The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, renton said:

I suspect any judgements, based on audio only evidence from friendlies against mostly dross, is a tad premature.

Aye, pre-season games are a complete irrelevant as mention. If they could, I'd rather clubs would just agree to not publish results so folk don't start using them to get their hopes up/dreams dashed. It's all about fitness and ensuring players don't get injured. 

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Aye, pre-season games are a complete irrelevant as mention. If they could, I'd rather clubs would just agree to not publish results so folk don't start using them to get their hopes up/dreams dashed. It's all about fitness and ensuring players don't get injured. 

Aye, teams play plenty closed doors games you never hear about. It was just an excuse to make some extra money in the Summer. Can't blame them for that, but it did open clubs up to the kinds of bipolar hysterics that occur when some guy doesn't immediately make good, or scores a goal in a friendly.

Again, Gary Lockes pre season should warn against ever giving a shit about pre season. You learn absolutely zero. The only plus side about this situation is the fans aren't being charged to watch it.  For context, some people wanted Mcglynn sacked after Cove beat us in the cup last season.  

To be fair, we really shouldn’t look much into the first month of the season as well then if that season is anything to go by. As far as I remember, Gary Locke had a really good first month/6 weeks. Then we barely picked up a point between October and February.

What I can say after watching all the highlights etc though is I can’t fucking wait til the first competitive game of the season even though, it’ll just be watching the screen of my Laptop. It’s been far too long and I can’t wait for the feeling after a win or even the dreaded feeling after watching the Rovers get horsed 3-0 down at Ayr.

18 hours ago, Grant228 said:

If we're being serious for a second here (And to make it clear, Stella wasn't) then if you're going to be a big boy and banter someone about their club dying, you're not occupying the moral high ground where you can then start crying about getting some banter back about a player calling time in their career early. f**k up. 

I've ruptured my ACL (along with a f**k load of other shite in my knee) and know full well the difficulties of coming back from such an injury, if Vaughan can do it three times he's superhuman. I hope someone's been advising and helping him with a plan on the eventuality that he won't fulfil his early promise as a footballer, whether that be coaching badges or something outwith football. I still maintain playing him on that Forfar pitch so soon was at best, fucking ridiculously stupid. 

Firstly I have never mentioned once about any club dying so don’t generalise every Rover fan the same !  IMO it wasn’t banter that’s the beauty of being on a public forum your allowed to share your opinion or views and not once have I made it personal so your ok I’ve not climbed up to my moral high ground just yet

Edited by basher brash

11 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Again, Gary Lockes pre season should warn against ever giving a shit about pre season. You learn absolutely zero. 

Correct, and conversely pre season results and performances under Mckinnon were poor. 

I'm sure we got horsed by East Fife at Methil and David Bates was torn a new one. 

To be fair, we really shouldn’t look much into the first month of the season as well then if that season is anything to go by. As far as I remember, Gary Locke had a really good first month/6 weeks. Then we barely picked up a point between October and February.  What I can say after watching all the highlights etc though is I can’t fucking wait til the first competitive game of the season even though, it’ll just be watching the screen of my Laptop. It’s been far too long and I can’t wait for the feeling after a win or even the dreaded feeling after watching the Rovers get horsed 3-0 down at Ayr.

Nonsense particularly when there are only 27 matches to play. 4 early losses could have you stuck at the bottom come the Christmas matches. We must hit the ground running. The worrying thing is that we have yet to find our favoured defence . So far it's the same back three that leeked goals for fun in league one.  

Nonsense particularly when there are only 27 matches to play. 4 early losses could have you stuck at the bottom come the Christmas matches. We must hit the ground running.

Aye it’s absolutely vital that we start the league well for this very reason! And hopefully we’re roughly mid table or above, come the end of the first round of 9 games.

25 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Nonsense particularly when there are only 27 matches to play. 4 early losses could have you stuck at the bottom come the Christmas matches. We must hit the ground running. The worrying thing is that we have yet to find our favoured defence . So far it's the same back three that leeked goals for fun in league one.  

I think there's a very real difference between McGlynn knowing his best defence, and the defences he's playing in these friendlies. I think McGlynn might've said as much in this week's Review. 

I suppose the one big question mark is where Musonda fits in the pecking order, but we'll not get clarity on that until he's fit again. 

49 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I think one factor in our leakiness was the midfield combination from last year which often played a high pressing game which was good from an attacking point of view but often left us exposed when teams got round it. I suspect we will play a wee bit more cautious this season.

I think one factor in our leakiness was the midfield combination from last year which often played a high pressing game which was good from an attacking point of view but often left us exposed when teams got round it. I suspect we will play a wee bit more cautious this season.

I think so... coupled with the physical presence of some of the signings, might give an indication of how we are going to play.

17 hours ago, renton said:

The Queens fans must be enjoying the respite.

😊....At least THEY won't have to listen to .......................

(McKinnon)  " LISTEN, there are boys in that dressing room hurting,

we just needed a wee rub o' the green"........... BLAH, Blah....

Glad he has finally reached his level

That'll be that then.

Coronavirus – Joint Response Group Update

printer.png

Sunday September 27th 2020

The club received an update from the SPFL Joint Response Group on Thursday 23rd September, and would like to share the content with supporters:

SPFL-square-300x300.jpeg“The Joint Response Group (JRG) has held initial discussions on the implications for Scottish football of yesterday’s announcement that the return of supporters has been postponed and, consequently, that no further fan pilot events will be considered until the national outlook for Covid-19 improves significantly.

Significantly, the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing, Joe FitzPatrick MSP, has confirmed to us that he has written to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society seeking urgent discussions regarding a package of financial recovery for sport, accessible to Scotland.

The Minister also expressed the gratitude of the Scottish Government for the efforts that Scottish football has made in playing its part in the national effort to tackle the pandemic.
The JRG would like to put on record our thanks to all clubs who have played their part by adhering to the strictest measures to combat Covid-19, despite the enormous financial toll it has inflicted on them.

The game in Scotland depends on ticket revenue far more than the vast majority of professional leagues across Europe. We usually see over five million supporters per season attending Scottish league matches – with 43% of all revenue generated via gate receipts. The prospect of that vital income being lost for the majority of the season – far less in its entirety – could be catastrophic for many of our clubs.

We are committed to working with government to avert that crisis.

Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President and chair of the JRG, said: “We understand the challenges and decisions facing the Scottish Government and society as a whole and Scottish football will continue to play its part in helping the country overcome the pandemic.
“It is also incumbent on us to safeguard the futures of our football clubs, whilst at the same time respecting and adhering to public health guidelines. We welcome the correspondence from Scottish Government to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society and hope for a positive outcome for the national game and Scottish sport as whole.”

Neil Doncaster, CEO of the SPFL, commented: “We are engaging with the Scottish Government to underline the existential threat to many of our clubs, and to the huge community, economic and sporting benefits they deliver, if this grave situation continues without meaningful public financial support. We therefore welcome the intervention of the Scottish Government in seeking urgent discussions with the UK Government about a package of financial recovery for Scottish sport.”

That'll be that then.

Coronavirus – Joint Response Group Update

printer.png&key=c565dd40d3384fa6b8967ed121b9da974e8becabe30cb9db922df87aa067337f   Sunday September 27th 2020 The club received an update from the SPFL Joint Response Group on Thursday 23rd September, and would like to share the content with supporters:
SPFL-square-300x300.jpeg&key=2057d1d27657baf72246142814b2e601a9c6650fc6999844c5bb297b0313f480“The Joint Response Group (JRG) has held initial discussions on the implications for Scottish football of yesterday’s announcement that the return of supporters has been postponed and, consequently, that no further fan pilot events will be considered until the national outlook for Covid-19 improves significantly.
Significantly, the Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing, Joe FitzPatrick MSP, has confirmed to us that he has written to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society seeking urgent discussions regarding a package of financial recovery for sport, accessible to Scotland.
The Minister also expressed the gratitude of the Scottish Government for the efforts that Scottish football has made in playing its part in the national effort to tackle the pandemic.
The JRG would like to put on record our thanks to all clubs who have played their part by adhering to the strictest measures to combat Covid-19, despite the enormous financial toll it has inflicted on them.

The game in Scotland depends on ticket revenue far more than the vast majority of professional leagues across Europe. We usually see over five million supporters per season attending Scottish league matches – with 43% of all revenue generated via gate receipts. The prospect of that vital income being lost for the majority of the season – far less in its entirety – could be catastrophic for many of our clubs.
We are committed to working with government to avert that crisis.
Rod Petrie, Scottish FA President and chair of the JRG, said: “We understand the challenges and decisions facing the Scottish Government and society as a whole and Scottish football will continue to play its part in helping the country overcome the pandemic.
“It is also incumbent on us to safeguard the futures of our football clubs, whilst at the same time respecting and adhering to public health guidelines. We welcome the correspondence from Scottish Government to the UK Minister for Sport and Civil Society and hope for a positive outcome for the national game and Scottish sport as whole.”

Neil Doncaster, CEO of the SPFL, commented: “We are engaging with the Scottish Government to underline the existential threat to many of our clubs, and to the huge community, economic and sporting benefits they deliver, if this grave situation continues without meaningful public financial support. We therefore welcome the intervention of the Scottish Government in seeking urgent discussions with the UK Government about a package of financial recovery for Scottish sport.”

That doesn’t really give us any info we didn’t already know tbh.

We knew that fans in stadiums would be pushed back. We knew the Scottish Government would be offering financial support to football if fans in stadiums is pushed back too long.

I think there's a very real difference between McGlynn knowing his best defence, and the defences he's playing in these friendlies. I think McGlynn might've said as much in this week's Review. 
I suppose the one big question mark is where Musonda fits in the pecking order, but we'll not get clarity on that until he's fit again. 
The issue being if he is not fit by the season start he can't get gametime unless in league, games. Bounce games against other teams will not exist.