The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

I'm fairly sure he has already had a crack at his dream job (Hearts) and didn't do fantastic at Livi so it probably suits both parties for him to stay.

I think there was an interview with McGlynn recently where he mentioned his ambition to manage at the highest level. Hopefully that’ll be with us, but if the likes of Dundee United came calling I wonder if he’d fancy a move.

All he needs to do now is break the curse of the play-offs. Piss in all four corners of the ground, dig up the buried treasure and we’ll be playing Premiership football next season.

John McGlynn has done fantastic with us there is no doubt but to be anywhere near Sir Jimmy of Nichol he’ll need to gain promotion to the Premiership or win a major trophy. Both are a huge ask but John certainly has a shot at promotion with this team. We’ve nothing to lose play our best and see how we get on.

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

John McGlynn has done fantastic with us there is no doubt but to be anywhere near Sir Jimmy of Nichol he’ll need to gain promotion to the Premiership or win a major trophy. Both are a huge ask but John certainly has a shot at promotion with this team. We’ve nothing to lose play our best and see how we get on.

IF we get promoted, IF we can eep the team together who's to say McGlynn and Smith can't emulate what Jimmy achieved?

After all, weren't Livi  in a major cup final recently, and we gave them a fright.

Jimmy Nicholl definitely beats John McGlynn, for me. Won the cup with us a First Division side and took us to the Premier League twice. One might well argue that Nicholl inherited a promising side and McGlynn has come in with us in a poor position (twice), but two First Division titles, a major domestic trophy and European football cannot be argued with even accounting for a good team being inherited; it is well beyond expectations at a club like ours. 

Unfortunately my only memories of Nicholl I are the celebrations at the Town House when we won the Coca Cola Cup and a few games in the Premier League, as I was young at the time. Started going regularly during Nicholl II, which did not end well. 

I, too, was apprehensive about McGlynn coming back. Perhaps Nicholl's second spell was one of the reasons for that but I did think McGlynn managed us a season too long during his last stint. The 2010/11 season he took as as far as I thought he realistically could (2nd in Division 1) and for reasons outside of his control (budgets being cut despite a season where crowds were on average +500 from the previous season), the season afterwards was a huge regression. He had earned his move the season before but the job didn't materialise for him. I am pleased to report that that apprehension, whilst at times justified during his first season back, were misplaced. I had hoped that we would perhaps make a scrap towards the middle of the table this season, but realistically would've taken 8th place if offered it. That we're in the position we are is utterly fantastic and in excess of all our expectations. 

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I think we need at least Vaughan and either one of MacDonald or Musonda. A fit Gullan would be welcome.

PS If possible, Matthews for King would be a huge improvement

I’d take Smith for Gullan too...but absolutely need Musonda in for Davo.

Jimmy Nicholl definitely beats John McGlynn, for me. Won the cup with us a First Division side and took us to the Premier League twice. One might well argue that Nicholl inherited a promising side and McGlynn has come in with us in a poor position (twice), but two First Division titles, a major domestic trophy and European football cannot be argued with even accounting for a good team being inherited; it is well beyond expectations at a club like ours. 
Unfortunately my only memories of Nicholl I are the celebrations at the Town House when we won the Coca Cola Cup and a few games in the Premier League, as I was young at the time. Started going regularly during Nicholl II, which did not end well. 
I, too, was apprehensive about McGlynn coming back. Perhaps Nicholl's second spell was one of the reasons for that but I did think McGlynn managed us a season too long during his last stint. The 2010/11 season he took as as far as I thought he realistically could (2nd in Division 1) and for reasons outside of his control (budgets being cut despite a season where crowds were on average +500 from the previous season), the season afterwards was a huge regression. He had earned his move the season before but the job didn't materialise for him. I am pleased to report that that apprehension, whilst at times justified during his first season back, were misplaced. I had hoped that we would perhaps make a scrap towards the middle of the table this season, but realistically would've taken 8th place if offered it. That we're in the position we are is utterly fantastic and in excess of all our expectations. 

Pretty much everything you just said.

5 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

If Dundee don’t win in Inverness on Tuesday a draw will do us at Dens on Saturday. The big question is injuries. We play that team today at Dens and I think we lose. Add in Frankie and Macca and then one of Vaughan/gullan and we are a different prospect. Second would be massive and it’s not a huge impossibility that we go all the way.

We need one point from our next two games against Dundee and Hearts to virtually guarantee second. Even if Dundee beat ICT and ourselves they would need to make up a GD deficit of eight goals over their last three fixtures. Of course if they beat us by something like three goals then that changes the picture, but I think that's unlikely.

But I wouldn't like us to have to depend on avoiding defeat to Hearts on the last day, any kind of result at Dens will do. On the other hand, if we lose both matches and ICT win their three they can still finish second on GD if Dundee dont beat QOS.

JUST DONE LOSE AT DENS!

16 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

While there's a potential we'll lose some key players this Summer, the difference between our second place finish before and a potential second place this season is prize money: we'll get £570k if we finish this second. Before the winner of the old first division got £67k. Combine that with the Scottish Government grant for £500k and we'll be utterly laughing. 

Combine that with £50k from James Anderson,cash raised from " Donate a Ticket", sponsors, Raith TV, season tickets and all the various fundraising activities by groups and individuals. I would expect the club to better financially than it has been for many a year. Thanks to one and all. 👏👏

7 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

We need one point from our next two games against Dundee and Hearts to virtually guarantee second. Even if Dundee beat ICT and ourselves they would need to make up a GD deficit of eight goals over their last three fixtures. Of course if they beat us by something like three goals then that changes the picture, but I think that's unlikely.

But I wouldn't like us to have to depend on avoiding defeat to Hearts on the last day, any kind of result at Dens will do. On the other hand, if we lose both matches and ICT win their three they can still finish second on GD if Dundee dont beat QOS.

JUST DONE LOSE AT DENS!

That’s not correct. Dundee are only 5 points behind us with a game in hand. So if they beat Inverness and then us they would be a point ahead of us going into the last day of the season.

If they beat Inverness and then draw with us, we would likely only need a point on the last day against Hearts because of our superior goal difference, as you say.

We need an Inverness win on Tuesday for us to be in a situation of only requiring 1 point from our last 2 games to pretty much secure 2nd because of our goal difference advantage so fingers crossed for that outcome.

Edited by R.R.FC

What’s the situation with Vaughan, Gullan and K MacDonald. Have they been rested because of the surfaces at Queens and Alloa. Or is Gullan’s injury worse than we thought. Despite the efforts to maintain 2nd place as pretty amazing we need the strongest team available for the 2 most difficult games left. 

Edited by baillieinleeds

They are all injured, or at least have been. Not sure about Vaughan or Macdonald, but pretty sure it was thought Gullan would be out a couple of weeks. 

Macdonald I don't think was fit yesterday or else he'd have started. Musonda's absence pretty much enforced him being on the bench as an option. 

29 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

That’s not correct. Dundee are only 5 points behind us with a game in hand. So if they beat Inverness and then us they would be a point ahead of us going into the last day of the season.

You didnt read it right - I said we need one point from our last two games, it doesn't need to be at Dens.

50 minutes ago, Surely No said:

Combine that with £50k from James Anderson,cash raised from " Donate a Ticket", sponsors, Raith TV, season tickets and all the various fundraising activities by groups and individuals. I would expect the club to better financially than it has been for many a year. Thanks to one and all. 👏👏

Wouldn’t be too sure about that.

Last time we finished 2nd we made a big loss as we hadn’t factored in the increased number of win bonuses we had to pay out 🤦‍♂️

Just now, Raith_Raver said:

You didnt read it right - I said we need one point from our last two games, it doesn't need to be at Dens.

That’s still wrong. If Dundee beat Inverness and win at QOS on the last day, 1 point will not be enough for us, regardless of whether we get it against them or Hearts. As I said, if they beat us and Inverness, they will be above us going into the last day so I’m not sure how you’ve worked out a point against Hearts is enough.

It may be unlikely that Dundee win all 3 games but if they do, one point from us won’t be enough for 2nd. If Dundee draw with us and beat Inverness and QOS then we will also need to get another point against Hearts and rely on our superior goal difference.

25 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Last time we finished 2nd we made a big loss as we hadn’t factored in the increased number of win bonuses we had to pay out 🤦‍♂️

At least it's a shortened season this year. Less matches =less win bonuses. 

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

As I mentioned, before the values we get for finishing second now far exceed what we would've had when we finished second before under McGlynn. The real cost to us is the lack of fans: both in the sale of 'full price' tickets with less people buying (a family buying one stream rather than 3). Combined with hospitality we'll have taken a knock. The prize money and government grant with comfortably offset this though. It genuinely felt like the Scottish Government made an arbitrary decision with no idea of the financial side of the game and plucked a number out of thin air. Fortunately, it was a number which worked well in our favour. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

That’s still wrong. If Dundee beat Inverness and win at QOS on the last day, 1 point will not be enough for us, regardless of whether we get it against them or Hearts. As I said, if they eat us and Inverness, they will be above us going into the last day so I’m not sure how you’ve worked out a point against Hearts is enough.

OK, I get you. I took it that Hit The Channel was talking about Dundee losing at Inverness, but after re reading him he said if they don't win -ie it could be a draw, which I didnt allow for.

14 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Pretty much everything you just said.

Unfortunately the financial side to our success meant that Nicholl left the club in a debt that took years to pay off

That wont happen with McGlynn if and when he leaves