The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

You can relax folks.  I think Rovers have 9 games left and there is no way you will pick up zero points from those 9 games - it just won't happen.  Similarly, the sides in the lowest places just now ain't gonna win all their remaining games.  I think any side breaking through the 30 points barrier this season will be safe - hope to hell Queens can do it today.  Thought Rovers looked decent last night, just need to start taking chances but that will come.  Keep the faith.

Agree with this. In terms of a top 4 finish, drawing against teams 7 or 8 points behind us isn't great (although it helps your team out) but it's perfectly acceptable in terms of avoiding relegation. 30 points will certainly be enough and even if we did lose every game it would require a pretty freakish sequence of results for every team from 6th to 9th to overtake us. 

57 minutes ago, renton said:

Is it wrong that I'm still shiting it for relegation far more than the prospect of missing a top 4 finish

Looking at todays fixtures there's a decent chance the other teams in the top 5 will all win their matches against teams in the bottom half. If that happens I think we're fine. 

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

After reading the commentary and such, I’m not looking forward to the “highlights”.

Took a while to convert the footage we got to work with our editing program. Here are the highlights...

6 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Anyone got enough time, on their hands to find out how many corners we’ve had so far this season, and assist from them ?

No, however if you have time on your hands the data is available on the BBC website.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

You can relax folks.  I think Rovers have 9 games left and there is no way you will pick up zero points from those 9 games - it just won't happen.  Similarly, the sides in the lowest places just now ain't gonna win all their remaining games.  I think any side breaking through the 30 points barrier this season will be safe - hope to hell Queens can do it today.  Thought Rovers looked decent last night, just need to start taking chances but that will come.  Keep the faith.

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Agree with this. In terms of a top 4 finish, drawing against teams 7 or 8 points behind us isn't great (although it helps your team out) but it's perfectly acceptable in terms of avoiding relegation. 30 points will certainly be enough and even if we did lose every game it would require a pretty freakish sequence of results for every team from 6th to 9th to overtake us. 

30 points over 27 games would keep you safe in eighth place or above in almost any of the last 20 seasons at the second level. There were, as I recall, perhaps two seasons where you might even be worried (at 40 points over 36 games).

Edited by TxRover

Agreed. Beat Caley at Starks and we're sitting in a very helpful position. In particular, it's a great result for Alloa. The league is utter ridiculous at the moment. A couple of results for Alloa and it'll be impossible for anyone to say who will end up where in the league aside from Hearts. We need to get back to winning though. Ideally McCann leaves Keatings out again for Tuesday. 

5 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:
16 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
Beat Caley at Starks

I see the problem here.

Come on now! At home we’ve only lost the last 5 league fixtures to them. We managed a 0-0 back in 2002.

There’s even that recent 3-3 draw in the League Cup to get our hopes up. We have to beat Inverness sometime. Might as well be this season.

We're firing blanks and I'm not confident about Tuesday. It's great watching falcons and swallows darting about in midfiled but we have turkeys up front.

PS what's the latest on Vaughan?

Edited by Raith_Raver

28 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

We're firing blanks and I'm not confident about Tuesday. It's great watching falcons and swallows darting about in midfiled but we have turkeys up front.

Hopefully we can get Manny Duku back to his best?

Not sure what’s happened there. Someone mentioned he had caught COVID. Maybe he’s just not right yet. He looked anything but up for it on Friday, but that could just be that he was pissed off at only getting 5 minutes at the end of the game to make a difference.

Gullan has shown he can get among the goals too. Just need to get everyone firing again.

Edited by Scary Bear

43 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

PS what's the latest on Vaughan?

Goosed?

Utterly rotten tonight again. For years we've sat each Summer and said "surely Davidson will be gone" and he's offered a new deal and every single season he's back to act as a liability. He's our oldest player other than David McGurn (a third choice goalkeeper who is more of a coach) and at 37 he's had a longer career than most to know you can't do what he did tonight. For all he's chipped in with a few goals this term I refuse to believe that any other centre half couldn't have added the same. At the moment, as soon as Nando is back he should be lightyears ahead in the pecking order. The big man gets slaughtered but he's done very little wrong compared to Davidson. 

Caley created a few really good chances and probably should have had a couple more but when you play for 80 minutes with ten minutes you can't help but think we did them a huge favour by getting such a stupid sending off. It was a well taken finish from a long punt up the pitch but it was well deserved. 

At the moment, we're in a position where we need to try something new. The 4-2-3-1 has had the arse collapse out of it. As mentioned, Armstrong looks well off the pace at the moment. I'd be delighted if we focused our squad around Vaughan, Kennedy, Matthews and Hendry. Our back line should be the one which ended the game tonight week in week out. There's clearly a reason that Manny Duku hasn't featured much now: he's claimed on twitter he is completely fit but based off what's been doing the rounds his head got turned in January and we must have kicked back an offer. I'd be surprised if any team is looking at him if he's chucked in the towel. While this is all speculation, if you chuck it half way through a season you're only going to be fucking things up for yourself. It's a vicious circle as the fans will see the lack of any effort and slaughter the guy who in turn won't bother his arse. Timmy Abraham isn't even in the picture and frankly looked woefully out of his depth in the time he has played, spending far too much time moaning at the referees. Ugwu didn't have a sniff tonight but in general has been poor aside from that first half against Hearts. 

Really hard to see where we go from here. For all Kennedy did well in his first few games, I'd still rather that we had Ethan Ross who had an element of surprise to him. A thoroughly underwhelming evening and while it's obviously still raw, you can't help but feel frustrated.