The New Raith Rovers Thread

As with any new signing, I will give him a chance but not overly impressed by that one. Seems a bizarre signing. Didn’t particularly rate him last time aside from a brief burst of form before he was temporarily recalled by Hearts in January.

Had a good season at Alloa but struggled at Partick Thistle and Ayr more recently. He definitely has ability though and is still relatively young so will be interesting to see if McGlynn can get the best out of him. Our style of football this time around will definitely suit him more than Barry Smith’s hoofball.

Looking at it optimistically Ayr United and Mark Kerr seem to have struggled to get the potential out of a few of their attacking players. Look at the difference in Bruce Anderson and Innes Cameron after they left. However, I wouldn’t have high expectations of Zanatta being anything other than a squad player. 

I don’t think there’s much chance of us going up this season and the squad retentions and signings so far all look decent for Championship level but we’d be in a bit of bother if we actually went up.

The Auchterarder Chippy - Pie and Bov’s affiliated Podcast are runni by a Twitter Poll for Scotland’s Coolest Stadium. Stark’s Park is in danger of losing out so head over to Twitter to see what you can do!  Voting closes in 3 days!

Absolutely.  We know he's shite, you know he's shite. I'm shocked Mcglynn doesn't 

I wasn’t actually sure how he did for you lot hence why I didn’t mention Raith with ourselves and Partick.

Can only vaguely remember him playing against us in the League 1 season.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wasn’t actually sure how he did for you lot hence why I didn’t mention Raith with ourselves and Partick.

Can only vaguely remember him playing against us in the League 1 season.

He scored a couple of crucial goals and did actually contribute enough for Hearts to recall him. 

But all in all, an underwhelming winger. And we've had a load of them. 

Regarding Hendry he’s good at championship level or bottom 3 or 4 of the premiership , Duku I like but won’t be that fussed if he left at the end of the season must be something in it that’s he’s played for about 10 different teams his attitude maybe , Mcglynn won’t take his crap so maybe he’s thought he a billy big time

In general, I quite like these pre-contract deals. Certainly getting the business done early is preferable to a more Jim Duffy-esque approach to the window where you've only got four guys at pre-season training. 

In terms of Zanatta, I'm surprised John McGlynn has felt the need to get him locked down this early. I can't imagine clubs would've been falling over themselves to sign him. Thinking about it now, though, he must surely be at the bottom end of the wage table for full-time players, and he's shown enough promise to (hopefully) be a good squad player at this level. It's possibly just a case of the gaffer filling a place nice and early, with someone who has experience at this level, can play in a couple of positions, won't be demanding a start every week and won't cost the earth. 

Is my rampant optimism showing again? 

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'm also underwhelmed, he strikes me as one of those types that has one decent game in four.

A bit like Armstrong then? 

While Zanatta's not someone that I'd have on a list of summer signings, I'm not totally against it. Although his performances were hit and miss with us, he did have a knack of popping up with a goal even if he was playing poorly. 

The annoying things about him for me were the constant diving and a tendency to not go in where it might hurt.