The New Raith Rovers Thread

I enjoyed Callachan when he was with us. The only thing that infuriated me was when he would try and get the long range rasper off, which never came off, ever!
The only goal I really recall Callachan scoring was away to Ayr, 1st or 2nd game of the season under Locke. (I’m sure he scored more, but can’t think of any others off the top of my head.)
Selling him then not replacing him led to Vaughan at cm and most likely cost us the league throughout that season. His drive and energy was always excellent for us even if he did miss the odd long range effort.

12 hours ago, HoustonRover said:

If Duku isn’t running in behind or poaching he offers very little especially against the better sides in the league.

Ugwu for me brings more to our play, links well and brings the team up the pitch.

Ugwu is, indeed, a more polished player. Abraham seems near to Ugwu’s level already, just needs a bit more experience. Either play to Kennedy’s strengths, as the multiple link ups between Kennedy and Abraham the last few games have shown, and will soon payoff.

Duku has probably earned a spot elsewhere already, and if he hasn’t would be welcomed back next year here...why play him right now when others needing a look are available and healthy?

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Ugwu is, indeed, a more polished player. Abraham seems near to Ugwu’s level already, just needs a bit more experience. Either play to Kennedy’s strengths, as the multiple link ups between Kennedy and Abraham the last few games have shown, and will soon payoff.

Duku has probably earned a spot elsewhere already, and if he hasn’t would be welcomed back next year here...why play him right now when others needing a look are available and healthy?

Are you suggesting we shouldn't play our top scorer just to give others a chance to show what they can do?

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Are you suggesting we shouldn't play our top scorer just to give others a chance to show what they can do?

To a certain extent, yes. We need to win games and we need to see what talent we have. Ugwu and Abraham have showed potential...Duku is a known quality, a poacher...we are looking for a striker. In the middle, we really could do with seeing the younger lads get some time, but again we have to consider the situation and score.

Simple fact, Duku is out of contract at the end of the year. Has Duku done enough to be re-signed by JMcG...probably, but not as a number one striker, in my opinion. He’s a great player to have in the box when a cross comes in, and has enough pace to worry the back line, but his first touch is too often a little poor. Ugwu looks the better answer, but we don’t know yet...and he’s also out of contract...Abraham looks promising, but he’s back to Fulham at the end of the year. What do we gain by playing each:

Play Duku, advertise him. Potentially helps us sign other players in the future.

Play Ugwu, advertise him. Ditto

Play Abraham, help Fulham. Perhaps helps us find a channel for some talent from Fulham in future.

Lets face it, Ross got playing time, and so will Kennedy, because it helps us, and possibly improves our chances of future loans. Play Duku now and then, learn about Ugwu, and play Abraham heavily, and we make the most of our possibilities. Raith Rovers is not a team that develops a large amount of talent, but can become a team that helps higher level teams develop their young players while benefiting from that relationship. All this while we develop some of our own...who will also benefit from learning with and from these loaned players. Picking out Duku and Ugwu from the lower English leagues just validates JMcG’s eye for talent in the eyes of other teams.

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

If Tx had his way we'd see a different line up each week. 

No, but we should use the late subs, when possible, to explore the depths of the team.

Tx, that's pretty much nonsense. Mcglynn has shown he has an eye for youth players, considering he set up the youth set up that brought through Vaughan, Matthews, Callachan, bates etc. He's been back 3 years? roughly and has already netted us a nice sum for bowie while bringing in excellent young players like hendry and davo.

It's unclear why duku isn't playing. My best guess is he's suffered a little worse from covid than others have and is being protected to an extent. It's hard to say ugwu is better than duku when duku is our top goalscorer. You did always champion lokotsch, who scored roughly the exact same amount of goals as ugwu has though. What do you have against the Dutch?

Tom Lang signed a pre contract with the Rovers. I know his opportunities were limited for Dunfermline but I am happy with that signing.

He was superb in our 1-0 at Starks against Clyde and fits the ball perfectly for what we want in that position. Strong, good on the ball and if memory serves me right he has is reasonably quick too. I was actually hoping we would have signed him when he left the Pars in the summer.

Looking forward to seeing how he develops, he is still a good age. Encouraging to see John and Paul planning ahead for next season and looking to correct some of this season’s weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Tom Lang signs on a pre contract until 2023 from Clyde.

I do admire the fact that Rovers seem to love signing a player who I rated, but who didn't get much of a chance at Dumbarton. It started with Kieran MacDonald, then Brad Spencer and now Tom Lang. It seems to have worked out pretty well for the first two; so hopefully Lang follows in their footsteps. 

We'll ignore the time I said that Kevin Nisbet looked like a decent enough player, but would make a smashing defensive midfielder and not a striker...

We will need to rotate the squad round a bit to deal with injuries, suspensions, pitch quality and also for tactical reasons. To suggest at this point in the season we shouldn't play someone since they are out of contract this year is madness. Guess we need to drop Musonda as well?

We will get enough rotation to see what everyone can do. Unfortunate that Gullan and Matthews are out but gives opportunities and competition for places. Its a shame we haven't seen more of Coulson but priority is to finish as high as we can for the season but I think the remaining February fixtures really keep us in with a good shout of keeping pressure on Dunfermline.

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

He was superb in our 1-0 at Starks against Clyde and fits the ball perfectly for what we want in that position. Strong, good on the ball and if memory serves me right he has is reasonably quick too. I was actually hoping we would have signed him when he left the Pars in the summer.

Aye, he was unbelievable that day. Head and shoulders above anyone else, and really unlucky to be on the losing side. 

I'm delighted with this. There was talk in another thread this week about how much easier it had been to sign attackers than defenders this year, for whatever reason, but this seems like about as solid a pick-up as the Rovers can expect. Young, with a fair deal of first team experience, and who's looked decent (and v handsome) at the level immediately below the one we're at. 

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I do admire the fact that Rovers seem to love signing a player who I rated, but who didn't get much of a chance at Dumbarton. It started with Kieran MacDonald, then Brad Spencer and now Tom Lang. It seems to have worked out pretty well for the first two; so hopefully Lang follows in their footsteps. 

We'll ignore the time I said that Kevin Nisbet looked like a decent enough player, but would make a smashing defensive midfielder and not a striker...

That’s nothing, Kevin Cuthbert played Nisbet at right wing back...

What type of player is Tom Lang? Does he have much pace? My memories of him are being physically strong and good on the ball but I’ve not seen a whole lot of him.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

He barely played for us after a lengthy injury so it might not mean much, but I think he could step up to this level easily. 

Without a doubt. To be honest he hasn't been all that brilliant this season but in fairness has been playing alongside a few charlatans. 

Should fit in very well there.