The New Raith Rovers Thread

I see Jamie Watson has signed for Spartans. I wonder if Covid has scuppered his move abroad or if it's just a temporary thing. 
It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at that level. While he wasn't ever a standout in League One, I don't think he was out of place either. 

Someone on twitter said he is doing his first year online and then going out for his 2nd year.

4 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I see Jamie Watson has signed for Spartans. I wonder if Covid has scuppered his move abroad or if it's just a temporary thing. 

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at that level. While he wasn't ever a standout in League One, I don't think he was out of place either. 

Never really got a real run of chances in a consistent position last year, but was a useful jack of all trades. Should do quite well for Spartans.

11 hours ago, renton said:

"I had intended to be part of that process..."

Hmmm.

I know Paul Smith could just be telling us what he wants us to hear but he seems to speak quite openly and frankly about it in his pre match interview.

Grant wasn’t happy with his playing time and thought he’d be playing a bigger part. John and Paul obviously didn’t seem him getting the game time he wanted so agreed to let him move on. Not sure there is much more to it, certainly hope not anyway. Although you would have thought his playing time would have been discussed when renewing his contract.

Hopefully his wage will have freed up enough to bring in another loan player although I am not sure at this stage what would be the priority position to strengthen. 

I’d say Grants leaving will definitely be mutual agreement, he’s probably heard Kelty we’re interested and would offer him a starting 11 position. Discussed with JMc and PS who can’t offer the same to him. Rovers may feel they have enough cover and let Grant go to get him off the books or they’ve another player in mind and Grant just wants to play more football than he’ll get here at Starks. I wish Grant all the best, been a good servant to the club over the years and it’s a shame we can’t say goodbye. Maybe we’ll get to see him play for Kelty against us once crowds return, would be nice to give the lad a round of applause.

Said on twitter, but Grant's presence was felt the season after his release. We missed his work ethic and determination - he never hid on the pitch even if he had a poor performance. He wasn't the best winger in the league and had some areas where he could've improved but you'd never see the spinelessness of the likes of Chris Johnstone or Scott Roberts with him. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would guess he thought he'd have a reasonable part to play but with Ethan Ross joining he was going to struggle to get a game anywhere out wide so it would be hard to see him getting more than the odd 5 or 10 minutes here and there. 

May well have been the key move that started the dominos. Paul and John have worked with Kelty (Mendy) and, given the Kelty news mention of this being the end of a week long process, may have reached out to them or encouraged GAndo to reach out to them. Certainly seems he’d have the quality plus for that level, and Kelty have a little backing too.

1 minute ago, mealsonwheels said:

How was mendy when he came on?

Tell you what Mcglynn is a fkin genius. He finds some gems and polishes them up.

Also the youth players coming through to the first team are on par with what we had in the early 90s!

He was alright. Didn't make any real mistakes which is as much as you could ask for given what he was like last season. 

I wouldn't fancy him playing 90 minutes but it looks like we might be able to rely on him in situations like this. 

Just now, pub car king said:

How was big frankie in the second half? 

Manny Duku is goingbto cause havoc this season.

He was fine for being out of position, though we struggled having lost our whole left side in 45 mins.

I tell you what though, our midfield is fantastic: Really quick and aggressive into the press, then forward in numbers when we have the ball... Dylan Tait just keeps getting better as well. Good goal today but for me the assist for the first was the highlight. Beautifully weighted.