced any day now... 

8 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

( maybe Adam has another year at Championship level left in him if Dee manage to get up) 

Just the idea got me a wee bit excited…then I  thought about it a bit, and was still a wee bit excited. I suspect we would be a team of interest to him if he was to become available from his Dundee contract, since we play a type of up game that would suit him, but he’s 35 now. If you want a long shot, why not try Ross Forbes, he’s out of contract at the Sons soon, could add some experience to our youthful team, much like Berra…just not sure he’s still up to Championship play,

Otherwise, Ugwu I wouldn’t mind keeping on a cheap contract, if someone else doesn’t poach him. Musonda must be the priority now!

Edit: I’d be willing to take King again.

Edited by TxRover