The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’d sooner keep Hendry and try and fight for the chance of making the playoff, are we going to go up? very unlikely but we’ll certainly never go up if we give away our best players for buttons. Here’s last years prize money.

1st - Dundee United - £562,500

2nd - Inverness CT - £475,000

3rd - Dundee - £400,000

4th - Ayr United - £325,000

5th - Arbroath - £250,000

6th - Dunfermline - £225,000

7th - Morton - £212,500

8th - Alloa - £200,000

9th - Queen of the South - £187,500

10th - Partick Thistle - £175,000

From 3rd to 8th in £200,000 difference and I doubt we’d even get £50,000 for Hendry with 6 months left on his contract. After 8 games we’re 3rd with a game in hand (ok it’s Hearts but at least it’s at home). Outside of Hearts is any team massively better than us this season? Yes we lost up at Inverness but it’s also the worst we’ve played all season. There’s no reason we shouldn’t fancy trying to get in the top 4.

12 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah fair point, I was more meaning that is the only other side in recent memory I can think of who focused on keeping the ball on the deck and building the play that way consistently. I was only around 10-11 years old back then though so I tend to only remember the good from that time. In particular a couple of great away performances at Hamilton and Dumbarton but they obviously weren’t regular occurrences.

A Game at Perth when we beat St Johnstone.  A Saints fan I know conceeded that we hardly gave them a kick, such was our possession.

I have always expected Hendry to move on after this season. He has been excellent and has definitely earned a step up in his career. Would love to see a couple of extensions signed soon following up on the excellent work with Dylan Tait.

Looking at our regular starters we have the following out of contract at the end of the season:

Musonda   
Hendry   
Matthews   
Armstrong   
Duku

There is a lot of quality there that would be tough to replace (added to Ethan Ross loan ending). I know that there will be interest in all of these players given our start and it is only natural some of them will move on to bigger clubs but it would be a big boost if we could get at least 2/3 tied down for another year.

Also, massive credit to McGlynn on his summer recruitment. Doubts over Lars/Ugwu still but the 5 players he has brought into the starting line up have been excellent so far. Crazy to think if Anton Dowds hadn’t turned us down to score 2 in 14 at Falkirk, we may not have actually signed Manny Duku (9 in 10). Another bit of luck similar to Rory Loy/Kevin Nisbet a couple of seasons ago. 

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I have always expected Hendry to move on after this season. He has been excellent and has definitely earned a step up in his career. Would love to see a couple of extensions signed soon following up on the excellent work with Dylan Tait.

Looking at our regular starters we have the following out of contract at the end of the season:

Musonda   
Hendry   
Matthews   
Armstrong   
Duku

There is a lot of quality there that would be tough to replace (added to Ethan Ross loan ending). I know that there will be interest in all of these players given our start and it is only natural some of them will move on to bigger clubs but it would be a big boost if we could get at least 2/3 tied down for another year.

Also, massive credit to McGlynn on his summer recruitment. Doubts over Lars/Ugwu still but the 5 players he has brought into the starting line up have been excellent so far. Crazy to think if Anton Dowds hadn’t turned us down to score 2 in 14 at Falkirk, we may not have actually signed Manny Duku (9 in 10). Another bit of luck similar to Rory Loy/Kevin Nisbet a couple of seasons ago. 

mr burns GIF

Out of contract eh, well well well. Another group of profits, i mean players. 
Nisbet for 5k, you fools. Hibs will sell him for five million.

6 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Musonda   
Hendry   
Matthews   
Armstrong   
Duku

Frankie, will be gone, probably no incentive to sign an extension, but we can hope. We have McKay to replace him, which shouldn’t be a huge step down.

Hendry, will be gone, might sign out of loyalty, but has honestly already done enough for us. No easy replacement, time to start letting some others get playing time.

Matthews, tough call. Not sure he’s an option for a move up a league, and unlikely any team with money would be willing to sign him before the summer as they already have starters at his level. Can probably retain him.

Armstrong, nice utility player, but is there demand for him and can he deliver? Can probably retain him.

Duku, no brain signing by either an English League One or Two team, or perhaps even a Scottish Premiership team or Championship team with funds. We have Smith, Mahady and possibly Ugwu.

Biggest elephant  the room is Tait. Vaughan fills a similar role on the left vs the right (despite being listed as a CF versus AM), with better scoring, and is likely to be retained (if healthy) as few teams would risk it yet. That would replace Ross, and Coulson also plays that wing. So Ross may see less time going forward after January if Vaughan shows he can come back.  Tait’s loss is less severe going forward, if Arnott can fit in there, and develop while Vaughan draws attention...so we should hope to see him playing soon.

I make that 25 goals in 7 games on astroturf this season compared to 3 goals in 5 games on grass.

Do we need to find another way of playing on grass when bobbly pitches don’t let us move the ball as quick? Or is it purely down to the standard of opposition we have played on grass being better?

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Frankie, will be gone, probably no incentive to sign an extension, but we can hope. We have McKay to replace him, which shouldn’t be a huge step down.

Hendry, will be gone, might sign out of loyalty, but has honestly already done enough for us. No easy replacement, time to start letting some others get playing time.

Matthews, tough call. Not sure he’s an option for a move up a league, and unlikely any team with money would be willing to sign him before the summer as they already have starters at his level. Can probably retain him.

Armstrong, nice utility player, but is there demand for him and can he deliver? Can probably retain him.

Duku, no brain signing by either an English League One or Two team, or perhaps even a Scottish Premiership team or Championship team with funds. We have Smith, Mahady and possibly Ugwu.

Biggest elephant  the room is Tait. Vaughan fills a similar role on the left vs the right (despite being listed as a CF versus AM), with better scoring, and is likely to be retained (if healthy) as few teams would risk it yet. That would replace Ross, and Coulson also plays that wing. So Ross may see less time going forward after January if Vaughan shows he can come back.  Tait’s loss is less severe going forward, if Arnott can fit in there, and develop while Vaughan draws attention...so we should hope to see him playing soon.

Wow we have Smith, Mahady and Ugwu to replace Duku should he leave. Smith a player that cant get game time because he's constantly injured, Mahady a 16 yr old youth and Ugwu who is completely untested at this level.

Armstrong is a little better than a nice utility player, he and Ross are our most creative, dangerous players. 

Frankie strolls the games, wouldn't say McKay will do that on his return. 

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

You slaver some pish in a day 🤨

Club statement on a member of the playing staff.
https://www.raithrovers.net/46014/club-statement-8.htm

KMac back in time for the Pars match, that’s fine. Was he not carrying a wee injury anyway, hamstring related - or am I talking pish?! Could be ideal that he’ll having a break. Personal side, I’m sure it’s shite though, not interacting with any family over Xmas