The New Raith Rovers Thread

I thought the main stand was grade 2 on account of its L shape?

What architectural relevance is Balwearie? I thought it was a standard 1960s school building which is probably showing its age by now. It definetly was 25 years ago when I was last there.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

What architectural relevance is Balwearie? I thought it was a standard 1960s school building which is probably showing its age by now. It definetly was 25 years ago when I was last there.

I had to look up listed buildings in the area too...and thought the exact same thing.

https://www.fife.gov.uk/kb/docs/articles/planning-and-building2/built-and-natural-heritage/listed-buildings

21 Pratt Street (category C) is the manse for the former Invertiel Church, the Viaduct and the School are both B’s. The school was listed in 2014 for the following reason:

Balwearie High School (1960-64) is among the very best examples of school building of the post-war building period in Scotland, closely following Modernist design principles and marking a clear break from the more formal designs of the inter-war period and 1950s. The design is distinguished by its close attention to architectural detail, making use of Modernist architectural devices including concrete pilotis supporting the main concrete superstructure with its glazed curtain walls. There are elevated walkways and linking corridors; angular projections and glazed cut-outs; roof-top classrooms and a nautical theme running through the design detail, all adding to its period interest. The building uses modern materials throughout to excellent design effect, particularly within the context of the budgetary constraints associated with publically funded school building programmes of the period. The centralised plan and linked blocks are articulated in response to its site and orientation. It is a forerunner to the megastructural approach to architecture that would find increasing favour in 1970s architecture.

On 27/09/2020 at 20:42, Axle Grease said:

Is that corner stand at Starks a listed building? 

No, but it should be in my book as it was designed by the Scottish architect Archibald Leitch, along with many others throughout  the land, many which have been now changed beyond all recognition with the modern stadia changes/improvements, e.g. Tynecastle, White Hart Lane, Bramall Lane.

Edited by embow

6 minutes ago, embow said:

No, but it should be in my book as it was designed by the Scottish architect Archibald Leitch, along with many others throughout  the land, many which have been now changed beyond all recognition with the modern stadia changes/improvements.

The only issue there would be the handicap such a designation might place on any changes or development at SP. I’d hate to see the Main Stand significantly changed, but with a Listing, even minor things can be problematical.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support/listing-scheduling-and-designations/listed-buildings/search-for-a-listed-building/

if you want to check on listed buildings. Click on the wee pink or blue circles and you can find out about the listed buildings and why they are listed.

24D20D85-8053-48A1-86EA-CF3CF7D63177.png

Edited by Scary Bear

On 28/09/2020 at 14:04, shahoorsir said:

Balwearie is listed because it was designed to look like an ocean liner apparently! Inverkeithing High is also listed as it was designed to look like a tractor from the sky. It’s absolutely bizarre.

http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52202

40A9F004-E9F1-4558-9613-4C814BCC54C3.png

On 28/09/2020 at 16:24, TxRover said:

I had to look up listed buildings in the area too...and thought the exact same thing.

https://www.fife.gov.uk/kb/docs/articles/planning-and-building2/built-and-natural-heritage/listed-buildings

21 Pratt Street (category C) is the manse for the former Invertiel Church, the Viaduct and the School are both B’s. The school was listed in 2014 for the following reason:

Balwearie High School (1960-64) is among the very best examples of school building of the post-war building period in Scotland, closely following Modernist design principles and marking a clear break from the more formal designs of the inter-war period and 1950s. The design is distinguished by its close attention to architectural detail, making use of Modernist architectural devices including concrete pilotis supporting the main concrete superstructure with its glazed curtain walls. There are elevated walkways and linking corridors; angular projections and glazed cut-outs; roof-top classrooms and a nautical theme running through the design detail, all adding to its period interest. The building uses modern materials throughout to excellent design effect, particularly within the context of the budgetary constraints associated with publically funded school building programmes of the period. The centralised plan and linked blocks are articulated in response to its site and orientation. It is a forerunner to the megastructural approach to architecture that would find increasing favour in 1970s architecture.

Beat me to it.

On 28/09/2020 at 13:30, pub car king said:

Aye, and we’re stuck with it now.

2 hours ago, embow said:

No, but it should be in my book as it was designed by the Scottish architect Archibald Leitch, along with many others throughout  the land, many which have been now changed beyond all recognition with the modern stadia changes/improvements, e.g. Tynecastle, White Hart Lane, Bramall Lane.

The stands a dump it offers nothing for fans, limited viewing with pillars uncomfortable seating and facilities underneath or behind that provide limited income to the club. If we ever had the money I would knock it down bring the entire stand up to the pitch line, provide corporate facilities with boxes etc in a modern stand  and utilise the whole area for trying to increase income. Will not happen as we dont have the money though.

9 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

The stands a dump it offers nothing for fans, limited viewing with pillars uncomfortable seating and facilities underneath or behind that provide limited income to the club. If we ever had the money I would knock it down bring the entire stand up to the pitch line, provide corporate facilities with boxes etc in a modern stand  and utilise the whole area for trying to increase income. Will not happen as we dont have the money though.

That's the plan for the railway stand I believe, cant see us picking the main stand over the railway stand for refurbishment. Although it would be nice to see both of the stands refurbished. I am still hoping for a massive lottery win...

No one who has that sort of money is going to put it into a football club these days without some mahoosive quid pro quo. And it's the quid pro quo that does the damage. Look what Anelka et al did with much less.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

The Main Stand is very CoS; stark, plain, and uncomfortable. It’s also a huge part of RR history and heritage, and I wouldn’t want it knocked down. If we had the money I’d go with improvements on the north and south stands and redevelopment of the whole railway side. Add in some stuff around/in front of the Main Stand and keep it as a nod to the heritage. It’s not like we need the seating if we do the rest.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:
2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

No one who has that sort of money is going to put it into a football club these days without some mahoosive quid pro quo. And it's the quid pro quo that does the damage. Look what Anelka et al did with much less.

The exception would be a lottery winner with generous intent...too bad they are few and far between.

4 hours ago, grumswall said:

@TxRover you've not come across any unclaimed oil in texas then? Get looking!

They didn’t renew my gas lease, sorry...but I will commit 10% of any lottery winnings to the Rovers, for community ownership.

14 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Totally agree with this. 

Sentimentality shouldn't be counter-active to progression.