The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Quick question gents. Are Rovers doing a streaming service this season that will be available on away supporters? Can’t see it being allowed for away fans to be at Starks for opening day as it stands

Details of the Pixellot system output is being decided by the SPFL/SFA

RaithTV will be available for overseas viewers however, as above this may be relaxed depending on the outcome of discussions.

If you're attempting to run a very tight ship in the middle of a global pandemic with no guarantee of crowds coming in all season then that's the market you're working in, yes. I wouldn't be handing out two year deals to anyone right now never mind someone who will slightly upgrade the right back position: that's a hostage to fortune that your club has created for itself. 

I don’t see what the issue is with offering a right back a two year deal? We need a right back just now and will still need one, no matter what, a year from now. I can’t imagine he will be on a fortune either. Makes good sense to me.

If you're attempting to run a very tight ship in the middle of a global pandemic with no guarantee of crowds coming in all season then that's the market you're working in, yes. I wouldn't be handing out two year deals to anyone right now never mind someone who will slightly upgrade the right back position: that's a hostage to fortune that your club has created for itself. 
Utter nonsense. I see virginton hasn't changed in the few years we have been away. The full back positions are some of the most difficult to fill. Having one on each side tied down to contracts gives some stability. It's really funny that the only person having a rant is a fan of the club we bought the player from [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

As much as I'm not massively comfortable with agreeing with VT he occasionally makes a good point in middle of his ranting. This is one of those times. Quite why any football club, with the degree of uncertainty around at the moment about the future, would start handing out multi season deals to anyone is beyond me. Unless it's a player with a clear onward resale value that they probably can't afford NOT to tie down for longer then it's pure folly.  Or unless it contains a cancellation opt out in the event of football closing itself down again.
We might be fine. We might have Championship sized crowds back by October, we might play an uninterrupted season, all may be well in the world and nobody will bat an eyelid but if we get a second spike, persistent local lockdowns, football closed down again either due to national outbreaks or persistent breaches of required protocols by players, closed doors for the whole season, etc and a Govt that has already ruled out any return of a furlough scheme they clearly can't really afford in the future then there will not be much sympathy for clubs who are left with multi year contracts they can neither fund nor get out of.
We're emerging out the other side of this initial pandemic relatively undamaged. Nobody's gone bust yet. But we did so because the shut down happened about 10 weeks from the end of most contracts and with the Govt picking up payroll costs for everyone for 4 or 5 months. If clubs have to go a medium term length of time again without that cash support then the majority of them won't survive it.
We have signed one, yes one player on a two year contract. The rest of the signings are one year deals on risky players from England probably on a low wage, coming up here to prove themselves. Much as the manager stated in interviews. He already stated the transfers are done for the season. I really don't see the issue here. Another fan of a club who hs done he haw in bringing in players this season having a rant.

2 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:
As much as I'm not massively comfortable with agreeing with VT he occasionally makes a good point in middle of his ranting. This is one of those times. Quite why any football club, with the degree of uncertainty around at the moment about the future, would start handing out multi season deals to anyone is beyond me. Unless it's a player with a clear onward resale value that they probably can't afford NOT to tie down for longer then it's pure folly.  Or unless it contains a cancellation opt out in the event of football closing itself down again.
We might be fine. We might have Championship sized crowds back by October, we might play an uninterrupted season, all may be well in the world and nobody will bat an eyelid but if we get a second spike, persistent local lockdowns, football closed down again either due to national outbreaks or persistent breaches of required protocols by players, closed doors for the whole season, etc and a Govt that has already ruled out any return of a furlough scheme they clearly can't really afford in the future then there will not be much sympathy for clubs who are left with multi year contracts they can neither fund nor get out of.
We're emerging out the other side of this initial pandemic relatively undamaged. Nobody's gone bust yet. But we did so because the shut down happened about 10 weeks from the end of most contracts and with the Govt picking up payroll costs for everyone for 4 or 5 months. If clubs have to go a medium term length of time again without that cash support then the majority of them won't survive it.

We have signed one, yes one player on a two year contract. The rest of the signings are one year deals on risky players from England probably on a low wage, coming up here to prove themselves. Much as the manager stated in interviews. He already stated the transfers are done for the season. I really don't see the issue here. Another fan of a club who hs done he haw in bringing in players this season having a rant.

Wind your neck back in. I'm not ranting about anything and I'm not particularly having a go at Raith Rovers either as they have signed ONE, yes ONE, player on a two year deal. Other clubs have signed more though. The debate happens to have moved here in response to VT's post being on here.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well you lot have made awful signings this summer, so I’d say you’re fairly damaged haha.

2 hours ago, foreverarover said:
3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have signed one, yes one player on a two year contract. 

Not to be pedantic but it's actually two players we've signed on 2 year deals - Tumilty and J MacDonald.

Well we have signed players on 2 year deals before who have had a clause which allowed them to leave before the deal was up, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there were clauses that worked the other way, especially in these times.  

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t see what the issue is with offering a right back a two year deal? We need a right back just now and will still need one, no matter what, a year from now. I can’t imagine he will be on a fortune either. Makes good sense to me.

Except that you have absolutely no idea what your actual income is going to be in October or December of this year, never mind in April 2022 when you'll still be expected to pick up the tab. Throw in the obvious instability in the boardroom that you're also discussing right now and it is pretty much the definition of an unnecessary risk. 

12 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Well we have signed players on 2 year deals before who have had a clause which allowed them to leave before the deal was up, I wouldn't be overly surprised if there were clauses that worked the other way, especially in these times.  

Why then did Tumilty specifically cite 'the security of a two year deal' as tone of his reasons for signing? We're not dealing with Lionel Messi here but rather journeyman footballers who want to know that they can count on a wage next August as well as this one. Which is why the much more common clause at this level is activating an extra year after a set number of first team appearances. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that you have absolutely no idea what your actual income is going to be in October or December of this year, never mind in April 2022 when you'll still be expected to pick up the tab. Throw in the obvious instability in the boardroom that you're also discussing right now and it is pretty much the definition of an unnecessary risk. 

Why then did Tumilty specifically cite 'the security of a two year deal' as tone of his reasons for signing? We're not dealing with Lionel Messi here but rather journeyman footballers who want to know that they can count on a wage next August as well as this one. Which is why the much more common clause at this level is activating an extra year after a set number of first team appearances. 

No idea.  Can't say its going to cause me too much bother.  If Raith Rovers do fall into oblivion, it wont be because we gave 2 year deals to 2 new players this Summer.  

John Sim owns the club and ground and is fucking minted.......championship glory awaits...

48 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

No idea.  Can't say its going to cause me too much bother.  If Raith Rovers do fall into oblivion, it wont be because we gave 2 year deals to 2 new players this Summer.  

Also, it's hardly like this boardroom 'instability' is a new thing. Sim has been a pain in the arse to everyone at Starks since he came into the picture in 2006 (that's not to be negative, without Sim there wouldn't have been club). Clark is not even the first chairman he's fallen out with (Though Alan 'This MAN' Young and his board of merry idiots is hardly mourned down Stark's way)

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Also, it's hardly like this boardroom 'instability' is a new thing. Sim has been a pain in the arse to everyone at Starks since he came into the picture in 2006. Clark is not even the first chairman he's fallen out with (Though Alan 'This MAN' Young and his board of merry idiots is hardly mourned down Stark's way)

Everyone here knows that Sim holds the power, as you say thats hardly been a new thing at all.  

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Everyone here knows that Sim holds the power, as you say thats hardly been a new thing at all.  

Yeah, I think a lot of fans of other clubs asume our chairman was a money man, or power at the club. Clark was basically the custodian of Sim's club on a day to day basis, and Sim has seemed happy enough to let him, and his predecessors get on with it, but its also a fact that with his level of holdings in club and ground that if there is any decision that Sim is set on, he can basically lay down the law, that's been the case at least since Caira left.

Edited by renton