The New Raith Rovers Thread

20 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

So tells us again what does one and one = ? emoji12.png

He joined on loan first time under Smith, returned on loan when McGlynn was here and then signed after Celtic released him.

Touché!😄

Thanks for clarifying all the Regan signing moves. Much appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I notice McGlynn confirming in the pre match interview today that we have deals on the table for a few other players in the squad who haven't committed as yet. 

Yes, that struck me too, with Hendry and Musonda in mind. I'm hoping the delay is due to waiting to see where we finish in the league, if the money we get will be enough to give them the kind of deal that will keep them here.

Edited by Raith_Raver

Touché![emoji1]
Thanks for clarifying all the Regan signing moves. Much appreciated.

In all honesty I had to Google them [emoji23]. You’re probably correct with regards Hendry almost definitely having known McGlynn and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was McGlynn who pushed him in our direction.

49 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’d like to see us go after Stefan Scougal this summer, think he would fit right in and McGlynn would really get the best out of him.

He would've played under McGlynn at Livingston I think, so using lazy journalistic logic, we'll be after him in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

In all honesty I had to Google them emoji23.png. You’re probably correct with regards Hendry almost definitely having known McGlynn and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was McGlynn who pushed him in our direction.

I'm sure someone said at the time that Hendry was approached about coming back on loan at the start of that season when Smith was still in charge but wasn't interested because of the way his first loan went. 

I'm sure someone said at the time that Hendry was approached about coming back on loan at the start of that season when Smith was still in charge but wasn't interested because of the way his first loan went. 

Interesting and I guess not surprising as Smith didn’t seem to rate the lad. It’s genuinely unbelievable that a professional manager could miss the talent of a player like Hendry down at league 1 level. The only reason I can think of was Barry Smith had the dinosaur “he’s too light weight” / “he’s too wee” mentality

24 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Interesting and I guess not surprising as Smith didn’t seem to rate the lad. It’s genuinely unbelievable that a professional manager could miss the talent of a player like Hendry down at league 1 level. The only reason I can think of was Barry Smith had the dinosaur “he’s too light weight” / “he’s too wee” mentality

It was something like that. I think he said he wasn't ready for the physical side of it. 

I remember his first start, in the game away to Ayr that we lost 3-0. I think we had a few selection issues which forced Smith's hand but he was probably our only decent player that day in a pitiful performance. Regardless, he was the first player to be subbed that day. Smith really was an utter clown. 

It was something like that. I think he said he wasn't ready for the physical side of it. 
I remember his first start, in the game away to Ayr that we lost 3-0. I think we had a few selection issues which forced Smith's hand but he was probably our only decent player that day in a pitiful performance. Regardless, he was the first player to be subbed that day. Smith really was an utter clown. 

Always amazes me that so many managers in Scotland and England seem to have the attitude of players need to be big, there are so many examples of small or light weight players who’ve been absolutely class throughout the games history. The most obvious at the moment is Messi. Obviously there’s certain positions where you’ll need height and strength(CB and GK) but loads of positions where it’s not as important. Really glad to see John McGlynn doesn’t seem to have this dinosaur attitude as he’s played guys of various heights and builds. To me it’s just lazy management to pick a squad of big physical guys to try and out muscle the other team with long ball tactics and it’s normally dreadful to watch.

Sounds about right. Ridiculous that we had been screaming out for a creative player for months, and then in a huge game away at Ayr he was thrown in at the deep end, along with playing a very obvious still injured McHattie, I had already wanted Barry Smith out that summer, but after going 3-0 down inside an hour, it was time for Barry to go, and time to get the train back to Kirkcaldy.

On a much more positive note, look how far we’ve come! Super John min!!

Get a statue built for the man where that weeds bit is next to the steps at the ramp [emoji7]

15 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Which makes you wonder why the hell he brought him in on loan in the first place. 

It's not like he was 17 - he was 20.

The last league game of the season - Alloa knew they were frustrating us and Sat deeper and deeper. Anyone with the slightest bit of tactical nous would have known that the way to break them down was to keep possession and draw them out (a situation which Hendry was perfect for). Instead he threw on forward after forward to load their box and punt long balls towards them. 

No wonder Hendry wasn't keen to return at the start of the following season. 

6 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Which makes you wonder why the hell he brought him in on loan in the first place

Smith saw him tear us a new one in the Scottish Youth Cup at Lennoxtown and picked him up soon after.

There was plenty potential even in a game at that level.

57 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Smith saw him tear us a new one in the Scottish Youth Cup at Lennoxtown and picked him up soon after.

There was plenty potential even in a game at that level.

Of course there was, but why sign a player on loan for the second half of a season that you deem to be too lightweight? 

I'm certainly not of the opinion he was too lightweight - he held his own in the game at Ayr and even back then was light-years ahead of jobbers like Herron and Furtado.

Apparently one of the factors (among many) in Smith's relationship with the board deteriorating was that he asked for funds to sign another loanee for the run in to the 17/18 season and was told he wasn't getting funds to sign anymore players when he wouldn't play the ones he'd signed already. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

John Herron. You'd almost forget he existed but for the two goals he scored vs. Albion Rovers that one night.

While Callachan was always going to go, had we kept him I think we would have had the extra to win the league that year. The amount of chopping and changing we did to cover him not being there - including moving Vaughan to central midfield! - really shows up the shortcomings of that squad.

John Herron. You'd almost forget he existed but for the two goals he scored vs. Albion Rovers that one night.
While Callachan was always going to go, had we kept him I think we would have had the extra to win the league that year. The amount of chopping and changing we did to cover him not being there - including moving Vaughan to central midfield! - really shows up the shortcomings of that squad.
There was shortcomings everywhere in that squad. Vaughan ended up at centre midfield because we moved Robertson to centre half to cover Benedictus.

28 minutes ago, true_rover said:
46 minutes ago, renton said:

There was shortcomings everywhere in that squad. Vaughan ended up at centre midfield because we moved Robertson to centre half to cover Benedictus.

Which brings us back to Hendry. Sitting kicking his heels on the bench while this was going on.

5 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

Sounds about right. Ridiculous that we had been screaming out for a creative player for months, and then in a huge game away at Ayr he was thrown in at the deep end, along with playing a very obvious still injured McHattie, I had already wanted Barry Smith out that summer, but after going 3-0 down inside an hour, it was time for Barry to go, and time to get the train back to Kirkcaldy.

On a much more positive note, look how far we’ve come! Super John min!!

Get a statue built for the man where that weeds bit is next to the steps at the ramp emoji7.png

The area of garden next to the ramp has been weeded, replanted and is being maintained by a couple of our volunteers. A great deal of work has been done to improve this space as part of the general stadium management. We were awarded a small grant to cover the cost of materials and B & Q Kirkcaldy very generously donated many of the plants and shrubs. A great example of the club and community working together. 
😀😀

2 hours ago, lellywong said:

The area of garden next to the ramp has been weeded, replanted and is being maintained by a couple of our volunteers. A great deal of work has been done to improve this space as part of the general stadium management. We were awarded a small grant to cover the cost of materials and B & Q Kirkcaldy very generously donated many of the plants and shrubs. A great example of the club and community working together. 
😀😀

Perhaps some McGlynn shaped topiary then in lieu of a statue.

15 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Perhaps some McGlynn shaped topiary then in lieu of a statue.

I'd hedge my bets that there might be a problem getting the hairstyle life-like🤔🥴

Edited by embow