The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, da_no_1 said:
On 24/04/2021 at 23:36, roverthemoon said:
How are Hearts cheats? Petty, vindictive, deluded, childish...yes. But don’t really get the cheating bit. 

The Rovers way. Everyone else cheats according to you lot.

But... Your lot actually did. 

43 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Has there been any update on Ross Matthews injury and how long he is likely to be out? I seem to remember the Raith TV commentators mentioning him during the Arbroath game (I think) and suggested it wasn’t something serious and he’d be back soon but that was a couple of weeks ago now. Would be huge to have him available for Friday night.

I honestly believe he is one of our most important players, we don’t have anyone else that does the job he does in midfield. Tait, Spencer and Hendry are all better technically than Matthews but the energy and dig he provides in midfield is sorely missed.

Had a look at the stats to see if that showed his influence and it is pretty clear. In games Matthews has been involved this season:

Played: 17   
Lost: 3     
Goal For: 34    
Goals Against: 17 
Goal Difference +17

Without Matthews:

Played: 9    
Lost: 4    
GF: 11   
GA: 15   
GD: -4

It really highlights just how important he is. Without him we have lost almost half our games and have actually lost more without him thank with him despite playing 8 games less. The difference in our goals scored and against is highlighted in the huge goal difference swing. I will be a lot more confident for Friday and the play offs if he is available once again.

Good stats. There won't be many players more influential than that.

Basically then, if Matthews is back for Friday or the beginning of the play offs, we're going up.

On 24/04/2021 at 12:48, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I touted making a big novelty knife and fork (cardboard covered with tinfoil) and chasing the opposition up to the away end when they came out the tunnel when I was having a wee turn in the costume. 

Got vetoed as it might scare the kids. 

I'd have loved stuff like that when I was a young supporter. 

I was Roary the season Turnbull Hutton was vocal in the relegation of Rangers. On the first game of the season (I think vs Hamilton) I quickly put together a piece of cardboard saying 'We are all Turnbull Hutton' and paraded it around the stadium. Eventually got pulled to the side by the police and asked to put it away in case it aggravated any Rangers supporters or sympathisers in the crowd. 

5 minutes ago, ListerRRFC said:

I was Roary the season Turnbull Hutton was vocal in the relegation of Rangers. On the first game of the season (I think vs Hamilton) I quickly put together a piece of cardboard saying 'We are all Turnbull Hutton' and paraded it around the stadium. Eventually got pulled to the side by the police and asked to put it away in case it aggravated any Rangers supporters or sympathisers in the crowd. 

Fair play and everything, but the whole point is that there wasn't a relegation - the old club had a vote to admit the new one to the league.  It was in insisting that the new entity joined in the bottom division, under pressure to accept them in the first or second tier, that Hutton showed the leadership and courage. 

2 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Fair play and everything, but the whole point is that there wasn't a relegation - the old club had a vote to admit the new one to the league.  It was in insisting that the new entity joined in the bottom division, under pressure to accept them in the first or second tier, that Hutton showed the leadership and courage. 

Spot on.  At the risk of sounding like an obsessed Celtic Da’ they went bust and were readmitted to the league immediately. Turnbull simply became the voice of stopping them being given a further free pass to the top tier or the Championship. They moan like hell but they actually still got preferential treatment in the end - being readmitted automatically and leapfrogging teams that have been trying for years to get in.

7 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Spot on.  At the risk of sounding like an obsessed Celtic Da’ they went bust and were readmitted to the league immediately. Turnbull simply became the voice of stopping them being given a further free pass to the top tier or the Championship. They moan like hell but they actually still got preferential treatment in the end - being readmitted automatically and leapfrogging teams that have been trying for years to get in.

The SFA only care about money; they care not a jot about fairness for small clubs, I've witnessed the double standards for years. One example of many - the SFA kicking East Stirlingshire out the Cup because a letter was delayed in the post. Can you imagine thath happening to the OF, or even the Edinburgh duo?

3 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Fair point. Poorly phrased on my end.

Outside the ground at that game, the police were searching folk and even asked to see what football top i had on.

Musonda ruled out for the rest of the season. Disaster. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/2169394/frankie-musonda-is-ruled-out-for-the-season-as-raith-rovers-suffer-massive-injury-blow-ahead-of-the-playoffs-hearts-dundee/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Better news on Matthews - won't make Hearts but should be able to be part of the play-offs. 

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Musonda ruled out for the rest of the season. Disaster. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-championship/2169394/frankie-musonda-is-ruled-out-for-the-season-as-raith-rovers-suffer-massive-injury-blow-ahead-of-the-playoffs-hearts-dundee/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Better news on Matthews - won't make Hearts but should be able to be part of the play-offs. 

Shite 😟

That really is shan. For Frankie, as much as anything else. Not the end to the season that he deserves. He's been tremendous, and it'll be borderline miraculous if we make it through the playoffs without him. 

The only silver lining here is that I wonder if his injury problems might not increase the chances of us retaining his services for next year. 

As good as he's been, I'm not sure he's played quite enough football for a team at a significantly higher level to take a punt on him. 

Should say, fair play to Musonda for completing the rest of the game and helping us to a clean sheet in Dumfries despite a fragment of his patellar tendon coming off. He must’ve been in quite a bit of discomfort.

It's fortunate from our point of view that Davidson's hearing has been pushed back or we'd have been as well forfeiting the play offs.

A bit of a dilemma for the club with Frankie also. Do we pay for his op if he's going to be leaving us in the summer anyway?

That is a disaster and hard to feel its not one of those signs that it just isn't going to happen.

Huge blow to any chance of getting through all the rounds and actually getting promoted. Not only is he a class act, he and Bene are a big step up from Davo and Bene. It removes the option of those three playing in a back five. And last, Frankie also provides cover for Macca who has had a few niggles this year and may struggle to get through 4 games in two weeks, never mind 6 in 3. 

Brutal blow!

55 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The only silver lining here is that I wonder if his injury problems might not increase the chances of us retaining his services for next year.

That struck me too. I hope that means he'll stay.