The New Raith Rovers Thread

Remains to be seen if someone comes in but it’s always interesting to hear what folks think we need most, a defender, a creative midfielder and a goal scorer all suggested.

It’s a shame we can’t strengthen in all 3 positions.

Defensively we are weak, both Bene and Macca were louping at Arbroath and although Lang would be good in the middle it wouldn’t help Macca much who has been poor for weeks. I know he had Covid but it looks more like a mental than physical issue as it looks like his game is poor not his fitness.

Not having Matthews and losing Brad during the warm up highlighted our sudden  weakness in what most of us considered to be a strong midfield. Perhaps King just needs to settle in but so far he’s not looking much cop. Hendry looks like he’s not happy as he’s not been at the races for some time, he sat far too deep at Gayfield was no creative threat at all.

Up front we have three effective goal scorers but one is  off the boil, one is out with a thigh issue and the 3rd looks like he did when he 1st arrived and took time to settle in. The two other options look like they couldn’t find their way to goal if they were given satnavs.

Maybe it’s just a case of the 3 new guys not settling in and gelling yet as John said but of what we've seen of them so far one looks fairly hopeless and the other 2 look well short of the form we’ve seen from them in the past.

Edited by Scottydog

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Remains to be seen if someone comes in but it’s always interesting to hear what folks think we need most, a defender, a creative midfielder and a goal scorer all suggested.

It’s a shame we can’t strengthen in all 3 positions.

Defensively we are weak, both Bene and Macca were louping at Arbroath and although Lang would be good in the middle it wouldn’t help Macca much who has been poor for weeks. I know he had Covid but it looks more like a mental than physical issue as it looks like his game is poor not his fitness.

Not having Matthews and losing Brad during the warm up highlighted our sudden  weakness in what most of us considered to be a strong midfield. Perhaps King just needs to settle in but so far he’s not looking much cop. Hendry looks like he’s not happy as he’s not been at the races for some time, he sat far too deep at Gayfield was no creative threat at all.

Up front we have three effective goal scorers but one is  off the boil, one is out with a thigh issue and the 3rd looks like he did when he 1st arrived and took time to settle in. The two other options look like they couldn’t find their way to goal if they were given satnavs.

Maybe it’s just a case of the 3 new guys not settling in and gelling yet as John said but of what we've seen of them so far one looks fairly hopeless and the other 2 look well short of the form we’ve seen from them in the past.

Personally I thought hendry was one of the only players that wasn’t constantly passing the ball straight back to Arbroath last week

The only position we should be strengthening is centre back or at a push left back cover. Tait, Vaughan, Armstrong, Kennedy, Hendry from a deep role and Gullan who can play wide offer enough quality creative midfield options for a club at this level regardless of any questions over current form.

Likewise, Duku, Ugwu, Abraham and Gullan are more than enough striking options. Adding another striker or midfielder at this stage would be madness and a waste of limited funds.

Edited by R.R.FC

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The only position we should be strengthening is centre back or at a push left back cover. Tait, Vaughan, Armstrong, Kennedy, Hendry from a deep role and Gullan who can play wide offer enough quality creative midfield options for a club at this level regardless of any questions over current form.

Likewise, Duku, Ugwu, Abraham and Gullan are more than enough striking options. Adding another striker or midfielder at this stage would be madness and a waste of limited funds.

Agreed. All we have is creative midfielders. If we could find a destructive midfielder from somewhere, that'd be fine, but otherwise it's a centre half. 

I'm a little concerned at what that might mean for Frankie Musonda though. I haven't watched the pre-match interview yet, has there been any indication on what Musonda's injury timeframe might be? 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Agreed. All we have is creative midfielders. If we could find a destructive midfielder from somewhere, that'd be fine, but otherwise it's a centre half. 

I'm a little concerned at what that might mean for Frankie Musonda though. I haven't watched the pre-match interview yet, has there been any indication on what Musonda's injury timeframe might be? 

Yeah, a physical destructive older head in midfield is something I’d like to see. I get that doesn’t fit in particularly with the style we try to play but it would add better balance. We are missing Matthews badly. He obviously isn’t a destructive midfielder, more box to box. But he is the most adept at doing the dirty side of the game in our current squad and without him we have looked a bit lightweight.

Nothing mentioned pre match about Musonda. With 4 centre backs in the squad, regardless of what we think of their quality, I agree if McGlynn adds another one it would make me fearful Musonda could be out for a while. 

I think our problem of late, other than constant start / stop of the season with match postponements etc is something that McGlynn skimmed  over during one of his interviews - having too many players is proving more difficult to deal with that not enough. In the  first third of the season in particular when numbers were down and the team more or less picked its self this was when we had our best spell. More or less the same team playing the same formation and getting great results., a consistent period. We then get players back from injury, more signings then all of a sudden more things to think about, different players, different formations and unfortunately indifferent results. 

We need to get back to a settled line up and settled formation, ok a change at the back worked at Morton but was woeful against Arbroath, but we have shown that we have the system and players to do better, just hope McGlynn gets back to it before we drop back down the league again.

On 25/02/2021 at 19:57, Rover1990 said:

McGlynn saying in his pre-match interview maybe another addition to be made before the loan market closes.  Hopefully it is a defender.

On 25/02/2021 at 19:57, Rover1990 said:

McGlynn saying in his pre-match interview maybe another addition to be made before the loan market closes.  Hopefully it is a defender.

You boys are trying to get Lewis Neilson on loan from Dundee Utd

38 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Why do we need a CB good buddy 10/4

I’m OK with Mendy for Davo or Bene (with Musonda)...I prefer Musonda/Mendy/Bene...I’d like a backup for LB, and able to play CB helps.

Next season we have Lang and Bene, tell me how good that sounds? 10-10