The New Raith Rovers Thread

22 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Better than Ray’s team who last made the play-offs?

It's very hard to compare. 

I'm pretty sure Mckinnon's team only won four games all season by more than one goal - we certainly weren't racking up 5-2s and 5-0s.

On the other hand, it was a much tougher league with the Rangers, Hibs and a decent Falkirk team in it. 

Our record against the top three was pretty grim - six points from a possible thirty six, we lost to both of the relegated teams that season as well, but what we were brilliant at was eeking out odd goal wins against the teams we were effectively vying for the final playoff position with (Morton, St Mirren and Queens). We managed something ridiculous like thirty two points out of thirty six against those teams, virtually all of which were by a one goal margin. 

The perception is maybe that this season's team is better as they have a pretty low average age, are playing some great football and have a very likeable manager. 

On 14/02/2021 at 20:15, Scary Bear said:

That team was excellent but it also felt pretty short-lived in the end. I think this team just edges it with the attacking football they play. Maybe lack consistency but when they are good they are an absolute joy to watch.  Although aware my perception may be warped by the few seasons of dross that preceded this. 

9 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

That team was excellent but it also felt pretty short-lived in the end. I think this team just edges it with the attacking football they play. Maybe lack consistency but when they are good they are an absolute joy to watch.  Although aware my perception may be warped by the few seasons of dross that preceded this. 

Just hope it isn’t as short lived as Ray’s team. A lot of our players are free agents in the summer.I’m sure McGlynn will have the contacts to rebuild. 

I would say I prefer this team to the Ray Mac team, ignoring any snakery.
I wasn’t one of them, but folks were calling for Ray Mac to be OUT, up until around December time. It was almost from the Elgin (best away day ever) Cup game onwards that it started turning back in his favour, and then the January window obviously worked a treat.
The stat to look at if someone can be arsed digging it out, is look at Ray Mac’s first 18 (?) games pts/game, and compare to our first 12 (?) games pts/, that would roughly align with where both were at the time of the season.
We also then went with a fatal 4-way of Craig Barr & Bene, and then defensive midfield pairing of Davo & Toshney. Can’t see Super John ever going that defensive, but it was hugely effective that 2nd half of the season, paired with Ryan Hardie’s goals.

As I recall we absolutely scraped the win at Elgin that day, Cameron and Gunn were problematic but Easton was their danger man. 

An early outing for Bates who was our MotM that day I though probably one of his best games for us.

5 minutes ago, Jack Jarvis, Esq said:

The only players from that team that get into this is McKeown, Toshney and Hardie I’d say. 

Callachan would, in my opinion. The 2014/15 version of Craig Barr would as well.

Squad v Elgin in the cup

Cuthbert, Benedictus, Anderson, McCord, Stewart, Davidson, Daly, Bates, McKeowan, Craigen, Robertson. 
Subs, Laidlaw, Petrie, Callachan, Matthews, Ford, Campbell, Mackie.

Survivors from that team in bold but if in the form of that time then; Cuthbert, Bates, Craigen, Callachan would be starting contenders along with the unlisted Hardie, McKeown, Toshney  (also Barr & Vaughan who was in rehab No1, Conolly hadn't yet arrived and Longridge was also still to come), the youngsters Laidlaw and Mackie would be useful squad additions.

I reckon you could field a fairly strong team from that era, true most have diminished in life since leaving us and very few have gone on do better but still could be competetive at the right end of the championship.

Cuthbert,

Bates, McKeown, Toshney, Bene, 

Callachan, Matthews, Conolly, Craigan

Hardie & Vaughan

Subz: Laidaw, Thomson, Mackie, Davo, Robertson, Longridge, Stewart, 

That team may have lacked the width of todays team but had some decent players and I think with McGlynn at the helm it'd be damn close!

As I recall we absolutely scraped the win at Elgin that day, Cameron and Gunn were problematic but Easton was their danger man. 
An early outing for Bates who was our MotM that day I though probably one of his best games for us.

Pass... 1 too many Vodkay’s in their social club, was absolutely mortal at the football, a few pies and a burger from the van at Asda sorted me out, only for more vodka on the train back down the road

3 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

I wasn’t one of them, but folks were calling for Ray Mac to be OUT, up until around December time. It was almost from the Elgin (best away day ever) Cup game onwards that it started turning back in his favour, and then the January window obviously worked a treat.
The stat to look at if someone can be arsed digging it out, is look at Ray Mac’s first 18 (?) games pts/game, and compare to our first 12 (?) games pts/, that would roughly align with where both were at the time of the season.
We also then went with a fatal 4-way of Craig Barr & Bene, and then defensive midfield pairing of Davo & Toshney. Can’t see Super John ever going that defensive, but it was hugely effective that 2nd half of the season, paired with Ryan Hardie’s goals.

To be clear: better than the Ray team from February onwards that season?

That middle third of the season was as bad as the usual clocks go back stuff under Murray.

That trip to Elgin was absolutely wild.  All I can remember is hipflasks being passed around the away end, walking through the home support as Mccord scored and fearing for my life, and chatting to Ally Gourlay outside the ground after the game, only for John Daly to interrupt and seem genuinely upset at how the Rovers fans were amongst the harshest he had come across in his career.

The comparisons can only be made come the end of the season.  If we finish in the playoffs and fail to go up, then I wouldn't say this team were better.  We had some cracking results under Mckinnon and the form in the last 3rd of the season was superb.  

That said, we completely bottled that last playoff game at Easter Road.  Such a disappointment. 

4 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

We had a long winless run that ended with a victory away to Falkirk on I think Boxing Day. The game was on BBC Alba. We were up there in the playoff spots  and fell down pretty quickly during the winless run, only to charge right back up the league again. 

It was the January signings that really turned things around and set us on our way. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

We had a long winless run that ended with a victory away to Falkirk on I think Boxing Day. The game was on BBC Alba. We were up there in the playoff spots  and fell down pretty quickly during the winless run, only to charge right back up the league again. 

It was the January signings that really turned things around and set us on our way. 

Are you not confusing that with Grant Murray’s last season? We won away at Falkirk on BBC Alba after Maurice Malpas came in and went on a good run but it ultimately fell apart again before the end of the season.

Under McKinnon, I don’t think we were out the top 4 all season despite a couple of winless runs in November and January. We did get a 2-2 draw at Falkirk in February which was the beginning of a positive run of results to the end of the season after the January additions.

I always think the first half of the season results under McKinnon are exaggerated. We weren’t great by any means but we always seemed on course to stumble our way into 4th. The run of form after the signings was outstanding though and turned us from a decent side to a very good one. Shame about the first 10 minutes at Easter Road...

I trust in true Rovers fashion we will improve after the clocks change making us an unstoppable force of free flowing football. Honestly not that bothered comparing the current lads to Ray McKinnon’s team. We’re great to watch when we play well at the moment and yes we’ve had 4 stinkers but this is quite a young team. I’m genuinely looking forward to watching our games at the moment. Arbroath should be a good test as Dick Campbell’s men have improved and hit some form. Hopefully we get a good weather day as it’ll suit our style of play. Mathews being out a bit longer is disappointing any update on the rest of the walking wounded?

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I'm surprised you made the game.

Are you not confusing that with Grant Murray’s last season? We won away at Falkirk on BBC Alba after Maurice Malpas came in and went on a good run but it ultimately fell apart again before the end of the season.
Under McKinnon, I don’t think we were out the top 4 all season despite a couple of winless runs in November and January. We did get a 2-2 draw at Falkirk in February which was the beginning of a positive run of results to the end of the season after the January additions.
I always think the first half of the season results under McKinnon are exaggerated. We weren’t great by any means but we always seemed on course to stumble our way into 4th. The run of form after the signings was outstanding though and turned us from a decent side to a very good one. Shame about the first 10 minutes at Easter Road...
The first half of the season we were in a battle for 4th, by the end of it we were as close to Rangers as we were 5th.

21 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Very possibly. A lot of those seasons have somewhat blended into one...