The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was really hoping we'd finish 2nd. Obviously there is the additional cash, and the week's break, but for obvious reasons a double header with ICT wasn't appealing and the thought of getting knocked out by the Pars is pretty deflating. 

The way it's worked out, the Pars now have the luxury of resting their first team before the play offs while we need to go all out against Hearts. 

If we get the win that's not an issue, but if we don't it's not ideal preparation. 

I think our best hope is QOS to take something from Dundee to get us over the line. I wouldn't go hell for leather against hearts risking more injuries.

Edited by pub car king

The fact that we’re still sitting second in the table with one game to go, knowing that a win in that game would confirm that is incredible. The fact that as a fan base, we’ll be disappointed if we finish third is even more so. Aye, it’s shite we lost today but in our wildest dreams for this season, nobody could have thought this would happen. 

What this Rovers team have done is incredible and we can’t forget that. It’s down to the team now to go out on Friday and show the same spirit they showed at Tynecastle earlier this season. Beat them once, it can be done again. 

2 hours ago, steakngravy said:

It's up to us to go for the hearts bell ends as we have nothing to lose sitting back is not what we do well. We have to attack from the KO and keep on attacking. Let's show Budge we don't lie down for cheats.

How are Hearts cheats? Petty, vindictive, deluded, childish...yes. But don’t really get the cheating bit. 

5 minutes ago, therollorose said:

The fact that we’re still sitting second in the table with one game to go, knowing that a win in that game would confirm that is incredible. The fact that as a fan base, we’ll be disappointed if we finish third is even more so. Aye, it’s shite we lost today but in our wildest dreams for this season, nobody could have thought this would happen. 

What this Rovers team have done is incredible and we can’t forget that. It’s down to the team now to go out on Friday and show the same spirit they showed at Tynecastle earlier this season. Beat them once, it can be done again. 

This is spot on and some much needed perspective. 

Just do the same as this week. Another 0-0.
Congrats on staying up regardless. 
As I've said already, a semi-competent side would have won comfortably today. I really can't see past a comfortable Dundee win on Friday unfortunately.

19 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
22 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
Agreed. I remember there was an interview in the red tops with the family of an ex-soldier saying it might have triggered off PTSD or something. They of course to neglect that there were a fair number of people in our end singing "Sammy is a paedo". We need more antics from mascots tbh. It's one of the things which distinguished us out in the past. You always hear people talk about stuff like the Paisley Panda escapades. I absolutely love the petty stuff between clubs. Like how in our 95/96 season our programme editor adding "not playing in Europe" under every Pars player for the derby. 

Some boy, that programme editor.

He was indeed. 

I wonder where he does most of his writing / posting now? 😉

The play-offs in 2019 ruined a real ‘typical Rovers’ stat we had, with ten play-off matches played against Stirling, Airdrie, Hibs, Brechin and Alloa, we’d won one of the ten matches - I think every single Rovers fans would’ve been able to predict ahead of time that the solitary win would’ve come against Hibs.

Now it’s the dizzy heights of two wins from fourteen matches, with one tie won from seven. I fancied us to go up with a second place finish but 3rd/4th relegates it to very little chance at all. Staring at the real possibility now of throwing everything at Hearts, ending up 3rd anyway and going straight into a tie with a fresher Pars side.

A position we’d have killed for at the start of the season, of course.

21 hours ago, pub car king said:

I think our best hope is QOS to take something from Dundee to get us over the line. I wouldn't go hell for leather against hearts risking more injuries.

If we don’t go for the win, we’d need to win 3 play-off ties to get promoted. Seems a big ask for a club who aren’t great at play-offs. I really hope we manage to finish second.

I think we have tk pray that Matthews and Musonda are back this Friday. We could really do with the break.

This season has been so up and down. Every win feels great and every loss feels like you'll slide down the table. The team has shown they're as good as anyone but we definitely seem to struggle more with squad depth than the other. Doesn't help that we don't have a scoring striker at the club.

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:
19 hours ago, roverthemoon said:
How are Hearts cheats? Petty, vindictive, deluded, childish...yes. But don’t really get the cheating bit. 

The Rovers way. Everyone else cheats according to you lot.

Quoting a guy saying the opposite.  Some brain on this character!

Has there been any update on Ross Matthews injury and how long he is likely to be out? I seem to remember the Raith TV commentators mentioning him during the Arbroath game (I think) and suggested it wasn’t something serious and he’d be back soon but that was a couple of weeks ago now. Would be huge to have him available for Friday night.

I honestly believe he is one of our most important players, we don’t have anyone else that does the job he does in midfield. Tait, Spencer and Hendry are all better technically than Matthews but the energy and dig he provides in midfield is sorely missed.

Had a look at the stats to see if that showed his influence and it is pretty clear. In games Matthews has been involved this season:

Played: 17   
Lost: 3     
Goal For: 34    
Goals Against: 17 
Goal Difference +17

Without Matthews:

Played: 9    
Lost: 4    
GF: 11   
GA: 15   
GD: -4

It really highlights just how important he is. Without him we have lost almost half our games and have actually lost more without him than with him despite playing 8 games less. The difference in our goals scored and against is highlighted in the huge goal difference swing. I will be a lot more confident for Friday and the play offs if he is available once again.

Edited by R.R.FC

On 24/04/2021 at 23:36, roverthemoon said:

Exactly, they didn’t cheat. But they are guilty of playing the victim and vengeful childishness against the clubs that voted them down.