The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

But on the other hand, you could say you were lucky to buy a player with such a poor record for him to then do you a very good turn for a season. 

I don't think anyone saw that coming. 

Would’ve been some scenario if we never got nisbet. We’d be playing in the championship atm and Dunfermline would’ve been relegated last season 😁

9 hours ago, grumswall said:

Negotiating a deal including such a clause (in hindsight) was a mistake, even if it was a necessity at the time.

Was it not a case of no release clause, no signature though?

That being the case, run by me what we could have done differently - with hindsight - to secure Nisbet on a contract for the next season?

That being the case, run by me what we could have done differently - with hindsight - to secure Nisbet on a contract for the next season?
Knowing what we now know we would have signed him on a two year deal originally which he most likely would have signed. All ifs and buts and this is all a bit pointless in fairness.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
5 hours ago, Sweaty Morph said:

Knowing what we now know we would have signed him on a two year deal originally which he most likely would have signed. All ifs and buts and this is all a bit pointless in fairness.

100% this because we were in no financial position to make that a two-year contract...and it damn near paid off anyway.

Strange way of looking at things, but I think that ballsing up our attempts at getting out of League 1 is the best thing that could have happened to us. 

If we had won the league under Smith, we would have tried to shitfest our way to safety the following season. Similarly, if Mcglynn had somehow got that squad up the following season, we would have been approaching things a bit differently. 

Last season let Mcglynn build a squad and bleed in youngsters like Bowie and Tait. One has paid dividends financially and one surely will in time. Also allowed him to completely change the make up of the squad, bringing in hungry young players, some experienced lower league players and some genuine quality.  We started playing some really nice football last season, which we are building on this time around. 

I genuinely feel that the way we approached last season will lay down foundations for the seasons to come. The challenge will be what to do when the likes of Hendry move on, of course. 

Long way to go, but as Paul Smith said in the interview yesterday, we've come a long way in 2 years. Yesterday we were dissapointed not to beat one of the form teams in Scottish football. This time 2 years ago we were beaten 3-2 away to Montrose with a typical lazy shitehawk performance. 

Edited by CALDERON

Dylan Tait signing until 2024 is fantastic from the club and even better from the player. 

I don't think many of us expect him to be at our level for much longer but his signature will hopefully help us financially when the inevitable occurs. 

Hopefully Regan Hendry will follow suit as I'm sure he is free to talk to clubs from January with his contract expiring at the end of the season. 

Like Nisbet though, his career will be his first priority so I hope there isn't the same level of abuse directed at him if he feels that he'll progress better elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Strange way of looking at things, but I think that ballsing up our attempts at getting out of League 1 is the best thing that could have happened to us. 

If we had won the league under Smith, we would have tried to shitfest our way to safety the following season. Similarly, if Mcglynn had somehow got that squad up the following season, we would have been approaching things a bit differently. 

Last season let Mcglynn build a squad and bleed in youngsters like Bowie and Tait. One has paid dividends financially and one surely will in time. Also allowed him to completely change the make up of the squad, bringing in hungry young players, some experienced lower league players and some genuine quality.  We started playing some really nice football last season, which we are building on this time around. 

I genuinely feel that the way we approached last season will lay down foundations for the seasons to come. The challenge will be what to do when the likes of Hendry move on, of course. 

Long way to go, but as Paul Smith said in the interview yesterday, we've come a long way in 2 years. Yesterday we were dissapointed not to beat one of the form teams in Scottish football. This time 2 years ago we were beaten 3-2 away to Montrose with a typical lazy shitehawk performance. 

This. Sometimes the huge disappointments come with a silver lining. McGlynn and Paul Smith are that silver lining. With hindsight, we are in far better shape on and off the field than we would probably have been had we beaten Alloa on the last day of the season. 

Edited by roverthemoon

Starting to feel like the rest of December is going to be crucial to where the side ends up this season. We have Ayr, Alloa and Queens and would be great to keep the momentum going across those three fixtures. January is looking really tough with the Pars, Dundee, Inverness and Hearts twice. Those will be a real test so would be nice to have built up an advantage over the sides nearer the bottom as we head into 2021

34 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'm surprised, he looked to be one of our better forwards at the start of the season

He started his first two matches and, poor first 45 minutes at Dundee aside, he did well enough, with us winning the second game 5-0.

He was unfortunate to then be cup tied for the two League Cup group matches by which time our first choice striker Duku had come back from injury and was scoring goals again. 

Since then he's had a couple of sub appearances and not made much of an impact. I wouldn't mind seeing him up front alongside Duku but that's not the system we're playing. Unless Duku is unavailable I can't see him getting into the starting line up. 

19 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He started his first two matches and, poor first 45 minutes at Dundee aside, he did well enough, with us winning the second game 5-0.

He was unfortunate to then be cup tied for the two League Cup group matches by which time our first choice striker Duku had come back from injury and was scoring goals again. 

Since then he's had a couple of sub appearances and not made much of an impact. I wouldn't mind seeing him up front alongside Duku but that's not the system we're playing. Unless Duku is unavailable I can't see him getting into the starting line up. 

Can’t disagree with this, but the first “bad” half was also just two days after joining the team. He shows promise, but his first touch has been a bit poor so far. What he does have is a positional sense that leaves him sitting in the perfect spot very often and that will certainly pay off as the season progresses, if he gets playing time. Watching his (limited) play, he seems to have a solid pitcher mentality, and pretty decent on the ball skills.

Would very much like to see a Loko and Duku partnership tried out, but Ross has probably put paid to that hope with his solid play on the wings.

Already been covered off in here, cheers Hank, but I have it on good authority that A View From The Terrace’s piece with Lewis Vaughan is very good.

There’s also a feature on Wick Academy which might bring back memories for anyone that made the journey up a few years back.

Also, if anyone has seen one of the pictures that’s been released for the show, I’m not wearing flares, it’s just a weird shadow.

Anyway, It’s on at 10:30pm tonight on the BBC Scotland channel, just 30 minutes after we’ve hopefully gubbed Ayr.

Cheers!