The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, grumswall said:
1 minute ago, TxRover said:
I’m OK with Mendy for Davo or Bene (with Musonda)...I prefer Musonda/Mendy/Bene...I’d like a backup for LB, and able to play CB helps.
Next season we have Lang and Bene, tell me how good that sounds? 10-10

Is bene under contract for next season?

Aye.

Last 3 or 4 games Davo has looked to be our best defender, KMac was better today but  Bene still not convincing. 
Whilst I agree Davo is pretty much finished, on recent showings he’s still a better option than Nando and probably Bene.

Musonda is by far and away the best defender we have on the books, I’d love to see him, Lang  and McKay as a centre half pairing option next season.

I’ll say it again though, it’s a shame at the start of the season we didn’t get Deas.

Edited by Scottydog

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Davo cost us the goal today by losing his man, albeit he made up for that later. 

Tbf, Tumilty has to be stopping the cross in the first place. Far too passive as a defensive unit for the goal.

Edited by renton

26 minutes ago, renton said:

Tbf, Tumilty has to be stopping the cross in the first place. Far too passive as a defensive unit for the goal.

This is a growing theme with defenders. Too many defenders continually back off too frightened to commit and allow ultimately the cross or shot.  Tumilty is guilty of this as was Tierney for Arsenal in their last game I saw.  One of the worst culprits in a Raith shirt was Ewan Murray for us, it drove me mad.

Just now, Scottydog said:

This is a growing theme with defenders. Too many defenders continually back off too frightened to commit and allow ultimately the cross or shot.  Tumilty is guilty of this as was Tierney for Arsenal in their last game I saw.  One of the worst culprits in a Raith shirt was Ewan Murray for us, it drove me mad.

Aye, when he was playing as a full back Murray would back off into the car park if he could.

We've been talking about problems at CB for the last three seasons. Lo and behold, things don't get better when the same partnership is played! Losing your man or being caught out of position a recurring theme. Musonda is head and shoulders above the rest of the CBs. 

The problems at the back are by no means limited to the CBs, however. As a unit we often don't look particularly joined up. 

Both our fullbacks get caught too far up the pitch or out of position due to how we play. The cbs are always going to be put under pressure because of it which is probably why davo is preferred to mendy. Him and bene have enough experience to cope better than a largely untested mendy, who hasn't shown enough to be a better option than a past it davo and an inconsistent bene.

Considering the majority of motms go to whoever scored in any given game it's not exactly something to be bigging davo up for. He did a decent job today but did lose his man for the goal. It shouldn't have got to the stage where that mattered though and he did have a decent enough game. I couldn't really see a clear motm today in all honesty. It was a team performance rather than any single player standing out above and making a massive difference.

Tumilty shirked a challenge then allowed the cross. Not even sure Davo lost his man was just beaten in the air.

He is finished at this level but the blame he takes is mental sometimes.

Spencer was non-existant, Duku’s link play is woeful and Hendry and Armstrong were poor.

Thought Kennedy was the best player on the park by a mile today.