The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Genuinely surprised that anyone likes the group stages, but can see the financial argument for games and revenue. I’m guessing that’s why it was changed much like the two legged play off final. The extra game and match income trumps the increased potential for drama and excitement. 

To me it just takes away what is great about cup football - the chance for shocks. The bigger teams will 9 times out of 10 progress so you’re left with the final rounds of the League Cup being the same old mix of top tier teams. Yes it brings more income but what are lower league fans going to remember in twenty years time? The two matches against higher league clubs that boosted their income one season or the night they beat Hibs on penalties in a straight knock-out match. There’s no contest.

I go back to last night. After we both lost to Hearts the penalty shoot-out was reduced to who could be the better also-ran in the group. If that was a knock-out game the players would have went daft at the end and we’d still be reminiscing about it in ten years time. 

I agree with you. The League Cup in its current groups stage format just doesn’t do it for me. In a normal season these group games have the feel of pre-season friendlies. Even the Challenge Cup has more allure for me these days.

5 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

It's generally been seeded I think - we were memorably unseeded while holders. That was why we got Celtic again in an early round: Rougier scored the free kick that wasn't filmed, and we lost after kicking the ball out for an injured Celtic player - they kept possession and scored.

That was some night. Rougier’s equaliser was magnificent. The incident you mentioned still irritates although to be fair they did actually give us back possession. They just gave us it back down in our corner and pressed us immediately so we lost the ball, from which they scored. Still convinced if we’d got them to penalties they would have choked. 

I agree with you. The League Cup in its current groups stage format just doesn’t do it for me. In a normal season these group games have the feel of pre-season friendlies. Even the Challenge Cup has more allure for me these days.

The challenge cup is only interesting from the quarters on, once all the Colts are out and then it’s got that real competition factor about it. Also in the hope (pre Covid) that we got Wrexham away.

9 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

The challenge cup is only interesting from the quarters on, once all the Colts are out and then it’s got that real competition factor about it. Also in the hope (pre Covid) that we got Wrexham away.

Agreed.

In the League Cup we never get far anymore as we can’t negotiate the group stages, so it’s less interesting to me. 

The Scottish Cup is the only cup I really care about anymore, given I’ve never seen us win it.

Edited by Scary Bear

That was some night. Rougier’s equaliser was magnificent. The incident you mentioned still irritates although to be fair they did actually give us back possession. They just gave us it back down in our corner and pressed us immediately so we lost the ball, from which they scored. Still convinced if we’d got them to penalties they would have choked. 

I thought they kicked it out for a throw in, down in our corner flag. I’ve always hated the ‘kicking it out for an opposition player to receive treatment’. Let the referee stop the game!

33 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I thought they kicked it out for a throw in, down in our corner flag. I’ve always hated the ‘kicking it out for an opposition player to receive treatment’. Let the referee stop the game!

I believe they did, IIRC the ball was thrown in to Van Donky honk (sp) who took it to close to the Rovers corner before kicking it out to return possession to the Rovers, the defence then were put under severe pressure until they coughed up possession back to Celtic who then scored.

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Agreed.

In the League Cup we never get far anymore as we can’t negotiate the group stages, so it’s less interesting to me. 

The Scottish Cup is the only cup I really care about anymore, given I’ve never seen us win it.

You're not alone.

You and every other supporter there has ever been since 1883. ☹️

Was having a look at the League Cup groups earlier, and by my reckoning we need to beat Cowdenbeath by a decent margin, then need at least three out of four other results to go for us.

Peterhead to lose to St Johnstone, Alloa not to win against Stenny, Ayr not to win against Stranraer and Arbroath not to beat Elgin.

So aye, that’s pretty much that unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We need to swing at least plus five goals.

Six I think.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Was having a look at the League Cup groups earlier, and by my reckoning we need to beat Cowdenbeath by a decent margin, then need at least three out of four other results to go for us.

Peterhead to lose to St Johnstone, Alloa not to win against Stenny, Ayr not to win against Stranraer and Arbroath not to beat Elgin.

So aye, that’s pretty much that unfortunately.

Unless I'm mistaken a Stranraer win means they'd be on 9 points too. That said does it matter? Isn't this the one group where we can beat second place total of 7 (Annan) if we win at Central Park.

The way I see it we have an outside 1 in 4 (or 5) chance of getting through.

Groups B  & E points totals cannot be surpasssed.

Of the 5 others groups the best we can hope for fortunate results (draws) aside is un-answered goals is the key:

Group C, Beat Cowden by 6+, result between Peterhead v St Johnston becomes irrelevant. (Unlikely)

Group D anything other than a draw between Arbroath v Elgin and we would likely finish at least 1 point behind 2nd place . Mind you a heavy defeat at home for County by Stirling would do it too.  (highly unlikely)

Group F,  A draw at Somerset would see 3 sides on 7 points, even a win for Ayr or Stranraer would be ok as 2nd place would be on 7 points.

Group G,   Partick v Morton, a draw would be ideal. Alternatively we  need to score 3 more than Morton or 1 more than Partick. you'd doubt Queens Park will be St Mirren but who knows. (50/50)

Group H, Anything other than an Alloa win and we are ok. (Highly unlikely)

My prediction is that Both Arbroath and Alloa will both win to take the last 2 places (deposing Dundee Utd) and joining Falkirk and Dundee/Hibs as best 2nd placed teams.

Unless I'm mistaken a Stranraer win means they'd be on 9 points too. That said does it matter? Isn't this the one group where we can beat second place total of 7 (Annan) if we win at Central Park.
The way I see it we have an outside 1 in 4 (or 5) chance of getting through.
Groups B  & E points totals cannot be surpasssed.
Of the 5 others groups the best we can hope for fortunate results (draws) aside is un-answered goals is the key:
Group C, Beat Cowden by 6+, result between Peterhead v St Johnston becomes irrelevant. (Unlikely)
Group D anything other than a draw between Arbroath v Elgin and we would likely finish at least 1 point behind 2nd place . Mind you a heavy defeat at home for County by Stirling would do it too.  (highly unlikely)
Group F,  A draw at Somerset would see 3 sides on 7 points, even a win for Ayr or Stranraer would be ok as 2nd place would be on 7 points.
Group G,   Partick v Morton, a draw would be ideal. Alternatively we  need to score 3 more than Morton or 1 more than Partick. you'd doubt Queens Park will be St Mirren but who knows. (50/50)
Group H, Anything other than an Alloa win and we are ok. (Highly unlikely)
My prediction is that Both Arbroath and Alloa will both win to take the last 2 places (deposing Dundee Utd) and joining Falkirk and Dundee/Hibs as best 2nd placed teams.

There's such a thing as too much analysis.

18 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
32 minutes ago, Scottydog said:
Unless I'm mistaken ...........

There's such a thing as too much analysis.

I could simply have said we're done for but I was always told to show my working in case my answer was wrong....which it probably still  is.

Edited by Scottydog