The New Raith Rovers Thread

Tough choices. I usually prefer a belter to a well worked goal, but I've gone for Hendry v Dunfermline for goal of the season simply because I can't ever think of a time we last scored a goal like that. Tumilty v Dundee in second place for me. 

POTY was also a very difficult call. I think Hendry will win this and he certainly will deserve to as he is a cut above, but I went for Jamie Macdonald. He's won us a few points this season with some excellent saves and had been very dependable. 

I agree some very, very tough choices.

PotY Could easily have been Hendry or Musonda who've both been excellent on their days.

Tumilty has been great, likewise could have picked Matthews who has been pivotal to the cause.

In the end I opted for Jamie Mac who has been virtually rock solid all season and has added so much stability to the backline.

GotS

Tumilty's strike was devine as were the equally superb finishes of Armstrong, Kennedy and Duku.

Matthew's was a lovely goal too.

Hendry's goal gets the nod not just for it being on his weaker foot but for the whole move and execution simply being a thing of extreme beauty, I think I'll be a lot greyer by the time I see another goal of that quality at SP.

Edited by Scottydog

JMac for PotY

Ugwu’s nonchalant back heel for GotY for me...love Tumilty’s and Duku’s thunderbolts, and Hendry’s 1-2 is beautifully worked, but that back heel is just sooooooooo fun, and being against Hertz helps it out too.

Reagan Hendry PotY by an absolute mile imo. He has to be in with a good shout of the overall championship player of the year award too. 

Goal of the season a real tough choice. We really have scored some beautys this season. I opted for Mathews against Morton superb run and finish and that through ball from Hendry was world class. 

Edited by RR #1

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Hendry's goal gets the nod not just for it being on his weaker foot but for the whole move and execution simply being a thing of extreme beauty

The role that Spencer plays in the move could easily be overlooked, I reckon him and Hendry had at least three 1-2's in the build-up.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The role that Spencer plays in the move could easily be overlooked, I reckon him and Hendry had at least three 1-2's in the build-up.

Agreed, and Spencer was involved 5 times in total.

Spencer > Hendry > Spencer > Kennedy > Spencer > Hendry > MacDonald > Spencer > MacDonald > Spencer > Hendry > goal

That’s great news. I thought he was going to go. Over the moon! Hopefully he’s fit for at least the majority of the those three seasons, if anybody deserves a bit of luck it’s Lewis Vaughan.

Really like what McGlynn is doing. Building a solid core of players, many of whom have been with the club for a while, and keeping them around so there’s a smaller turnover in the summers. A Rovers man, building a team of Rovers men.

28 minutes ago, Paco said:

That’s great news. I thought he was going to go. Over the moon! Hopefully he’s fit for at least the majority of the those three seasons, if anybody deserves a bit of luck it’s Lewis Vaughan.

Really like what McGlynn is doing. Building a solid core of players, many of whom have been with the club for a while, and keeping them around so there’s a smaller turnover in the summers. A Rovers man, building a team of Rovers men.

That's the biggest part for me.  After having to try and cobble something together out of the shit show that Smith left behind, Mcglynn has been building this squad for a couple of seasons now.  Makes such a difference when there is an actual plan in place.

As much as Zanatta and Berra may not be everyones cup of tea, I like that fact that Mcglynn knows what he wants at this stage already.  Thats good enough for me.

Trust the manager. 

That's Vaughan signed on until 2024

Fantastic news I was worried the club might see him a risk with his injury record but he’s done fine this season. We all know how good Lewis is, fingers crossed he gets some luck with injuries. Raith have stood by Vaughan and he’s clearly standing by us now as I’m sure a fully fit LV could attract interest from clubs higher up the divisions than us. Absolutely delighted, if we can get Hendry and Musonda tied down I’ll be over the moon.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That's the biggest part for me.  After having to try and cobble something together out of the shit show that Smith left behind, Mcglynn has been building this squad for a couple of seasons now.  Makes such a difference when there is an actual plan in place.

As much as Zanatta and Berra may not be everyones cup of tea, I like that fact that Mcglynn knows what he wants at this stage already.  Thats good enough for me.

Trust the manager. 

I know Zanatta isn't everyone's cup of tea to say the least, but I'm confident he'll be decent for us. He did really well with Alloa but hasn't performed for Ayr or Partick. We've seen before players who have lacked confidence, come in and then have a turn of fortune. Obviously, there's no guarantees but if McGlynn can have a big part in salvaging Kevin Nisbet's career he can have an impact on Zanatta. It's clear that he's liked by plenty of the current squad which should allow for him to feel a bit more 'at home'. 

As for Vaughan, it's great that he signed but I'm not too surprised. I feel like he'll be happy to remain with us as long as he's welcome. He's loved by the fans (he literally has a supporters club named after him), the manager rates him highly and we've stuck by him three times when it might have been the end of the road. If he left, there's no guarantee he'd have the support he enjoys here.

The real shocks would be if we can tie up either of Musonda or Hendry. Both have been exceptional for the most part this season. It wouldn't surprise me if Musonda goes but I have a misplaced sense of optimism that Hendry might put pen to paper just based on the togetherness in the squad and what is being built. Then again, I know f**k all about football. If he does go, I would never grudge him a move into the top flight - I just hope it's not to a club like a St Mirren or Livingston,