The New Raith Rovers Thread

Mendy was done in that photo. I wonder if mcglynn is giving him pre season to see where he's at.
Didn't look any better in the highlights either. His positional sense is lacking. Same can be said for bene a few times as well though. It's a pre season game at the end of the day so as long as the squad get their fitness up and learn from it then the result doesn't matter.

So it would appear the first trialist is Aaron Arnott from Fife Elite. 

Created one decent chance and had one gifted to us before the goal, so not entirely doom and gloom. Decent composure from Coulson too. It does look like the line-up I'd guessed at earlier, with Coulson taking up the wide left position in the attacking midfield three. It looks like he'll be going into that wide midfielder bucket alongside Anderson and Armstrong, but we could still do with someone else in there. 

Mendy's positioning is hugely suspect for the first. Benedictus has to take a lot of the responsibility for committing himself at the halfway line, but Mendy seems to spot the danger initially and covers Dowds' run... and then gives up just before the cross is delivered. Not great.  

No arguments about either penalty. No intent in it, but Bene's hand is up in a daft place. Gomis then gets played by Hendry's movement. A little naive for a player of his experience. 

Falkirk's third - you want to credit the striker for getting there first, but there's real rustiness from Thomson. If he's going to come, he needs to get there first. 

The fourth - it's a counter attack and there are a few things that could've been done better, but again Mendy doesn't cover himself in glory. I don't think you can even call it a cutback or a dummy, Connolly just vaguely waves his foot near the ball and Mendy breezes by, ending up six or seven yards away when his only job is blocking the shot. 

There's some good running from Duku in there, and Smith is really unlucky with his diving header. 

Not particularly encouraged that the highlights then show three free Falkirk headers in a row, culminating with the fifth goal. Benedictus selling his defence short for one of them, but again - that's to be expected after six months away. He's also not used to only having Mendy for company. Speaking of, it's Mendy's man who puts in the header from the corner. Jings. 

By the last goal, Bene and Nando both just look out on their feet. The movement from Falkirk does them both all ends up. 

Ultimately it's still only a minor indication of how things might go, and you really can't read too much into it. The fact that Thomson played the whole game tells you how much McGlynn saw it as fitness rather than setting up his first choice eleven, but I'm not seeing anything to convince me that Nando is going to be a particularly integral part of a Championship squad this year. The big question at the back, for me, is whether Musonda is in a position to usurp Davidson, and obviously there was no evidence for that today either way. It's all pretty much a known quantity in the midfield, and the other unknown is how much of an impact Duku and Ugwu can have. Not much light shed on that one (based on the highlights) either. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

The one on one ugwu had early on was a poor attempt, not testing the keeper. He did show a good touch and turn of pace, as did duku in the highlights though. Nando was out of position with alot of the attacks seen on the highlights. I'm not actually sure why he's jumping for a ball coming straight at him when the attacker is leaning forward to get on the end of it either.

f**k me we look poor. Can’t see how Mendy is being blamed for it though, the first was poor but then again, Tumilty should be tracking his runner. 
I’m not looking forward to another season with Thomson either.
I wasn't blaming mendy. Just highlighting where he looks weak. I'd love to be wrong but he isn't good enough for the championship unfortunately.

Thomson looks tentative.

Mendy still showing positioning issues, but seems to distribute well and has a motor.

Bene looks slow...dread seeing Davo...hopefully experience will keep them working at a higher level.

Some nice flashes from our new and young players.