The New Raith Rovers Thread

45 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If there's one thing about Anderson leaving that can be celebrated, it's that we'll never see the term GAndo used again.

GAndo and SAndo RIP. We’ll always have the League 1 trophy 🏆 win.

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The people who used those nicknames are to blame for both Andersons leaving, if you ask me. 

Don’t worry, I’ve moved on to JMac and KMac...if they leave next year, I’ll take the heat!

What the hell happened with Tommy McLean back in the 90s? Popped into my head the other day that I remember in the papers at the time he was there for less than a week before going to Dundee United? 

Yeah pretty much! Took the job with us, was here for one game (a heavy loss at home to Aberdeen). Dundee United then sacked their manager and Wee Jim came in for him. His first game for United was back at starks park and we won with a last minute goal!

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

What the hell happened with Tommy McLean back in the 90s? Popped into my head the other day that I remember in the papers at the time he was there for less than a week before going to Dundee United? 

In for one game yeah, pumped by Motherwell, went to United where his brother would have been chairman I think?  His first game with them was - obviously - back at Stark's. Naturally he got unrivalled pelters, and beat.

Rest of our season was dire though

Worst manager in our history.

Lost every game.

Conceded an average of three goals.

Scored no goals.

Even Claude Anelka managed to get a point I think.

1 hour ago, Gregor147 said:

Worst manager in our history.

Lost every game.

Conceded an average of three goals.

Scored no goals.

Even Claude Anelka managed to get a point I think.

I'd put that single point at Airdrie more down to John Hollins's influence than anything Clod did in his tenure.

Former Chelsea player and manager JH arrived at SP on the Thursday, coached the team Thursday, Friday, and during the game on the Sat at The Shyberry Excelcior, during which the Rovers actually looked much improved.  During that 72hrs he obviously Listened to what Claude Le Fraud had to say about football and promptly resigned the following week. Upon which normal services were resumed!

My memory differs on a couple of points - I think John Hollins was around for a bit more than one game; maybe more like a month. Sure I remember him being at McDiarmid Park during that run, at least.

Also I think I'm right in saying that game at Stark's was actually Tommy McLean's *second* game as Dundee United manager. But I am pleased to confirm that we did indeed win, easily the most enjoyable moment in a pretty shit season.

Add me to the Grant Anderson fan club - pity we'll not see him again, but wish him all the best.

33 minutes ago, Stelios said:

McLean was in charge for the game against Aberdeen which we lost 4-1

we beat United home and away that year. The home match was our first win and points Of the season.

... ah, the railway stand. Breaks your heart.