The New Raith Rovers Thread

An interesting start to this season, injuries and all.

Keeper:

JMac is a keeper as a keeper...a couple of huge saves these two weeks and I wouldn’t blame him for the goals conceded.

Thomson is a pretty known quantity, but (in my mind), a step down from JMac), Bow is an emergency keeper for when the emergency keeper gets hurt, and McGurn is the emergency keeper.

Back line:

KMac looks good, but we have no ready backup and he’s already nicked...we’ll see how bad.

Tumilty looks solid and a good threat. Sometimes a little behind the play, but a nice passer and crosser, plus a threat in the box.

Bene and Davo are both coping, but look a bit off the pace at this level...will need to be no more than backups by next year if we stay here.

Mendy shows huge improvement, but we haven’t seen him at length yet. Great motor and size, positioning improved, seems much more mentally up to speed with the game.

Musonda we’ve not really seen enough of either, and that was partially out of position. Looks solid enough so far, big lad that should help on crosses and such.

Middle:

Armstrong, Hendry and Matthews all looking comfortable at this level and controlling matches.

Spencer seems a little off the pace, but hasn’t had much opportunity.

Tait is a rising star, hope we can either keep him or really cash in big...preferably the former.

Ross looked quite promising, hope it isn’t a serious injury.

Coulson is young and we haven’t seen him much, and not at all at this level. One to build up slowly, and can only benefit from being around these others. Arnott is a complete enigma.

Forwards:

Vaughan, we all know how good he is. Looked OK in his recent cameo, but don’t rush him back to full time play.

Duku, looks like a diamond. Needs to improve his finishing and first touch, but it was 100% his play in controlling the ball that led to the opening score, a thing of beauty.

Smith, Mahady and Ugwu we don’t have any real idea yet, but if Ugwu can do even half of what Duku has done out of the box, he could be quite good.

Needs:

We need coverage at LB, someone with experience and quality. Ideally could play RB too.

An SAndo like signing at CB wouldn’t go amiss either, support to Bene and Davo and mentoring to Mendy and Musonda. It wouldn’t completely surprise me if we ended the season with FM stereo as our first choice as a CB pairing, not saying it’s likely, but Bene and Davo have looked a bit vulnerable in two matches against teams that are likely in the bottom half of the league.

An experienced reserve winger type to replace GAndo wouldn’t go amiss...especially if they can work at FB in a pinch.

Edited by TxRover

I think we have options at the back either a 3/5 or a flat 4 which is a miracle after recent seasons where the squad was weaker, definetly need to find cover for left back.

Midfield is strong as expected and will hurt a lot of teams this year both creatively and protecting the defenders.

I do wonder of Vaughan will be used sparingly and anywhere with a ropey pitch will be skipped completely.

Sadly don’t think there is a way to listen back but there were a couple of really good interviews with Ross Matthews & Frankie Musonda and Steven MacDonald today on the K107 pre match sports show.

Edit to say you can indeed listen again from 8PM!

48 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

Yasss! That was positive today, I think we could definitely get top 5 this season, we just need to keep everyone fit and we could definitely have a great season

You must be relieved after all your chat in the QoS thread.... 

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The SPFL looking for a second bite of the apple:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54661323

Most interesting part was the bit about asking teams how many games needed to be played for a “valid” season.

End it now and declare standings final. Restructure it to 3 x 14 so no relegations. 

Didn’t post prior for fear of jinxing but I was quietly thinking we would win by a couple today - and could have scored 4/5 by half time. Think we will surprise a fair few teams with our midfield quality. Good performance on the whole bar 15 mins after half time. Call the leagues? 

Patronising thumbs up to the Wee team. Impressive start.

I’m finding it pretty bittersweet. On the back of two pretty stonking wins in normal times the prospect of a big day out in Dundee next week would have me almost fully erect. Obviously it’s great to be winning, and winning well but it’s really hard to feel a part of it watching on from the sofa at home, alone.