The New Raith Rovers Thread

Tumilty shirked a challenge then allowed the cross. Not even sure Davo lost his man was just beaten in the air.

He is finished at this level but the blame he takes is mental sometimes.

Spencer was non-existant, Duku’s link play is woeful and Hendry and Armstrong were poor.

Thought Kennedy was the best player on the park by a mile today.
Duku was better at linking play earlier in the season when we had players running beyond him. He isn't the type to hold the ball up like ugwu will. We didn't have many committing beyond him today to take advantage of that. His touch was off today though. We've looked most dangerous when we've done that as it has forced mistakes or at the very least got us playing in the oppositions half more. It also suits the fullbacks pushing on more as they have less defensive dutys.

Davo did lose his man but overall put in a decent performance today. He stuck the ball home to get us back in the game as well so can't really complain too much.

1 hour ago, HoustonRover said:

Tumilty shirked a challenge then allowed the cross. Not even sure Davo lost his man was just beaten in the air.

He is finished at this level but the blame he takes is mental sometimes.

Spencer was non-existant, Duku’s link play is woeful and Hendry and Armstrong were poor.

Thought Kennedy was the best player on the park by a mile today.

Agree completely about Kennedy. 

Not sure if it’s available on a listen again service but if it is try and catch the K107 interview with Wayne Henderson and John Baird.  Great stories and incredible stuff from Baird about what Rovers means to him and the Ramsdens Cup win. Actually had me quite emotional listening pre-match yesterday. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Not sure if it’s available on a listen again service but if it is try and catch the K107 interview with Wayne Henderson and John Baird.  Great stories and incredible stuff from Baird about what Rovers means to him and the Ramsdens Cup win. Actually had me quite emotional listening pre-match yesterday. 

https://embedded.autopod.xyz/episodes/show/734

Yeah, a couple of great guests. Really enjoyed yesterday’s show.

Watching the Fulham v Palace snoozefest. Obviously we have our link to Fulham via Bowie and Abraham, but I remember we have some form of link to Palace in the last decade. Which makes me ask: whatever became of Christian Nanetti?

Watching the Fulham v Palace snoozefest. Obviously we have our link to Fulham via Bowie and Abraham, but I remember we have some form of link to Palace in the last decade. Which makes me ask: whatever became of Christian Nanetti?

Was he not QPR? Only thing I remember about him was him being tiny and featuring on the Soccer AM skill school alongside Raheem Sterling.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Was he not QPR? Only thing I remember about him was him being tiny and featuring on the Soccer AM skill school alongside Raheem Sterling.

Yeah, you might be right. It was QPR.

Edited to add: my confusion came from the fact we had that never worn red and blue striped away shirt that year.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I went to a reserve game at Stirling Uni we played again East Stirling and I think he played, as you say he was tiny. Built like a paper boy. Seems like he’s ended up in lower league football in Italy via some National League South teams in England and Cork.

4 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Mcgurn leaving at the end of the season as we're going fully full time. 

Robbie Thompson signs an extension and is taking over goalie coaching role. 

it's a shame not to just have McGurn around the club. 

Has anyone told Keiran McDonald?

2 minutes ago, renton said:

it's a shame not to just have McGurn around the club. 

Has anyone told Keiran McDonald?

I was just about to post something similar, Mentioned this to my son as potentiality and possible cause of KM's drop in form.

If he's unwilling to go FT we may see a new LB coming in, hopefully Macca will take a chance and go for it does anyone know what his other job is?

6 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Mcgurn leaving at the end of the season as we're going fully full time. 

Robbie Thompson signs an extension and is taking over goalie coaching role. 

Wonder what that means for Kieran MacDonald? He is already signed up for next year so either he’ll be moving on or he has agreed to go full time.

Either way a good step to be returning completely full time and a positive reflection of the current financial health of the club despite the challenges of the pandemic.

I like the idea of the hybrid if you have the very best part time players in the country that you couldn’t have any other way but I don’t really think that his been the case for us. Grant Anderson, Victoria, McGurn, Miller etc all fall under the solid experienced pros rather than outstanding part time footballers like Tam O’Brien for instance.

Also, if anything sums up our luck with goalkeepers it’s the fact that Robbie Thomson with almost 50 appearances for the club has came on as a sub in almost 10% of his games for us!

I like Macdonald but we probably have to acknowledge that having one PT player is a bit of an anomaly for the rest of the squad. Hopefully an arrangement can be worked out but this I imagine wholly depends on how his earnings outside of football are. 

The hybrid system does work in L1 but in the Championship it's a stretch. I think this is the right decision. 

The hybrid system was the correct thing to do last season, it gave us the benefit of full time football whilst allowing us an element of squad depth.  

Realistically, if the club can afford, going completely full time makes sense.  I am far more confident of it being done properly under John Mcglynn.  Its a no brainer if you don't; a) fill the squad full of absolute shite (Locke) or b) assemble a piss thin squad, still shite, but expect the fact they are full time to make all the difference (Smith)