The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

It’s a legitimate ambition and maybe it is best we aim high, just makes me a bit uneasy that’s all.  Still think we should walk before we can run and build a solid foundation that gets us established as a Premiership side more often than not first. We’ve not been in the top tier since 1997. Yeah Falkirk were in Europe, but look at where they are now. Aiming too high can bring you crashing back to earth with a bump unless the foundations are rock solid.  

I'd be interested to know how much extra the works are costing though compared with being just good enough for the premiership. With the new Conference League etc it is surely a legitimate goal to finish top 6 in the premiership within maybe the next 10 years if the club is being well run. The last thing we would want is to have an unbelievable season then slash the playing budget having to replace lights etc again that were only done a few years previous. If it is 10% more for some fancier bulbs it surely makes sense, was he perhaps just trying to stir up a bit of buzz by sounding ambitious?

2 hours ago, RRFC1989 said:

Bene, Musonda, McKay, Lang and Berra. That would be some centre half options next season!

Few question marks if they'll be up to the task in the Premiership.

Few question marks if they'll be up to the task in the Premiership.

Would expect to see either Lang and or McKay sent out on loan if that happens and maybe bring in 1 more. Certainly a strength and depth for the Championship though.

If big frankie stays that is a strong back line but the question remains around macdonald with us going full time. Will he want to chance turning pro? For me he's a key player and we should do all we can to keep him. 

It will be hard to keep macdonald depends on what he wants to do if he has a good job he may want to stay part time but if he wants to stay then we should offer him a deal but it’s up to him he will do what’s right for him and his family. If he leaves mcglynn will find someone else just has good.

It will be hard to keep macdonald depends on what he wants to do if he has a good job he may want to stay part time but if he wants to stay then we should offer him a deal but it’s up to him he will do what’s right for him and his family. If he leaves mcglynn will find someone else just has good.

Oh, he card reads good!

4 hours ago, Rover94 said:

Liam Dick, the Alloa LB, might be a tasty signing for either competition or replacement...at least if we stay down, not sure he’s fully ready for the top level yet. Irregardless, we should pursue KMac to sign full time.

If Musonda stays then the defence is shaping up nicely. Just need McGlynn to turn Dario Zanatta into a striker who gets a Kevin Nisbet/Nacho Novo/Brian Graham level of goals and we’re winning the league. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Managed to listen to the k107 show with John Sim on it today.

(As an aside, not enough love is shown on here for that show- it’s really excellent, with interesting guests every week, and Graeme and Stuart are really good hosts. Fills the void the treatment table podcast left when it disappeared many moons ago).

A few interesting things Sim said that I thought were worth mentioning in no particular order;

The pitch we laid was ‘accidentally’ a rugby pitch.
He said he wasn’t quite sure why our pitch is generally thought to be better than other ‘similar’ ones such as Livis, but it could be that we chose a longer blade length (60mm compared to 50mm I think) by accident which is generally used for rugby pitches.

Selling Keiron Bowie was a mistake.
He said that in hindsight they shouldn’t have sold Bowie but didn’t elaborate on why. Maybe he thinks that he would have been a useful addition to the side this year. Maybe he thinks if we’d developed him for another year we’d have got a bigger fee. I’m not sure.
Was surprised to hear that as I don’t think that it’s a view shared by the fan base.

Safe standing.
Seemed to think it was realistic for it to be installed within ‘a few years’.

Floodlights
Our current lights aren’t actually up to championship standard. The standard is 600lux, ours put out 592.
We’re upgrading them so that they will be champions league standard and put out 1100lux! They can be dimmed/turned down though so they won’t be that bright for community use.

Widening the pitch.
Plan is to widen the pitch from 63m to 68m which is UEFA standard.
Didn’t specify when but it didn’t seem like he was talking about when the pitch was being relaid.

The North and South stands are rotting.
He said both stands were not built correctly and were ‘rotting from the inside’ but this is being fixed.

Was also surprised to hear him criticising the players for ‘not turning up’ to some games and making comparisons with what he’d do to other employees who ‘didn’t turn up’ sometimes [emoji23]

Those are just a few of the things I picked up from it and I might have picked them up not exactly correctly.
I find him a really interesting character to listen to and feel really comfortable that he’s the top man at the club and is dictating the direction the club is taking.
He sounds like he won’t take any shit from anyone though!
Future is bright for us off the park anyway I think, let’s hope that translates to success on it.

I think he said we sold Bowie as we needed the cash at that point. No one could have anticipated Covid and the £500k grant handed to us by government, which I’m guessing would have allowed us to keep Kieran for our promotion push. A hindsight thing. 

Agree that the K107 show is excellent. Always something interesting in it. Tade and Baird were superb the other week. 

Liam Dick, the Alloa LB, might be a tasty signing for either competition or replacement...at least if we stay down, not sure he’s fully ready for the top level yet. Irregardless, we should pursue KMac to sign full time.

I’d like us to go and get the left back Queens had from Rangers, James Maxwell. He was very good against us.