The New Raith Rovers Thread

I wouldn't have kept him for the season, personally, but unless there is another player lined up this doesn't make much sense. We aren't blessed for cover and there will be the inevitable injuries which will trouble us. 

Sad to see him go - a dedicated player and that header against Hibs will always be remembered fondly. 

I wouldn't have kept him for the season, personally, but unless there is another player lined up this doesn't make much sense. We aren't blessed for cover and there will be the inevitable injuries which will trouble us. 
Sad to see him go - a dedicated player and that header against Hibs will always be remembered fondly. 

I’d be surprised if we don’t sign a winger in the next day. I doubt we’d have let him go otherwise.

11 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

I’d be surprised if we don’t sign a winger in the next day. I doubt we’d have let him go otherwise.

I dunno, on the other hand you could say that on most weeks - if you assumed the same starting eleven as last week - to have Ugwu, Vaughan and Smith on the bench, as well as Spencer who while not strictly an attacking player could be used to allow Tait to play further forward if required.

That feels like a good number of options since Vaughan could play in a forward two or behind a number 9 in either the number 10 or cutting inside from the wing. Assuming he stays fit.

I suppose the fact that Tait seemed to be preferred to play alongside Duku against Hearts instead of Anderson who surely was the more natural second striker may have made his mind up for him...

Edited by renton

6 minutes ago, renton said:

I dunno, on the other hand you could say that on most weeks - if you assumed the same starting eleven as last week - to have Ugwu, Vaughan and Smith on the bench, as well as Spencer who while not strictly an attacking player could be used to allow Tait to play further forward if required.

That feels like a good number of options since Vaughan could play in a forward two or behind a number 9 in either the number 10 or cutting inside from the wing. Assuming he stays fit.

I suppose the fact that Tait seemed to be preferred to play alongside Duku against Hearts instead of Anderson who surely was the more natural second striker may have made his mind up for him...

I suspect this might well be the case. I think when Vaughan was first starting with Grant Murray, he was more of an attacking midfielder who was then converted into a forward. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

I was surprised we kept him around, and I genuinely didn't think he'd be quite up to it, yet I am really quite miserable to see him go.

Just one of those guys that fans will always love for his sheer effort. Helped that he scored some absolute belters in his time.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Agree with both these posts. It's a bit strange given that he only recently signed a new deal but if we are going to be mainly playing with the one up front with 3 in behind then I think he'd have been restricted to 10 minute cameos at best. 

Good luck to him, just a shame he's ended up at that mob. 

49 minutes ago, renton said:

Is modern-day Anderson not more the Duku than the Tait in that equation? It was in the final minutes, but that's the role he went into when he came on against Arbroath. 

I don't know enough about Ugwu or Mahady to say how they'll fit in, but we don't really have an alternative "big man". If we are going to replace Anderson, and I wouldn't say that's a given, I'd expect another striker rather than another attacking midfielder/winger. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

8 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Is modern-day Anderson not more the Duku than the Tait in that equation? It was in the final minutes, but that's the role he went into when he came on against Arbroath. 

I don't know enough about Ugwu or Mahady to say how they'll fit in, but we don't really have an alternative "big man". If we are going to replace Anderson, and I wouldn't say that's a given, I'd expect another striker rather than another attacking midfielder/winger. 

I guess my point was that when the decision was made to play two forwards we seemed to think Tait would be more use than Anderson. 

And yeah, we haven't seen enough of Ugwu, but at 6'1 he's probably destined to rotate with Duku in that number 9 position at the very least.