The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yeah he does come over as a really likeable guy. I'm glad he did improve as a result of the loan but for me this isn't his level. Sure he won't be short on offers when he goes at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Barry Ferguson viewed as the Scottish David Beckham is a highlight for me.

I don’t think Nando will ever be good enough for us. However, what can’t be denied is he seems a really nice guy and I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a player to succeed more.

2 hours ago, P.C said:

Yeah he does come over as a really likeable guy. I'm glad he did improve as a result of the loan but for me this isn't his level. Sure he won't be short on offers when he goes at the end of the season.

100% that Nando is an excellent ambassador for whatever club he represents. Disagree on not good enough to be a Championship reserve, but agree he is likely bound for a League One side and will play well there.

So, after today's let down its hard not to think that it will all hinge on Tuesday. Win and we're almost certainly in the top 4 regardless of what other teams do. If we can avoid defeat then QoS are probably out of the equation to catch us and Dunfermline might be too unless they beat Dundee in their game in hand. Lose and we'll probably end up having to beat Hearts to make the play offs. 

I can't help but worry we'll look back on today as the point it slipped away though. 

49 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So, after today's let down its hard not to think that it will all hinge on Tuesday. Win and we're almost certainly in the top 4 regardless of what other teams do. If we can avoid defeat then QoS are probably out of the equation to catch us and Dunfermline might be too unless they beat Dundee in their game in hand. Lose and we'll probably end up having to beat Hearts to make the play offs. 

I can't help but worry we'll look back on today as the point it slipped away though. 

If we lose, and the Pars lose, we’re still a decent bet for third (or even second, if we beat Dundee).

It’s difficult after what’s happened today, but if you just take a step back from where we’ve been the last two years, it’s fucking incredible.

Its still in our own hands even up to the Dundee game to finish 2nd. The rollercoaster that is Raith Rovers keeps going and going. 

we didn’t play incredibly today, but still the movement and the way we keep the ball is exactly how I want to watch my team going forward for years to come. Far from the finished article, but if we could just get a wee break and manage to get up to the top flight I can see us flourish with the brand of football we are playing right now. Don’t care what anyone says either, but having that pitch out down has really started to reap the benefits in terms of actually getting a team to start playing football the way it should be played. What a change it is to see us have players who are all very comfortable on the ball and being able to pass and move. Granted it’s not going to win you the 3 points every game, but least we are decent to watch these days. 

We've definitely got a team that's easy on the eye; McGlynn and Smudger have worked marvels. It's just frustrating that we seem to have a mental weakness, we just don't finish teams off when we have them for the taking often enough. How we've only had 2 points off ICT, three off Ayr and 4 off Arbroath is very frustrating when we should have one much better.

9 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

We've definitely got a team that's easy on the eye; McGlynn and Smudger have worked marvels. It's just frustrating that we seem to have a mental weakness, we just don't finish teams off when we have them for the taking often enough. How we've only had 2 points off ICT, three off Ayr and 4 off Arbroath is very frustrating when we should have one much better.

Yeah, that’s just the inconsistency though at this level. You’ve got to give credit to the teams who have maybe out fought us in order to get the better of us. But I genuinely believe that no team has actually outplayed us this season. Maybe hearts at Starks park. But apart from that. No other team. That just shows you the progress we’ve made. 

Edited by Wardy

10 hours ago, Wardy said:

Yeah, that’s just the inconsistency though at this level. You’ve got to give credit to the teams who have maybe out fought us in order to get the better of us.

Agree with both your posts, I think a lot of the inconsistencies, even during games, is down to the age of the squad. People often forget just how young a squad it is.

Take yesterday for example, comparing the two sides:

Raith Rovers     
Players over 30 in entire squad: 1 (Jamie MacDonald)   
Average age of outfield eleven: 23.6     
Players under 28 in starting eleven: 9    
Players under 28 in squad: 14

Arbroath      
Players over 30 in entire squad: 8    
Average age of outfield eleven: 27.3

Players under 28 in starting eleven: 3

Players under 28 in squad: 5

I think that experience showed in the way Arbroath reacted to going 2-0 down, they didn’t panic.

With such a young side, they are always going to be frustrating and a bit inconsistent. When it clicks and they are full of confidence (like Dunfermline at home) it will be a joy to watch but performances are always a bit more up and down with young players and in difficult situations they can be more prone to letting their heads drop or panicking than an older side. We saw the difference that Steven Anderson and MacLean made with their experience last season.

It’s just a shame we won’t be able to keep the whole team together to see them reach their full potential with us because it is very exciting to see the growth, even in the last 12 months of so many of our players. However, that’s why, as much as his best playing days are behind him, the signing of someone like Berra with his experience on and off the field will be very helpful to this group of players. 

Edited by R.R.FC

Legend is an epithet sometimes given too freely.

In this case, legend is deserved on multiple levels, namely his service to the club, on the pitch and in helping to save the club and devotion to attend Starks Park during his illness.

It doesn't  seem like 10 years, but here we are.

See the source image

Edited by Zen Archer Esq.

On 11/04/2021 at 00:13, Raith_Raver said:

Only 1 off ICT. 

But yes, we've never stolen many/any points off teams this season. Only chucked them away.