The New Raith Rovers Thread

That is excellent business. Assuming he keeps developing and stays injury free there is no way he will still be here in 3 and a half years at the end of this new deal.

However, we are now in a very strong position to get a good deal for the club when he goes. Great to see the club has learned its lesson from the Bates fiasco with the way they have handled Bowie and Tait.

If we could somehow get Hendry to agree to an extension next...

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
2 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:
Hopefully there isn’t a Nisbet type clause in there, that allows him to move for nothing, even though he’s under contract.

Hopefully the club has learned from that mistake.

It wasn't a mistake. That clause was the only way Nisbet would've signed that contract. 

40 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It wasn't a mistake. That clause was the only way Nisbet would've signed that contract. 

Imagine  if Barry Smith had handed out a 2 year contract on Nisbet given his then record... the sheer seethe that would have generated.

7 minutes ago, grumswall said:

It evidently was a mistake. Hindsight is a tremendous thing though.

When he rocked up to Starks it would have been a brave manager that handed out a 2 year deal to a guy who's career high at that point was being the first footballer to put a penalty kick into geosynchronous orbit.

After it turned out he was decent, I think we did out best to get first refusal on the basis of going up. No way he was signing anything that handed Rovers any type of veto on his next move.

When he rocked up to Starks it would have been a brave manager that handed out a 2 year deal to a guy who's career high at that point was being the first footballer to put a penalty kick into geosynchronous orbit.
After it turned out he was decent, I think we did out best to get first refusal on the basis of going up. No way he was signing anything that handed Rovers any type of veto on his next move.
Undoubtedly. I'm not questioning any of that. Like I said hindsight is a tremendous thing. It is a mistake looking back at it

Pretty much agreed with everything, everyone has said. My entire point is with hindsight, mistakes were made. Not signing him up to a longer deal initially was a mistake, in hindsight. Negotiating a deal including such a clause (in hindsight) was a mistake, even if it was a necessity at the time. I'm not bashing whoever made the deals. I'm bashing our luck more than anything.

9 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Hopefully there isn’t a Nisbet type clause in there, that allows him to move for nothing, even though he’s under contract.

I suspect that there have been some enquires and this action is both Dylan’s way to thank the Rovers and a way for him to get some assurance.

I once witnessed Eamonn Bannon (for Hearts) blast a spot kick over the keeper, over the bar, over the crowd and OUT the ground. Fabulously funny. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

5 hours ago, grumswall said:

Pretty much agreed with everything, everyone has said. My entire point is with hindsight, mistakes were made. Not signing him up to a longer deal initially was a mistake, in hindsight. Negotiating a deal including such a clause (in hindsight) was a mistake, even if it was a necessity at the time. I'm not bashing whoever made the deals. I'm bashing our luck more than anything.

But on the other hand, you could say you were lucky to buy a player with such a poor record for him to then do you a very good turn for a season. 

I don't think anyone saw that coming.