The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

McKay, Bene, Berra and Lang for next year, launch Davo and find a new young CB to develop, someone like Musonda...ideally, exactly like Musonda, as in re-sign him!

He's finished let him go.

Stories Elsewhere we (St Johnstone)are close to signing  Regan Hendry 

I've seen him on TV a few times and was actually on a wish list of 10 I made 

Any in the know if this in indeed  happening and your views on the lad 

Thanks 

Not sure I buy into the theory that because a lot of fans disagreed with John McGlynn's team selection against Dunfermline in April 2011, and then again versus Hearts in April 2021, that he always makes strange decisions in big games. 

Is the suggestion that we've literally not played one big game under his stewardship in that time? Because we have, and we've done okay in some of them, so I'd say some folks memories are very selective. 

Can McGlynn be criticised? Of course he can, if you're looking for things to pin on him. Having no back up full backs is odd, hoping we could rely on Davidson and Mendy when we were already short of McKay in that central area was a mistake, as was recruitment further forward. 

Yes we needed bodies up front, as Vaughan is held together by hope, prayer and sinew and Ugwu also started the campaign injured, but we now have an abundance of (poor) forward players sitting on the bench, while a dearth of options further back is in the process of derailing us. 

As for Mendy, he was dreadful against a terrible Cowdenbeath team earlier in this campaign, and while judging him in a one off encounter versus the Blue Brazil is as knee jerk as one versus Hearts, I'd say he compares less than favourably to Ross Perry in a Rovers jersey, a central defender who was stinking for us, and looked less than capable while dribbling down the leagues until eventually reaching his proper level at Darvel, so no, I've no faith that Fernandy could compete at a level or two below. 

As for the playoffs, they're a coin toss, but winning two or three coin flips in a row is fairly tricky, which is why second was probably vital. 

I'm not entirely sure why Ross Matthews is so important to us, but he really is. He doesn't have a specific attribute which makes him stick out. His passing and tackling for example are all fine, but equally, there's nothing about him which is poor. He brings a balance to that midfield that no-one else can supply alongside Hendry, and can probably drive us up the park from deep more than the alternatives, and as someone pointed out a while back, we win so many more games with him than without him, that it can't just be a quirk. 

It's maybe also telling that all the games we lost heavily in this season, Dunfermline, and twice v Hearts, he wasn't available. We've also been pretty poor since he dropped out, the Arbroath draw, Alloa and Queens wins and Dundee and Hearts defeats might have generated an okay-ish amount of points, but in general, the performances were all between "meh" and "terrible" which is a concerning recent trend. 

That could all turn around though. Davidson will definitely win his appeal and will start on Tuesday as long as there's no weird thing about appeals being listened to across a bank holiday weekend, and all being well we could knock Dunfermline out and take momentum from it, but there's a reason no-one has ever got promoted from below second, the odds are stacked against you. 

Regardless, whatever happens, it's been a pretty good season in general, with a load of stand out moments that has surpassed our expectations, and while it might peter out, who knows, it might still end up with us laughing at John Hughes being relegated by a last minute Lewis Vaughan goal. We can all hope. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

11 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I'm not entirely sure why Ross Matthews is so important to us, but he really is. He doesn't have a specific attribute which makes him stick out. His passing and tackling for example are all fine, but equally, there's nothing about him which is poor. He brings a balance to that midfield that no-one else can supply alongside Hendry, and can probably drive us up the park from deep more than the alternatives, and as someone pointed out a while back, we win so many more games with him than without him, that it can't just be a quirk. 

On paper, he seems to compliment your other CMs, including Hendry in particular, well. Also your best "all round" CM...

Spoiler

"Profile" is their "style" of play, bar length to show how well balanced they are. Similar lengths to all bars mean well rounded player, large/small bars means distinctive style.

"Performance" is how well they've played this role v the division.

matthews.thumb.png.d4f54e9bd07a679a2a91abe1f014d0db.png

Tait.thumb.png.6a9ad05fdbe56f5dca5d22b90aa3573e.png

spencer.thumb.png.361ed8bf809455ce2314bcfb78162d75.png

2 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Thanks 

Mean this as no disrespect to St Johnstone but he could do a lot better than you. Everybody will be absolutely gutted when he leaves Stark’s Park. If we don’t go up him leaving will be a certainly. I’m sure you’ll have stiff competition for his signature. Possibly lured by the stability of your club and your manager, but then I’m sure Davidson will be linked with a bigger job before too long.

Edited by Enigma

Just now, Enigma said:

Mean this as no disrespect to St Johnstone but he could do a lot better than you. Everybody will be absolutely gutted when he leaves Stark’s Park. If we don’t go up him leaving will be a certainly, I’m sure you’ll have stiff competition for his signature.

I'm not sure about that. A top 6 side who are capable of cup runs and the odd qualification for Europe? 

I would say that's a great move for him. St Johnstone are a pretty inoffensive club too so it's the sort of place I'd be happy to see him end up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Steven MacLean put in a word for him. 

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not sure about that. A top 6 side who are capable of cup runs and the odd qualification for Europe? 

I would say that's a great move for him. St Johnstone are a pretty inoffensive club too so it's the sort of place I'd be happy to see him end up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Steven MacLean put in a word for him. 

If we’re delving into the realms of rumour what I heard was Hendry was particularly keen on playing at as high a level he could down in England. I could honestly see him in a Championship team down there, and not a shite one either. St Johnstone, in that regard, is as good a stepping stone you could ask for but I honestly think he could go further than Perth, to clarify my point.

Edited by Enigma

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

If we’re delving into the realms of rumour what I heard was Hendry was particularly keen on playing at as high a level he could down in England. I could honestly see him in a Championship team down there, and not a shite one either. St Johnstone, in that regard, is as good a stepping stone you could ask for but I honestly think he could go further than Perth, to clarify my point.

I think to get to the Championship down South he'll probably need to prove himself in the top league up here first so yeah St Johnstone would be an ideal fit for that. 

3 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Thanks 

49 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think to get to the Championship down South he'll probably need to prove himself in the top league up here first so yeah St Johnstone would be an ideal fit for that. 

Have to think that would be an excellent fit. Hendry shows well when our other mids are on game, but when the others are off or the defense is wobbly, he tries to do too much, and it hurts the best parts of his game. What you would get with him is a cool, composed team player who will do whatever your shape demands of him, and usually quite well. Excellent passer, every now and then shows a slashing attacker presence, and a dogged defensive type. Has the kind of vision for play and players that makes any team better.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

Wouldn't be surprised if hearts came in for hendry, they've seen him up close this season and he's from Edinburgh.

No chance. He's a hibee.

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

. I could honestly see him in a Championship team down there, and not a shite one either. 

I've watched a decent amount of championship football this year, you got any particular team in mind for that? 

I think the significance of being newly promoted into this league is in danger of being overplayed a bit.  Obviously we are in a comparatively great place vs where we have been, regardless of what happens this season.

However,  after the first round of games it was pretty clear that the group of players were going to do more than scraping survival.  I listened to the K107 show today and the main presenter seemed to imply that we were never going to finish 2nd after the Arbroath game, and even implied that McGlynns team selection may have been with half an eye on finishing 3rd. I  

I'm possibly being harsh, but I think that standards have been raised this season and I think we fell short of them over the past two games.  I don't think a side 4 points clear going into the last 2 games should view dropping a place as a forgone conclusion.  The team let themselves down a bit over the past fortnight,  which is testament to how well we have done at times this season, but I personally think we should have done better.

The season has been a success overall, but its really important at the very least we put a good showing in these playoff games.  Finishing the season with a wimper against your rivals would be a sickener, regardless of budgets etc.

Again, I'm likely being harsh to an extent,  but I think the club have a genuine opportunity to look upwards over the next few years.  

Why do folk think that a team that wins promotion should expect to struggle at the next level?  And hardly any club doesn't strengthen for the new challenge, as we did (and Arbroath have done well with more or less their 1st Division side). I don't buy this "finishing above 9th is success" - what pish.

10 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

- what pish.

A bit lke the rest of your post, everyone knows the step from League 1 to the Champonship is the biggest step in Scottish football, going from in the main from part time to playing a mostly full time league is a huge step, the difference between the top of the championship and bottom of the top flight is small and mainly down to the finances awarded by being in the Premier division. Survival was our ultimate goal, we have surpassed that with flying colours, the fact we lost 2nd spot on the last game although dissapointing was not unexpected given the opposition.

Even the most optomistic in our support would not have put us in the promotion play offs given the calibre of teams we were facing this season.

Edited by keyser_soze

30 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think the significance of being newly promoted into this league is in danger of being overplayed a bit.  Obviously we are in a comparatively great place vs where we have been, regardless of what happens this season.

However,  after the first round of games it was pretty clear that the group of players were going to do more than scraping survival.  I listened to the K107 show today and the main presenter seemed to imply that we were never going to finish 2nd after the Arbroath game, and even implied that McGlynns team selection may have been with half an eye on finishing 3rd. I  

I'm possibly being harsh, but I think that standards have been raised this season and I think we fell short of them over the past two games.  I don't think a side 4 points clear going into the last 2 games should view dropping a place as a forgone conclusion.  The team let themselves down a bit over the past fortnight,  which is testament to how well we have done at times this season, but I personally think we should have done better.

The season has been a success overall, but its really important at the very least we put a good showing in these playoff games.  Finishing the season with a wimper against your rivals would be a sickener, regardless of budgets etc.

Again, I'm likely being harsh to an extent,  but I think the club have a genuine opportunity to look upwards over the next few years.  

Wholeheartedly agree with this tbh. Looking back historically, every club who have been promoted other than Alloa and Brechin, two clubs with far smaller budgets compared to us, have gone on to finish in positions of relative strength and spent time within the playoff spaces. I feel we've had our hand forced somewhat by injuries but at the same time there's been an expectation that some players would be able to step up to the mark and they didn't. Realistically, promotion is a complete long shot with the playoffs given the budgets of the clubs we're facing. Dundee went out and brought in players who have won this league before. We brought in completely untested players with Kai Kennedy being arguably the only success (and for all his plaudits, you'd struggle to find a Rovers fan who would pick him over Ethan Ross). 

Sometimes it feels like clubs go through the motions towards the end of a season. There are players you know aren't likely to be in plans for the future - Mendy and Duku in particular who you can automatically tell won't be staying. For next season, I suspect it'll all be down to building a team around Dylan Tait to replace Hendry and trying to keep the likes of Matthews and Vaughan fit. We've obviously done a lot of work to get a core tied down for next season for pre-contracts. I certainly don't think that going into the Dundee game anyone realistically thought "We're fucked" given what they were like at Starks earlier in the season.